0P AMPS in ZPA0.5 V2

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
bri

0P AMPS in ZPA0.5 V2

Post by bri »

Is there anyone here on the forum that can tell me where inside of the ZPA 0.5 the opamps are located?I tried to find them,but I couldn't.
I want the opamps upgrade to be done.
Or aren't there any?
I need to take pictures of the opamps for my technician so he can order the one he needs for the uprade.
If somebody can send me a pic with the opamps in the amp,I would appreciate that very much.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Brian.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I don't think there are any. They likely used all discrete parts instead for those amps.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
bri

OPAMPS IN ZPA 0.5 V2

Post by bri »

So Eric if PG didn't use opamps in those amps,do you know what they used?
What parts can I upgrade to get a better SQ?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Instead of op-amps they used discrete parts. As in a bunch of transistors, resistors, and capacitors, doing what an op-amp would normally do in any other amp.

If you want to get better SQ out of it, you can start replacing every part on it with something better. Although, I doubt you will hear the difference in the end.

If you do start replacing parts, replace the caps in the signal path first. This is your best bet to getting noticeable sound improvement.

Since the ZPA is PGs best effort to make a perfect SQ amp with plenty of power, if you want better SQ, you really need to use a different and better circuit. Which actually means you need to use an amp from a different company. But good luck finding a better one. PGs is very simple and simple sounds best.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
bri

Post by bri »

Thanks Eric,
Now I know that I don't have to look for opamps to upgrade, I'll surely let the caps in the signal path be replaced.
Which brands are the best for replacing the caps in the signal path?

Thanks,
Brian.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I would use WIMA caps if it were me.
bri

Post by bri »

Eric is it necessary to replace the WIMA caps with higher values or the same value?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The same value. If you change the value you might actually create or change a filter point which would really trash the frequency response and therefor the SQ of the amp.
Bertje

Post by Bertje »

Hi Brian,
I will have a look at the capacitors in your amp. As I understand there are no WIMA's in there right now. WIMA is a good brand for foilcapacitors MKT or MKP so exchange is a (small) increase in SQ. The better type foilcapacitor is MKP, but they are larger and maybe they doesn't fit on the pcb.

See ya,
Rob.
All about Car Audio www.12vhifi.nl