Phoenix Gold ZPA 0.5

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ShockTherapy

Phoenix Gold ZPA 0.5

Post by ShockTherapy »

Hi everyone! I haven't had the opportunity to post on here so I figured I'd give it a shot. I just purchased a Minty ZPA 0.5 and would like some opinions on the amp. I've heard that it's a fantastic amp and is one of the best that PG has produced. I'm running 2 JL 10w3v2 subs in a sealed spec enclosure. Will the ZPA be too much for them? I also have the TBA-T line transmitter/driver.

Here is my setup for reference:

Eclipse AVN-7000 DVD/CD/MP3/NAV
Arc Audio 4150 CXLR
Phoenix Gold ZPA 0.5
Alumapro 15f Capacitor
MbQuart QSD-216 (Frontstage)
MbQuart QSD-210(Rear fill)
(2) JL Audio 10w3v2

I'm upgrading because I've noticed that ever since I have moved to a Class D sub amp I feel that the SQ has suffered. I am a SQ nut and will do what it takes to bring my setup to audiophile standards.
Attachments
As you can see, this thing is MINT!
As you can see, this thing is MINT!
!Bi,gg+QBGk~$(KGrHqEOKj0Esls1Pr5RBLO2gpIYQQ~~_3.jpg (65.32 KiB) Viewed 10552 times
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Welcome!!!

The ZPA's are really nice amps. I take it that the 0.5 will be on sub duty then...... How much signal power does the deck provide? 3v-4v doesn't cut it with that amp so a line driver will make it sound much better. Ya might find yerslf a 0.3 for the front stage and replace the ARC amp. I'm a big fan of matching amps in an install.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
ShockTherapy

Post by ShockTherapy »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:Welcome!!!

The ZPA's are really nice amps. I take it that the 0.5 will be on sub duty then...... How much signal power does the deck provide? 3v-4v doesn't cut it with that amp so a line driver will make it sound much better. Ya might find yerslf a 0.3 for the front stage and replace the ARC amp. I'm a big fan of matching amps in an install.

I will never get rid of the Arc. I've owned McIntosh. Zapco, Audison, Tru... and the 4150 is the best amp I've owned. As for the 0.5 I purchsed it with the TBA-T balanced Transmitter/Line driver. It's overkill for my 2 10w3v2 subs but the SQ should be on the money! I will also be using an alumapro 15 farad Carbon Cap.
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

I will never get rid of the Arc. I've owned McIntosh. Zapco, Audison, Tru... and the 4150 is the best amp I've owned.
Now that is saying something! All nice amps.

The ZPAs are in theory the best of the best from PG. It should treat you right... Some will argue the little M25 for pure reference SQ.

If you are not already aware of it, check out www.diymobileaudio.com there are some EXTREME SQ guys over there... In fact they might not let you join for having matched MB components ;) It is a fun place to read, but a different level for most folks.

Welcome to the Phorum!
2003 Saab 9-3 Vector: Faital, Dayton, JBL,+ DIY mixed up mess
1979 Porsche SC: Kenwood X-994, X100.2, RSd6.5cs
1971 Chevy C-10: wind noise
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

AllenAudio,

http://www.carstereo.com/forum/profile.cfm?userid=16037

I knew I knew you. You're on my friends list over at carstereo.com
Welcome to the phorum. This is where I ran off to. I was starting to have issues logging on over there plus the people here are better.

I've had a 0.3 on my fronts, but sold it and now have a 0.5 for my subs too. The Eclipse deck you have is 5v correct? With the amount of power you need and that that amp can produce you should be OK. I'd still use the TBA to that amp to up the signal. Besides in SQ isn't it better to have more power then needed? :wink:

So Welcome to the site. You can see most of my install > www.carstereo.com/smgreen20 ,I had issues logging in so I can't update my profile anymore. I'll soon be making a log here, which what you can't find there, you can find here. Nice truck BTW. What year is it? Mines a Y2K.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
El-Akeem

Post by El-Akeem »

ShockTherapy wrote: I will never get rid of the Arc. I've owned McIntosh. Zapco, Audison, Tru... and the 4150 is the best amp I've owned.
:clap:
Without any doubt, the 4150 is one of the best Robert Zeff amps ever. It is definitely the best amp out of the CXL/XXK series.
evo9

Post by evo9 »

ShockTherapy wrote:

I will never get rid of the Arc. I've owned McIntosh. Zapco, Audison, Tru... and the 4150 is the best amp I've owned. As for the 0.5 I purchsed it with the TBA-T balanced Transmitter/Line driver. It's overkill for my 2 10w3v2 subs but the SQ should be on the money! I will also be using an alumapro 15 farad Carbon Cap.
Very wise! I have the xxk series & can't say enough about them. My 6 ZPA amps has been sitting in the closet over 10 years now.

