Bridged ZX450 for splits......

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
SAM77H

Bridged ZX450 for splits......

Post by SAM77H »

As title states I am considering bridging the amp so as to have the 250rms per side for the splits. Would this double the distortion and not be advisable?

Am running passive for the splits obviously and active off my 600.4 on my 8" midbasses

Obviously I will be wiring the RCA's so as to keep the stereo correct.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

Yes, you'll certainly increase the distortion levels...BUT the figures will still be well within an acceptable range and the difference won't be audible. What you will be able to notice are the benefits of drastically increased headroom and for that reason alone I highly recommend this plan of attack for any responsible listener.
SAM77H

Post by SAM77H »

sweet. I love it when a plan comes together !
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I ran a ZX450 this way for close to a year and loved every minute of it. I think my components loved it as well...
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
SAM77H

Post by SAM77H »

excellent. My Hybrid Audio Legatia's arrived yesterday so I am deciding how to set it up......

amps are zx450
Tantrum 600.4 and 1200.1

Splits L41-2x and L8
Sub JL 13w7
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

one thing is when you bridge it i dont think you can get both the front and rear channels to have the same cross over frequency.the rear channel i think would be crossed over lower. or maybe you guys know some thing i dont it just seems like ive had that prob before.one weird thing was when i bridged mine on two lanzar pro 12's one of them was moving an evil looking 2inchs while the other was only moving 1 1/2 inchs.something was weard and maybe not the same thing as on highs.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

SAM77H, I loved how the Legatia's sound. A guy I know has the 6,4,1 set up in his car (he competes in the ?MECAi? sound off circuit) and it was very loud and well..... clean. You'll love those. I've been tinkering w/the idea of getting those as well. I have yet to run my 450 bridged to 2 chs, but have toyed with the idea as well. For now I run passively active so I'm staying in 4 ch mode for now.

The Golden One, when you say LANZAR Pros, what years were those? I had the Pros from '92 and miss them greatly. A friend still has his, unused.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

those are from around 96 i dont know if they are any different than any others i do know they pound.the first time i heard those pro 12,s dude had some in a tiny civic hatch in a huge box that was the trend back in the day.that had to the hardest hitting pair of 12,s iv ever heard. it was insane to sit in that car flippin insane. you mite be a redneck if your speaker box is bigger than your back seat and trunk space.
SAM77H

Post by SAM77H »

I just looked at the amp and the front channel goes from 30-600Hz same as the back but front has a 10x frequency multiplier switch so you could have a different range if you wanted.
winno

Post by winno »

Sorry to put a damper on things BUT...

While you'll end up with gobs more power and great dynamics, you may 'possibly' not like the sound from the midrange and up when in bridged mode.

I dunno.

Try it bridged. Then try it unbridged. You'll probably find that in unbridged mode, the sound will be sweeter and smoother.
That's what I noticed from my own experience.

Bottom line, try both ways and then decide.

If you run unbridged and you have a couple of spare channels, try running your splits with the active cross overs in the amp. The amp x-overs are v good quality.
Active is great - will give you greater flexibility of x-over point and gain for each driver. You'll also end up with slightly better dynamics because there's no passive network soaking up your watts.

I currently run a bridged ZX475Ti into my midbasses and it goes hard, but that's in an active system. The mids and tweeters are fed an unbridged signal for SQ reasons.
[b]Source: Clarion HX-D2 & changer
Mass storage and GPS: Sony Ericsson X1i
Amps: PG ZX475Ti, 500.4, 600.2
Cable: Monster XLN Pro
Drivers: Morel MT23, CDM88, Elate 6, 2 x Infinity Perfect 10VQ[/b]

[i]Australian MEASQ Judge[/i]
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

The only reason I could see it not sounding good is if you exceed the limits of the components of your passive crossovers. Definitely try it
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

waynehead wrote:The only reason I could see it not sounding good is if you exceed the limits of the components of your passive crossovers. Definitely try it
My thoughts exactly. It should be nearly impossible to detect the increase in distortion from the amp by bridging it. Something else was likely breaking down.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

i bridged my 450 on my ti5's well just the midrange's via other crossover means.the main reason i didnt go with the ti xovers with tweets because i have the worst luck with blowing tweets.i wont lie it did sound like an out door concert hall and the dynamics deamed the 450 worty of having phoenix gold wrote on it.but compared to my 2125 or 0.3 it was like a really big cake with no icing on top.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

my golden ears have never heard the difference in distortion between an amp being bridged or regular mode. I too would have to agree it would have had to do with tuning or something else in the line.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

:-s :-s :-s

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:-$ :-$ :-$

:P :P :P

:wink: :wink: :wink:

8) 8) 8)
AKA "THE HATER"
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

the last time i tried this my comps. were passive-now i use a eclipse cd5000 which has built in overs as steep as 24db& i bypass the zx475ti xover-i thru on 2 ysplitters from my front rcas so the signa/frequency l is the same to front&rear , gain set the amp w/ sine wave test tone(& am runnin 4 ohm speakers so i used the sq.root formula, which should be 31.62v ac-i knew that was alot based on 250watts, so i gain set to 25vac) & it is nice!the seperation is EXCELLENT & i find im maybe taking volume up to half, at most- glad this thread was brought up; i had long forgotten 'bout tryn' this
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

... Why not just use a ZX500?

The ZX450 is an awesome amp, but to me it is best used active on a component set or 4-way.

IMHO
2003 Saab 9-3 Vector: Faital, Dayton, JBL,+ DIY mixed up mess
1979 Porsche SC: Kenwood X-994, X100.2, RSd6.5cs
1971 Chevy C-10: wind noise
SAM77H

Post by SAM77H »

Pillow wrote:... Why not just use a ZX500?

The ZX450 is an awesome amp, but to me it is best used active on a component set or 4-way.

IMHO
Well I have a ZX450 not a ZX500 hence my question. Also a ZX450 puts out 250w x2 (when bridged) compared to 150wx2 on a ZX500 (unbridged)
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

Have you considered running them active from the ZX450? That's how I'll be running my L1 & L3.

Apparently active operation is highly recommended for the Legatia line, and the rated output of the ZX450 should be more than enough as you won't be asking them to produce any real bass (that's what the L8's are for) :)
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

I suppose we just need someone to setup a double-blind listening test to compare a ti500.4 bridged stereo to a ti1000.2 in stereo operation and settle this once and for all!
SAM77H

Post by SAM77H »

paintguy wrote:Have you considered running them active from the ZX450? That's how I'll be running my L1 & L3.

Apparently active operation is highly recommended for the Legatia line, and the rated output of the ZX450 should be more than enough as you won't be asking them to produce any real bass (that's what the L8's are for) :)
I am definately considering this !
Just thought the 250rms passive may do more good than the 75rms active
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

paintguy wrote:Have you considered running them active from the ZX450? That's how I'll be running my L1 & L3.

Yes, Scott is all about running those puppies active. I'm running my L6's and my L1V2's that way now.

And plan on doing the same when my L6SE arrives, and later when the L4SE and L1 Pro SE does.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."