Sneak Peek

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
retroaudioinc

Post by retroaudioinc »

MW3 wrote:Update time:

Guys this is a prototype of upper line Class D monoblock. Keep in mind, its a PROTOTYPE, so please don't over analyze this thing down to a single cold solder joint. ;) Instead I hope you can get a feel for the direction we are going...

- Overbuilt Dual Unregulated Power Supplies
- Handwound Power Supply Transformers
- Big Nasty Power Supply FETs
- Isolated Pre-amp Section
- Aluminum shaft potentiometers
- Easy click settings for exact crossover settings
- Panel Mounted RCAs
- 1/0 to 4 Gauge Power Terminals
- All Monoblocks are 1 ohm stable and strappable
- Clip Indicators
- Audio Precision System Two Production Line testing
- Extruded Aluminum heatsink with Evenflow techonology
- Heatsink features 10g per mm of mass (most amps are 7g per mm)
- Integrated cooling via endcap vents
- Each amp is shipped in its own soft felt protective cover

Will you be able to strap the amps and do plan to do any big class D 2k or 3k?
GX3

Post by GX3 »

You could say that.
ZX950 X2 1 blk 1 wht
MS1KTA black NIC
MS1KTA white NIB
MS2250TA (x3) 1 in Blue 1 in Red
MS2125TA
MAC200 NIB
MS275 (x2) 1 NIB
MPS2240 NIB
Tantrum 500.2 (x2)
SA1.0 (x2)
ZPA 0.5 X2
ZPA 0.3 X3
Ti DD10 ............
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

retroaudioinc wrote:Will you be able to strap the amps and do plan to do any big class D 2k or 3k?
It says right in that post that these amps would be strappable. It's still a R&D prototype though, I don't think PG has committed to making that one specific amp yet.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
retroaudioinc

Post by retroaudioinc »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:
retroaudioinc wrote:Will you be able to strap the amps and do plan to do any big class D 2k or 3k?
It says right in that post that these amps would be strappable. It's still a R&D prototype though, I don't think PG has committed to making that one specific amp yet.
Sorry looked right over that.. :)

All Monoblocks are 1 ohm stable and strappable :clap:
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Phienix Gold

Post by ttocs »

retroaudioinc wrote:MW3
Do you work at PG?
You might take notice of his signature :roll:
evo9

Post by evo9 »

Do you work at PG?
Dumb ? of the week! :roll:

Irongoats

Post by Irongoats »

evo9 wrote:
Do you work at PG?
Dumb ? of the week! :roll:

^^^^^hahahaha
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is Honor!
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:
smgreen20 wrote:Hay!!!!

I'm in the U.S.
I don't do metric!!!

Are the Ti mono blocks rated 1500 and 2500 @ 1 ohm or 2?
9" x 6.9" x 2" - S1000.1
9.8" x 6.9" x 2" - S400.4
Thanks FuzzFuzzStinkyNuts. :lol:
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
coffee_junkee

Post by coffee_junkee »

I'm really getting excited about a new install. Really digging the the Ti with the I/O and controls along one end. IMO, that makes the installation much easier to plan and build.

Now, bring on a nasty digital 4 way crossover with T/A and some EQ capability... Please!!!
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

Back from the dead...

Gimme gimme gimme gimme....... (OK, can we at least get a rough dimension of new titanium series, something small with 4 channels? I need MOAR channels!)

Seriously, my wife is going to hate me. So is my pocketbook.
El-Akeem

Post by El-Akeem »

deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

omg..... fuck I want to get a ti800.4 and ti65cs component speakers. I am going to get that set up for sure. I wonder how it compares to the rsd65cs speakers? I am excited!
Kenwood Excelon x592
x200.4(in process of repair OMFG YES)
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
using zx350 until repair of x200.4
deathcloud

Post by deathcloud »

Can we pre order you think? And when exactly is spring 2010? hahaha i am way too eager. At least this gives me time to acquire cash. I have a feeling the Ti line is going to cost a pretty penny.
Kenwood Excelon x592
x200.4(in process of repair OMFG YES)
rsd65cs front
rsd65cs rear
x1200.1
2 rsdc124
using zx350 until repair of x200.4
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

hmm looks like pg is gonna be very simple.

good for retailers, can t wait till after CES for all the snap shots.
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

I see everything but really miss a 8" midbass on that list!
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
El-Akeem

Post by El-Akeem »

...and a 5.25 inch component set.
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

anyone else notice the complete lack of 2-channel amps? Personally, I dig 4-channels - go active, bridge for more overhead, etc... but even on the lower line, no 2-channels...