ShockTherapy

Post by ShockTherapy »

El-Akeem wrote:
ShockTherapy wrote: I will never get rid of the Arc. I've owned McIntosh. Zapco, Audison, Tru... and the 4150 is the best amp I've owned.
:clap:
Without any doubt, the 4150 is one of the best Robert Zeff amps ever. It is definitely the best amp out of the CXL/XXK series.

I purchased the 4150CXLR a few years ago replacing 2 PPI Art Series amps. I had an A600.2 running my front components and an A200.2 on the rear fill. I know what you're thinking... replace the Art Series??? I wanted to save some space and I heard so many great things about this amp. I bought it for $350 used and have been in love ever since. I have this running 2 QSD component sets and I've been urged by the local dealers to enter SQ contests. I've used it all! I even had 2 Zapco Z300C2-SLX amps running my components and the Arc was by far my choice. I don't think I will EVER replace this amp unless mine blows up! And don't get me wrong, I'm an Electrical Contractor who makes over $250k a year, I can buy what I want. The ARC cxlr is my choice at any price.
Now I just hope the ZPA0.5 can keep up! I will be running it at 2ohm at 500x1. I know, It'll do 1000 but I don't need that much power. I will be using it on 2 Peerless XXLS 4ohm subs which should sound outstanding.

Anyone have any opinions on the Peerless XXLS 10" subs? I've heard that for the price it's hard to beat the pure SQ these things provide.
Tamerz

Post by Tamerz »

I used to have two ZPA0.5's. One powered my fronts and one powered the subs. Awesome amps but super fragile. Both of them ended up at the shop once. The second time it took out my $400 Focals.

They sound great and looked awesome but just weren't the most reliable.
Bertje

Post by Bertje »

Can somebody tell me what amount of idle current the ZPA 0.5 is doing? I read in the manual 8A, but I think thats a lot of A...
Thanks!
Rob.
All about Car Audio www.12vhifi.nl
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

that sounds about right. They were not know to improve your milage much, just means your heater will not need to be on as high.
GX3

Post by GX3 »

Can't believe no one has brought this up yet. You will want to have the caps looked at in the 0.5 before they fail and starts the amp on fire.

http://phoenixphorum.com/help-me-with-z ... eplacement
ZX950 X2 1 blk 1 wht
MS1KTA black NIC
MS1KTA white NIB
MS2250TA (x3) 1 in Blue 1 in Red
MS2125TA
MAC200 NIB
MS275 (x2) 1 NIB
MPS2240 NIB
Tantrum 500.2 (x2)
SA1.0 (x2)
ZPA 0.5 X2
ZPA 0.3 X3
Ti DD10 ............
Bertje

Post by Bertje »

I just recapped it, and was searching on specs of this little beast. Now upgrade it to 4x 10000uF instead of the 2x 10000uF + 2 x 4700uF original rail caps. 8)
So 8 amps idle current is normal? :roll:
Rob.
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

I dont mean to threadjack but I just saw this pic http://www.carstereo.com/images/install ... %2D1%2Ejpg and have to ask - what is that fuse/ground block combo and where did you get it? I love it!
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
(2) RSdC 102 10" Subwoofers - Sold
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

NewOldStock wrote:
I dont mean to threadjack but I just saw this pic http://www.carstereo.com/images/install ... %2D1%2Ejpg and have to ask - what is that fuse/ground block combo and where did you get it? I love it!
that there looks like one of those old skool streetwires distro blocks..
Square 1
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

8A idle current seems a bit steep, but really is not that unreasonable. They are biased to keep them in Class A mode a bit longer, and that would account for higher idle current.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Bertje

Post by Bertje »

Ok thanks, Eric. I will also measure the bias and do some adjustments to get both channels at the same level.
Only a Genesis class A (DM-A) and Audison Sedici/Trenta are at the same level of (high) bias of 2-3A per channel.
Rob.
natthai

Re: Phoenix Gold ZPA 0.5

Post by natthai »

Dear Mr. ShockTherapy

My name’s Nat, from Thailand. I’m a new comer for car audio.
Recently, I’ve just bought 2nd hand a power amp “ARC 4150 CXLR”
and now I’m seeking an owner’s manual.
I try to ask somebody in Thailand, nobody seems to have it.

I spent my time to seek it from internet until met you post subject on
Phonix Gold ZPA 0.5 on 31 Dec,2009. On this topic, made me know
You have “The Best ARC 4150 CXLR”

So, I would appreciate it, if you sent me the manual by email.

My email address is [email protected]

Thanks in advance. :D
Nat

If you have a free time, welcome to Thailand.
:)