us amps tube amp

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Thunderdome

us amps tube amp

Post by Thunderdome »

anyone know anythiing about this amp, US Amps AX-TU 300C Tube amp......tubes in a car :hmm: I would think this would run pretty hot sorry bout the pic only one I had
Attachments
159976_thumb_20691e3b0661cfdd7817f65dee38ca8b[1].jpg
159976_thumb_20691e3b0661cfdd7817f65dee38ca8b[1].jpg (14.63 KiB) Viewed 11204 times
-
-
-
Remember: The chart serves only as a starting point. Ultimately you must use your ears as a guide.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

it would seem to me that not only is the vibrations a hazards place for a tube. but any sonic details you are gaining from a tube amp would be lost in a car environment
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Thunderdome

Post by Thunderdome »

Bfowler wrote:it would seem to me that not only is the vibrations a hazards place for a tube. but any sonic details you are gaining from a tube amp would be lost in a car environment
this is true and how do they deal with all the heat a couple tubes gives off? I am tempted to pick it up just to check it out, just wondering if anyone had used one or new something about it
-
-
-
Remember: The chart serves only as a starting point. Ultimately you must use your ears as a guide.
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

what the issue with a little heat off of a tube, compared to an old orion hcca running into a 1/4 load? I agree with the vibration issue of the tubes, also the fact that tubes do not react well to being powered on and off- they like being powered up and not losing bias voltage powering down-
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

those are only input stage tubes.... 12ax7's or thereabouts.
I had two different tube amps by them (US AMPS)
the AX-TU4360 (NO Xover) the best tuber (and amp for that matter) i had ever heard...
AND the AX-TU1000 for the sub duty- and they really fucking rocked.
Their not tube driven, although greg @ USAMPS will state to the contrary... BUT they are (those are) only input stage tubes (known as 12ax7's or a variance thereof) and no way around that- they are not driver tubes (or whatever they are called klike you would see in the Other Audiophile Tube Amps- think those are 6LX's or something- sure there are many driver tubnes out there, but 12ax7's are input stage
and in fact IIRC they did not get hot what-so-ever, maybe a lil warm to touch, but not like a tube driver

The AX-TU4360C is the same amp as the AX-TU4360, but w/ xover- and there is/was no comparison...
I sold the 4360, for good money, then p/u'ed the 4360C thinking i would ahead of the game BUT BOY WAS I WRONG>

If i could ever find the 4360 again... or even like the 600 or the 300 you shared above- i might/could/would be on fence about swapping out my gear to using the 4360 or 600 for front stage.

It was the most warmest/ most full sounding front stage i had ever heard- havent heard much in my time of good SQ... BUT i mean i could hear Bill Withers breathing between versus, Michael Jackson Jerry curl rubbing/jingling on his shoulders- I mean beautiful. BUT Got into PG after the fall out of having the 4360C, and said that's pretty damn close enough for me! BUT the 4360, 300, or 600 tubers are very nice SQ sounding amps.. I must say!
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

tubes were used for a short time, and I think for a reason. A car is hard enough on solid state electronics let alone tubs.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

but wouldn't there be ( i think there is) some merit to the fact/point/idea of: Cars have also come a long way in suspension, handling, climate control, etc.. all around; and perhaps would be lot easier on them than 15/20 years ago? perhaps, enough to make it /them more viable- maybe, but maybe not i am not too too well versed on the the whole tube discussion, but i would think theres something to that....

AIK is that the 4360 i had was sounding FREE-KING SWEET! I mean real nice full warm sound - i wrote the guy i sold it to - think he was in malaysia (AND WAIT MIGHT HAVE BEEN WENG IN FACT- :evil: ) not sure... BUT wrote him like a year after i sold it and asked for it back for more than he paid and he declined....but said he would think of me when/if the time was to ever come about.
m
Haakon

Post by Haakon »

I have just bought a pair of TRU tech tube amps, got one and the other is in shipping now. One of them is a C-7.2AT all tube amp, pure class A, 2x13W, the other is a C7.2T, hybrid with tube pre-stage and transistor output stage. Going to use one for tweeters and one for midranges (Focal audiom), sure hope this won't suck :)

mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

now thats sweet- albeit no PG, but real nice!///!
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

those are amazing amplifiers- but what does that work out to? 400.00 a watt? Pretty close to that- anyway congrats on the means to acquire amazing equipment like that-
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

just look at the car the Tru's are in ....
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
Haakon

Post by Haakon »

This car is from the Tru website, its their old democar. I drive a VW Lupo :D I got the amps from the former Tru distributor in Norway, both NIB (well, the AT was tested a couple of hours indoors by a car audio mag doing a story on it).