Maybe someone figured out that there really is no need for a 2-channel amp when you make a bridgeable 4-channel. :shifty:
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

^thats exactly what they figured out.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

It's too bad for those of us who would like to run class A/B on our subs. Oh well, I realize I am not representative of the mass market. What sells, sells.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

stipud wrote:It's too bad for those of us who would like to run class A/B on our subs. Oh well, I realize I am not representative of the mass market. What sells, sells.
Don't you run your entire system off of the Ti500.4? It would be the same setup using the new 800.4. I'm assuming bridged will put out around 400 watts. Plenty for us SQ guys, and the bassheads can have the class D gazillion watt amps. I know not having a dedicated class A/B sub amp or two channel A/B amp that can be bridged for a sub, but I think Morgan already addressed this.
MW3 wrote:
Bfowler wrote:
MW3 wrote: All monoblocks in upper end line make full power into 1 ohm. Still make good power into 2 ohm, but they really want to see 1 ohm load.

what am i to do with my svc 4ohm subs? will there be a fairly large 2 channel that can be bridged (500+) that has an lpl?
Don't worry there are three "affordable" monoblocks that will make 500 watts into 2 ohm that have LPL. One is class a/b, one is class d and one class d that is really small.

Upper end amps still make good power at 2 ohm, but you should run them at 1 ohm to get max power out of the amp.

There are no two channels, before you scream sacrilegious. Two channels sales are non-existent. Also, you can bridge a 4 channel into a larger 2 channel amp.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Why not bridge the big 4 ch to a couple of subs...or a single DVC? Who REALLY needs more power than that? :)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

dwnrodeo wrote:Don't you run your entire system off of the Ti500.4? It would be the same setup using the new 800.4. I'm assuming bridged will put out around 400 watts. Plenty for us SQ guys, and the bassheads can have the class D gazillion watt amps. I know not having a dedicated class A/B sub amp or two channel A/B amp that can be bridged for a sub, but I think Morgan already addressed this.
I do indeed use the rear channels of my Ti500.4 for my subs. If I were to hypotetically look for a new amp, it would be a 2ch A/B to power the sub at 4 ohms bridged, so I could add some midbasses to the front stage off the rear channels of the 500.4. 2ch amps may not sell as much, but I still think they are an important option to have, since you cannot totally replicate their usefulness with 4 channels and monoblocks. I figure they will probably come out later if there's enough demand for them, for now we are definitely getting the most important amps.

Since the smallest new Ti sub amp is going to be 1500w, which I think is an absolutely pointless amount of power for any SQ purposes (though I may consider running one at a higher impedance), this forces me to use the smaller R-series class D monoblocks for sub power. I just don't see myself installing a run of the mill class D monoblock though. I also have a subjective bias against 1 ohm optimized amplifiers, since towing the PG line over the years trained me to think it is important for amplifiers to make power at higher impedances. Everyone and their dog has kilowatt 1 ohm amps, but only PG made amps that would play over a kilowatt at 4 ohms (T1500.1, X1200.1, ZPA0.5). I always thought low impedance optimization was a sign of "cheap" amps. But clearly when we had our brainstorming sessions, I was one of very few who weren't asking for multi kilowatt amps and subs, so I am definitely not the majority opinion.

I am curious to see what the size of the new Ti 4 channel amps is going to be. I am limited in space with what I can install under my parcel shelf... the Ti500.4 or maybe an X100.4 is about as big as I could fit. Then again without fan cooling I am not sure the new amps would be able to be mounted upside down anyways, which would be a dealbreaker in my case.

This is all speculation at this point so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I will hold out for internal pics of the Ti 4ch amps. Also very curious to see the new components and subs. Since the RSD series was so excellent, I would like to see that taken another step higher in the Ti series.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Audiophiliac wrote: Who REALLY needs more power than that? :)
:-s

..................everybody. Even if ya don't use all of it, you'd still like have it to use. :wink:

Never been a 2-chn guy myself so it doesn't bother me.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

I do not see it that way. I ran my system off an MQ430 once for a few months. A pair of 2 ohm ID CXS62 and a pair of small subs in a sealed box at 4 ohms.

I could play any music I wanted at any volume level that was comfortable (and sometimes not so comfortable), and it sounded awesome no matter what.

What could I possibly gain by adding more power? Play it louder? No thanks. It was plenty loud for me and would go beyond that by a good margin if I stood on the volume knob. Sound better? Not likely.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Audiophiliac wrote:What could I possibly gain by adding more power? Play it louder? No thanks. It was plenty loud for me and would go beyond that by a good margin if I stood on the volume knob. Sound better? Not likely.
Ah my friend, you and I are certainly a dying breed :lol:

If there's another labor dabor in Portland you ought to come out and hear all their installs. I used to think to myself "who in the right mind needs that much bass" until I met these guys. Truly a bass hungry bunch :lol: