New Guy w/ questions

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
jsayre914

New Guy w/ questions

Post by jsayre914 »

Hello everybody,

I plan to tear down my system and start all over again, adding etc. I am going to do everything myself, so it wont be perfect but i want it to rock. The music i listen to is regge, jazz, rock, and hip hop. I would like some help with my build if you will.

I have

1 x pg pld1
1 x pg eq25i
1 x pg zx250
2 x pg xs2500

what i need recomendations

1 headunit
1 component 6.5 speaker system to run off the zx250
1 subwoofer enclosure loaded with 2 12's

all of this will be going into my 1973 porsche 914, plenty of room with 2 trunks :D any suggestions??

also was wondering about rca route.

head > pld1 > eq25i > then the eq lead goes to the zx250 and the bypass lead from the eq....

do i want to split that and run 2 rca to the left xs2500 and 2 rca to the right xs2500. this would create stereo bass. (worth it??)

or do i want to run that lead straight to the left xs2500 and then the output from that to the right xs2500. (mono bass)

what do you think.

Joe
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
Joseph Sayre
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

First, welcome to the phorum. Stick around and you'll see that it's quite the family round here.

Second, stereo bass, yes but no. Bass is supposed to be omnidirectional, but that certainly hasn't stopped people from doing it.

Third, your RCA path is correct: head > pld1 > eq25i > zx250 & xs2500

As far as a HU is concerned, in the $150 - $300 rang, every brand is going to be fairly matched, it really just depends on your preference. I like Pioneer, Bfowler here likes Kenwood, someone else likes Eclipse.

Either way, we want lots of pictures :twisted:
Boomshackalacka
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Re: New Guy w/ questions

Post by Bfowler »

jsayre914 wrote:Hello everybody,

I plan to tear down my system and start all over again, adding etc. I am going to do everything myself, so it wont be perfect but i want it to rock. The music i listen to is regge, jazz, rock, and hip hop. I would like some help with my build if you will.

I have

1 x pg pld1
1 x pg eq25i
1 x pg zx250
2 x pg xs2500

what i need recomendations

1 headunit
1 component 6.5 speaker system to run off the zx250
1 subwoofer enclosure loaded with 2 12's

all of this will be going into my 1973 porsche 914, plenty of room with 2 trunks :D any suggestions??

also was wondering about rca route.

head > pld1 > eq25i > then the eq lead goes to the zx250 and the bypass lead from the eq....

do i want to split that and run 2 rca to the left xs2500 and 2 rca to the right xs2500. this would create stereo bass. (worth it??)

or do i want to run that lead straight to the left xs2500 and then the output from that to the right xs2500. (mono bass)

what do you think.

Joe
welcome to the phorum!

head unit is really your choice. what inputs do you want? you dont really need any extra processing since your amps have it (but some times its easier on a h/u) a lot of people have favorite brands, but most make a solid product and its really more important to match the features you want imo

the rsd comp sets are still come up fairly often and are under $100. really sound great. great enough to make me have buyers remorse from when i spent $300 on ti elites.

for 12's the rsdc12 is still the one to beat. but you will have a fairly hard time finding 2 in the dual 2ohm version. you could also wait on the new ti12's which are supposed to be newer versions of the rsdc

as far as sterio bass...you wont really hear it snince sub bass is non directional. plus most bass is produced as a mono channel to begin with.

do you have the not 1st run of xs2500's that have the aux out? if so i would run a short set of rca's from that to the next amp. then you could control both with 1 lpl

you COULD put one 12 in the trunk and 1 in the front trunk...and then use the balance to fade between them....oh my...that would be some crazy front stage!

oh, and your rca path is correct also
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

one note on the rca path, the pld needs to go as close to the deck as possible and do not mount it to metal/chassis.

old porsche is gonna go boom! Got any pics?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

go with what Bfowler recomends one you would be 100% phoenix gold and two you would also have the very best set up for your amps.
jsayre914

