'glass enclosures, shape and sound

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
lazybird4pt6

'glass enclosures, shape and sound

Post by lazybird4pt6 »

Research ..... yes, really! :lol:

I remember reading abut this "magic box ratio" thing where you want to keep each of the box's side a certain length. What about when you 'glass something? I guess that (obviously) goes out the window when you deal with a non-standard shape.

With that in mind, I have some questions;

1) with regards to SHAPE (shape, not volume), just how dramatic can the sound of a speaker change? Anyone have any examples, or at least theories, they can share? I can't say for sure if this is a huge deal as I can always EQ things the way I want, but i'd at least like some kind of heads-up.

2) volume calculation - I remember reading two different methods here. One is to use that box stuffing stuff but I don't like that idea too much. The stuff is far too easily compressible, IMHO, for an decent measurement. Second method is to use water after the enclosure is made. This, of course, means that you're checking after the fact, but that's probably okay since some/most of my locations don't give me any choice to choose a size - it's all or nothing.

3) enclosure stiffness versus wall thickness - from an expense perspective I can understand using fleece along with the 'glass, but what if you really gotta eek out every last bit of volume you can? Would using carbon fiber fabric in place of the fleece not be a great alternative? Not so much for weight savings, but that of increased wall stiffness versus thickness? I've been messing with this stuff for a little bit now (i'm no longer afraid to 'glass, this is why!) and I could easily do this. Leaving expense out of the equation, might it be worth it?

Don't have a definite layout/plan just yet. I have some big decisions to make with the stuff I have in my posession right now. I've made changes before and feel that I may have taken a step back here and a step forward there, so to speak. This will all be for another thread (I think?).

Okay, that's it for now. Hit me and maybe i'll have more Q's ..... or not.

PATIA!
Andrew
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

1) Shape of a sealed enclosure doesn't mean too much. You just want to avoid doing a cube, because those cause standing waves, and standing waves are bad mmmmkay. If you are planning on glassing, I highly doubt you are planning on making a cube, so go right on ahead and make whatever shape you desire. Shape it any way you want, as long as it has proper airspace.

2) Foam packing pellets give a damn good estimate. Enclosure volume doesn't have to be perfect to sound good.

3) Fleece is good for shaping, but not strength. That's what chop mat is for. I have no experience in using carbon fiber with fiberglass, but I assume it would work fine (as long as you can soak it up a bit).

Give this a read too http://phoenixphorum.com/simple-fibergl ... vt437.html