cap replacement on octane LE?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

cap replacement on octane LE?

Post by ttocs »

Anyone ever done this? I know there is a boatload of em in there and it is about time for me. My brother and father just drove the truck back from AZ to In towing a trailer and now the fan sounds like an old VW for some reason. If I am going to take that big old cover off again I want to replace the caps as well as try to epoxy the coil/transformer/what ever makes that power supply noise from inside it.

Any chance I could just throw a power core in it?
bogart

Post by bogart »

yikes....the caps will be costly on that...I am unsure about the rattling...steves sounded like a train coming through the back of the truck and I sealed the grates up and it still did it....

I didn't really break the amp down at all so I don't know what it was internally that rattled so bad but it seems to be a consistent issue with the amp.....

good luck....I wouldn't muck with the powergrid in it....even discharging the cap will not render it completely impotent and you don't want to get into that arena. Well, maybe you do...I personally wouldn't as the risk of error could be dangerous....I have been bitten as you may say by a transformer that static had allowed the caps to charge up and while it wasn't life and limb type pain....it was scary enough to exercise caution....

You may be able to pull the p/s resistors and the diodes between the cap and the high v rails and cut the grid off so that it is isolated from the amp when you work on it.....You don't want an issue with a power core or grid when repairing that....trust me....it could be bad bad bad....
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I can't remember what it looked like inside the first and only time I had it apart.

The rattling with the amps is common with the TI amps, it is the rear panel but that is easily fixed with some sound damping on it.

The noise I mean is a high pitched squeel, power supply type noise that is commong from transformers and coils. Not sure which one but it sounds like it comming from the mids/highs side.

I will have to poke my head out and see how many caps I can count in there..........
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The caps in the powercore section should hardly ever fail. I have heard that sequel in PG power supplies before. I solved one by coating the transformer in epoxy, but this is probably not the best solution.
Jim Truett

Post by Jim Truett »

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the caps right now. They are way more robust than ones used in previous designs. Epoxy is really the only way I can think of to fix the transformer noise. Mine squeals like a stuck pig most of the time when it is cold.

I recommend mixing a small quantity of 30 minute epoxy on a plate. Use a small stick or similar implement to lightly coat the windings and toroidal core. Allow it to seep in between the windings as best as possible. That should be a permanent fix that will not alter it cosmetically very much.
Jim Truett

Re: cap replacement on octane LE?

Post by Jim Truett »

ttocs wrote:
Any chance I could just throw a power core in it?
No. The Octane LE cap bank is for the PS rail voltage not the 12v input. A power core is a no-go. The Bass Cube board sits below it as well. Space would be an issue too.