Post by jsayre914 »

thanks for the tips, i do have the lpl and i didnt realize it could controll 2 amps :hurr: so i will run from one amp to the other. i did post a pic in the auto forum of my car. the pld1 is mounted to wood inside the center console right under the deck. (no metal)

what about 6.5 components, the set i have is polkdb and it is so old the speakers are seperating from there baskets, but they rocked hard for 5+ years
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
Joseph Sayre
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

jsayre914 wrote:thanks for the tips, i do have the lpl and i didnt realize it could controll 2 amps :hurr: so i will run from one amp to the other. i did post a pic in the auto forum of my car. the pld1 is mounted to wood inside the center console right under the deck. (no metal)

what about 6.5 components, the set i have is polkdb and it is so old the speakers are seperating from there baskets, but they rocked hard for 5+ years
Welcome to the site, I use MB Quarts (2 sets of the RVF-216's) and have always liked their sound and build quality. The new MB's are the RSI-216 and you can find them on Ebay and other places for around $125.00. I do have a set of JL Audio XR650's that are in great condition and just collecting dust if ur interested (pm me).
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

how big is the alt in that little thing, or is a generator?
jsayre914

Post by jsayre914 »

ttocs wrote:how big is the alt in that little thing, or is a generator?
the alternator was a 55 amp stock :(

I bought a later model alternator from a bus application (same size) but it had a different pulley, so i had to swap pulleys from the old one to the new one. The alternator i purchased was rated at 75amp and i had the guy wind it as far as he felt was safe. Now i got 125amps. Not a lot, but it sure beats 55 :)

i think i lost about 5hp with the high output alternator, but worth it.
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
Joseph Sayre
jsayre914

Post by jsayre914 »

i forgot to mention, i also had to get a custom harness made because the original harness was 1 run of 8g wire from the alternator to the battery, with the dual battery setup i was not comfortable with that. the new harness has 2 runs of 4 guage wire. It was a tight fit.
Attachments
alternator new.jpg
alternator new.jpg (67.91 KiB) Viewed 7982 times
new harness.jpg
new harness.jpg (69.61 KiB) Viewed 7982 times
old alternator.jpg
old alternator.jpg (70.11 KiB) Viewed 7982 times
old harness.jpg
old harness.jpg (71.65 KiB) Viewed 7982 times
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
Joseph Sayre
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you have 2 batteries trying to charge off that itty bitt alt
jsayre914

Post by jsayre914 »

ttocs wrote:you have 2 batteries trying to charge off that itty bitt alt
yup!

There is a delicate balance between engine/ amps/ horsepower/ space

Any advise??
what are the other air cooled guys running for power??
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
Joseph Sayre
todd217

Post by todd217 »

if you want to go the rsdc122 route i have 2 new ones that i would sell.
jsayre914

Post by jsayre914 »

todd217 wrote:if you want to go the rsdc122 route i have 2 new ones that i would sell.
pm sent
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
Joseph Sayre
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

oh man, a rsdc12 on each xs2500...will make your eyeballs feel funny
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
jsayre914

Post by jsayre914 »

So if I want to build my system a bit larger, i think i will run into a power problem. If i only have 120 amp totall, and no space for a larger alternator. What do you guys recomend??

1 pld1
1 eq251
1 phoenix zx250
2 phoenix xs2500

and probably a pioneer cd

i need help :?
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
Joseph Sayre
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

this bit of info may help a bit my phoenix gold test bed the franknbenz is an 83 300d diesel.i put the best factory alt i could find on it off a fully loaded 90 model super diesel.the alternator is only a 120 but a very stout one at that i will say that any more than three big boy phoenix gold amps will probably kill it.but it has survived my 0.3 and 2125 at the same time no prob.
jsayre914

Post by jsayre914 »

so now i have 2 pg 12" subwoofers, i dont want them to be permanent, if i plan to autocross at some events. so i was thinking to buy a premade box from sonic like the Absolute MDHF12 it has a sealed double chamber box with 1.15 per side. is this an ok box for me?? or what eles would you recomend for me.

