AudioControl EQL repair suggestions?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
JayGold

AudioControl EQL repair suggestions?

Post by JayGold »

Here is my AudioControl EQL Series II which has never been used due to a damaged gold RCA connector, it basically detached from the board and its partner is loose on the board as well.

Any suggestions as to repair or locating a RCA replacement block which I can resolder?
Attachments
AC EQL RCA 002.jpg
AC EQL RCA 002.jpg (59.64 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
AC EQL RCA 003.jpg
AC EQL RCA 003.jpg (59.24 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
AC EQL RCA 004.jpg
AC EQL RCA 004.jpg (60.39 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
AC EQL RCA 005.jpg
AC EQL RCA 005.jpg (60.57 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
bogart

Post by bogart »

I did an install last year and the eq I installed....ebay special, tanked....It was sent back to audiocontrol for repair....37 bucks and shipping and they put a brand new board in it....hard to beat that.....somethings are just worth sending back to the manufacturer
bogart

Post by bogart »

you may be able to source a whole new rca pin for it though...just replace the entire peice....soldering up rca inputs nearly always looks like ass and more often then not, will break again. I would search digikey and see if they have something that will fit....bet they do...
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Digikey has those exact RCA jacks, but it can be hard to find them. I had to find some several years ago for another Audio Control product, and I did find them after a lot of digging.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
JayGold

Post by JayGold »

bogart wrote:I did an install last year and the eq I installed....ebay special, tanked....It was sent back to audiocontrol for repair....37 bucks and shipping and they put a brand new board in it....hard to beat that.....somethings are just worth sending back to the manufacturer
I just may send it to them for repair, however these jacks are so cheap I'd like to modify them with something more heavy duty. The reason it's busted is my PG Zero Point RCA Cables took that gold plated cover right off first time it was disconnected. :evil:
Last edited by JayGold on Tue May 11, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayGold

Post by JayGold »

Eric D wrote:Digikey has those exact RCA jacks, but it can be hard to find them. I had to find some several years ago for another Audio Control product, and I did find them after a lot of digging.
I looked, but that site just gives me a headache :wink: I really don't know what it would be called under Connectors and they ask for waaaay too much detailed info.

Found these, close but not the same:

http://uk.digikey.com/1/3/audio-connectors
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I bet you could install some really nice chassis mount RCAs (sort of like those on the PG MS amps), then you would never have to worry about breaking them off.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
JayGold

Post by JayGold »

Eric D wrote:I bet you could install some really nice chassis mount RCAs (sort of like those on the PG MS amps), then you would never have to worry about breaking them off.
That's exactly what I was considering!

Something like this:

http://www.apexjr.com/images/RCA1.jpg

Check out his site, some interesting products: http://www.apexjr.com/
bogart

Post by bogart »

that would work fine....looks like to me...can't hurt to try....
JayGold

Post by JayGold »

bogart wrote:that would work fine....looks like to me...can't hurt to try....
Audiocontrol wants $85.00 to repair and I have to cover shipping...no deal.
I'm going to take my chance, take my soldering skills and get some solid terminals and wire them in similar to the PG M, MS, MPS series amps RCA's.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I shorted out one of the ground traces on my DQS. Sent it in for $35 + shipping, new board and updated software. I'd just send it in. Save yourself the time and money. They had my DQS back to me in under 2 weeks from the time I sent it out till the time I got it back.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

I replaced one on an X-Treme Audio 4 channel amplifier, was a fairly easy job. Just unsolder the old one, and install a new one! It took me about 10min and worked great!
He appreciates your support but he aint beggin for it