Crossover Setting

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Phoenixcolt

Crossover Setting

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Hope everyone is well and having a great day.

Does anyone know about where the 60 Hz mark is on an RSd1200.1 LP xover?

I played a 60 Hz test tone and tried to adjust to what sounded right but my subs share airspace and I am not sure I got the right position with the xover knob.

I started w the xover knob all the way to the left and turned it rightward until the line in the knob is aiming at the R in the abbreviation:FREQ right above the gain knob. Does that sound about right or a little too much?
Rides History-www.cardomain.com/id/HotColt22

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Play a 60Hz test tone, hook up a voltmeter, set your crossover to the highest setting. Now turn it down... once you hit 60, the voltage will start dropping.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Ah, I wondered if there was a way with a voltmeter, thank you.

I thought these crossovers were all set because they were very close on the amps and I figured the deck crossovers could help as well by solidifying my numbers but those deck crossovers are not that effective I realized last night...at least this one isn't...Pioneer p7600dvd.

My 9ms were still seeing the whole range and I think it played a factor in that buzzing I described recently in my 9ms.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Ok, new crossover question.

Can I trust the crossover settings of a quality headunit like the Clarion 955MC and accept them as accurate? I am going to go active whenever I finally get to do my VW install but I don't want to hurt my comps.

This headunit has 3 way setup capability kinda like a pioneer 880 so I can adjust crossovers and TA of the tweeters, mids, and subs independently. Are those crossovers going to cut it to the point that I will not have to toy with my amp crossovers in addition?

I have a 900.7 so if the hu won't cut it, the amp will def be able to, but before I get my sub(s), I will be using an RSd500.4 so I need to be able to rely on those deck crossovers if they r actually able to do their job. Also, the HU xovers would be easier to set than the amp xovers so I would almost rather use the deck if it is safe to do that but not if the deck xovers are very inferior.

Is it a must to set both amp and hu crossovers?

I think I know the answer to this one but...are the amp xovers going to be a better xover over all than the deck xovers?

I would like to eliminate one set of crossovers and am trying to get to the bottom of which one would be the better candidate. Setting 2 full sets of crossovers I feel would lead to a hole in the frequencies somewhere and I don't want to risk that.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

If you want to use the LPL, you will have to use the lowpass crossover on the amp (just put it in lowpass, and set the crossover to the highest frequency). Otherwise you can just leave them in bypass and use the HU. I have found the crossovers in premium HU's to be quite accurate. The ones in the amp are "better", but I have tried hard, and I couldn't hear the difference between my DEX-P1R or my 900.7 crossovers. Doing it from the HU has the added benefit of messing around with it on the fly, where as the amp is more suited for "set it and forget it".
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Excellent, I hoped that would be the answer...and I did temporarily forget about the LPL, but the LPL is only connected with the sub outs isn't it?

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Another question, I have a Pioneer 7600DVD in my other car and when I was recently resetting all of my crossovers, I found that frequencies lower than the 63 highpass through the deck were getting through to my 9ms but just not as pronounced.

Anyone know why this would be happening? Could it be my setup and the length of the signal path or anything?

I have the front signal deck rcas going into a ti500.4 for my elite 51s that are set up with the passive that came with it and amp hp so the aux out would get an lp at 150 or so. The aux out goes to a ti600.2 that powers my 9ms.

This is all done off the rear channel for the front stage because this is the way I had to set it up but it is receiving the front signal. The 3 F R switch is set to R so the aux out gets it's signal after and under the rear in(hp amp-lp aux setting).

The deck is set hp 63 for the front stage but I also have the 600.2 set hp at about this 63 mark that the deck shows since I realized the deck might not be cutting it.

This 63 should be for that entire front stage but when I was playing test tones of individual frequencies lower than 63 Hz, I still heard them getting to my 9ms before I engaged the amp crossovers properly.

So what could be causing this? Are they poor crossovers? Is something incorrect in my signal path between the 2 amps?

Also is there a secret way to turn off Pioneer Deck crossovers? I can probably afford to let the 9ms see something a bit lower than 63 if it were possible but I am guessing it is not.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12