thanks.
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
Joseph Sayre
jsayre914

Post by jsayre914 »

so i have been thinking, a premade box can look pretty blahhh. i might go ahead and try to build my first box, and i was thinking to move the 2 zx2500 to the front trunk and leave just the zx250 in the rear trunk. I did a quick sketch on paintbrush. i am thinking this would look dope.

waddya think?
Attachments
front trunk.jpg
front trunk.jpg (136.12 KiB) Viewed 7837 times
option 2.jpg
option 2.jpg (73.17 KiB) Viewed 7838 times
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
Joseph Sayre
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

If it were me-
I'd look for a XS4600 and 2 links!!!!! Make 1 huge surfboard amp! :clap: :twisted: Saying you have the room for that. I too think you should get going on fiberglass for the sub enclosure... :hmm:
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Would you be able to hear those subs at all in that location??
jsayre914

Post by jsayre914 »

stipud wrote:Would you be able to hear those subs at all in that location??
hell yeah!

i have one polk 12 now and it sounds incredible. i am trying to go to the next level.
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
Joseph Sayre
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

jsayre914 wrote:
ttocs wrote:you have 2 batteries trying to charge off that itty bitt alt
yup!

There is a delicate balance between engine/ amps/ horsepower/ space

Any advise??
what are the other air cooled guys running for power??
missed this earlier and supprised no one else chimed in. YOu are putting one HELL of a load on that thing just running the amps but when you throw in a second battery I am surpised that thing lasted a week. Adding a 2nd batter should only be done AFTER upgrading the alt unless you are just wanting to kill it and replace it with something else. Is there enough room to add a 2nd alt as I do not imagine they make much bigger.
jsayre914

Post by jsayre914 »

ttocs wrote:
missed this earlier and supprised no one else chimed in. YOu are putting one HELL of a load on that thing just running the amps but when you throw in a second battery I am surpised that thing lasted a week. Adding a 2nd batter should only be done AFTER upgrading the alt unless you are just wanting to kill it and replace it with something else. Is there enough room to add a 2nd alt as I do not imagine they make much bigger.
i probably have some room for another alternator on the oppisite side of the engine. some dealer put ac on these cars back in the 70's and they managed to get a compressor mounted over there so whay not fit another alternator.

educate me on alternators

if you add another one it would be a 225 amp and the stocker is a 120amp is that ok

the stocker has an external regulator at 13.5 volts and a new one would have a internal regulator at 14.5 volts. how do you make that work??

what are the chances of a novice like myself frying my ECU :(

i do like the idea though.

what about removing my stocker and just putting a 225amp alternator on the other side :hmm:
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
Joseph Sayre
Grim0013

Post by Grim0013 »

jsayre914 wrote:
ttocs wrote:
i probably have some room for another alternator on the oppisite side of the engine. some dealer put ac on these cars back in the 70's and they managed to get a compressor mounted over there so whay not fit another alternator.

educate me on alternators

if you add another one it would be a 225 amp and the stocker is a 120amp is that ok

the stocker has an external regulator at 13.5 volts and a new one would have a internal regulator at 14.5 volts. how do you make that work??

what are the chances of a novice like myself frying my ECU :(

i do like the idea though.

what about removing my stocker and just putting a 225amp alternator on the other side :hmm:
Did anything in '73 even have an ECU? At any rate, if you did go with a second alt, I would have it completely isolated from the rest of the electrical system and use it JUST for the amplifiers. With the 120-ish amps you have now though, you could probably handle somewhere around 800W total if you use a new-ish class D amp (more efficient than AB) for the subs... With that alt, you have about 70 amps available, so yeah, you'll need efficiency if you don't want to add a second alt.
Octane Limited Edition (maybe for sale soon)
MS2125TA MS2250TA (Thanks Wakeup)
MS2125 x 2 (white, need caps)
MS275 (Burr Browns and fresh caps - Thanks, Matt)