I got the 7.2T about a week ago, the AT is in shipping now. They retailed for $6000 a piece here in 2005, I got both of them for a little over $2000 in total :)

Some pics of unboxing the C-7.2T:

And just had to break out the screwdriver and do a little digging :)

Image[/QUOTE]
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

Nice Haaon.... Nice...
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Stunning amps :shock:
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

whats the mark on the left side of the tubes almost looks like there is some damage :shock:
I love those amps very nice
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Haakon

Post by Haakon »

I did not notice this when I had the amp open, so I took of the lid again to inspect, and it seems the brown/copper coloured plastic coating has melted and run a bit, probably someone has been a little eager with the soldering iron on the other side of the board. Took another pic with a q-tip for size reference

Haakon

Post by Haakon »

Got this amp in the mail today, a NIB Tru Tech C-7.2AT class A 2x15W tube amp. Looking good next to my C-7.2T hybrid tube amp :)

sands1

Post by sands1 »

ttocs wrote:tubes were used for a short time, and I think for a reason. A car is hard enough on solid state electronics let alone tubs.

Ran my older TU-300 (black florida heatsink) in my suzuki samurai for four years. Offroading in some of the toughest environments ,I can tell you this......samurai's are tough as nails ,ask anyone who has had one, and my US AMPS TU-300 didn't miss a beat. The samurai needed repair now and then where my Tube amp did not.
Today apox 6 years after buying it , it's now in my sq setup (4runner) and runs like a top. The only repair on it was the output transistors had to be replaced (by US Amps) due to some wanker who stole it from my Samurai and crossed the speaker terminals while stealing it. A day after it was lifted I found it at a local pawn shop and went in with the original box with matching serial numbers and asked what they were doing with my amp LOL. Needless to say I got my amp back and well the scum bag got his too.
Anyways ,I find their SQ to be sweet and as close to nirvana for the $$$ as you can get.Their not Millbert's ,Tru Copper 7.2AT's or Zelos but then again their not $2500.00 Plus either.
All and all id take a newer ax-tu model over the older stuff as I've heard both and both Rock Hard, SQ wise their the same other than the newer AX line has a few more Watts per channel than its predecessor. Which I happen to like.
AX-TU 4360C
AX-TU 300C
TU-300 (older black heatsink)
And possibly comming soon AX-TU 1000C
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

^ very simliar set up i had once
AXTU-1000C
AX-TU4360 (no xover)

Like the 4360 w/o xover better- at that time i ran the USX3 and that was one of the best sounding xovers i had ever heard even till this day.

Think i am repeating myself though here... BUT yes, the hybrid tubers from US amps back in the day (IMO) were/are better than the newer ones w/ xovers...BUT having the xovers built in is nice feature... BUT i'm one of those guys that, the better part of me, thinks/feels that an amp should amplify and thats it. I know that there are exceptions to that- like the ZX's and TRU's, brax, etc.. that have robust Xovers in them... BUT was always pretty much a fan of amp's amplify, xovers crossover, etc... and whatnot
Thunderdome

Post by Thunderdome »

sands1 wrote:
ttocs wrote:tubes were used for a short time, and I think for a reason. A car is hard enough on solid state electronics let alone tubs.

Ran my older TU-300 (black florida heatsink) in my suzuki samurai for four years. Offroading in some of the toughest environments ,I can tell you this......samurai's are tough as nails ,ask anyone who has had one, and my US AMPS TU-300 didn't miss a beat. The samurai needed repair now and then where my Tube amp did not.
Today apox 6 years after buying it , it's now in my sq setup (4runner) and runs like a top. The only repair on it was the output transistors had to be replaced (by US Amps) due to some wanker who stole it from my Samurai and crossed the speaker terminals while stealing it. A day after it was lifted I found it at a local pawn shop and went in with the original box with matching serial numbers and asked what they were doing with my amp LOL. Needless to say I got my amp back and well the scum bag got his too.
Anyways ,I find their SQ to be sweet and as close to nirvana for the $$$ as you can get.Their not Millbert's ,Tru Copper 7.2AT's or Zelos but then again their not $2500.00 Plus either.
All and all id take a newer ax-tu model over the older stuff as I've heard both and both Rock Hard, SQ wise their the same other than the newer AX line has a few more Watts per channel than its predecessor. Which I happen to like.
AX-TU 4360C
AX-TU 300C
Hey welcome aboard Chris nice to see you drop by :D
-
-
-
sands1

Post by sands1 »

I hear what your saying mhyde and I would agree to some extent.

And by the way can you give me your opinion on your AX-TU1000C, Id really like to hear your account of the amp as I may be going in that direction soon.

Less is sometimes more, but I just don't understand where you have a fully defeatable crossover by setting to full on the amp and then that signal isn't really modified at all ,what would be the difference?

I've even read people saying that adding something like a Tru line driver to a rca chain, when not needed (4volts already),would/can muddy the signal. I just can't see it though. Quality built parts and the engineering that goes into them, its not the same as degrading the signal quality with some cheapo snake oil type thing or having a loud button on a deadhead.
sands1

Post by sands1 »

Thunderdome wrote:
sands1 wrote:

AX-TU 4360C
AX-TU 300C
Hey welcome aboard Chris nice to see you drop by :D

Thanks for the invite Tim, this is a pretty kickin board, great stuff here.

:clap: