alpine imprint?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

alpine imprint?

Post by ttocs »

anyone used this and if so what was your experience? I am considering adding one for my stang as I love eq's and tech toys......... I am currently bi-amping the 3 way hex componants, wouldn't this allow me to seperate and adj the signals before the amps?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

its both good and bad. it does pretty much everything for you. one of the bad things is you can no longer tweak your system with it on. you get 3 different curves to choose from. also if you use it turn the sub gain down because imprint will cut the sub output. when i had it with my 9886 it did make a big difference with the sound. im going back to it with my 9887. this was in a 98 mustang also.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

hmmmm........ :hmm:

I am running a 9886 as well. I thought it gave you the option for custom curves as well. Do you just hook up the mic and a laptop and let it do its thing? Do you know if it will work with windows 7? I think it would allow me a little more control from the front of the car over the componants and levels they see?
todd217

Post by todd217 »

no custom curves it lets you see the curves on the laptop b4 you up load them. i think the 9886 holds 2 curves. it does not allow for much of anything but bass treble and fader. even the xover points are set for you and it does not tell you what they are. what it does do well is the t/a and taking out all the peaks in the responce of the car. you can see the b4 and after on the laptop.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

Todd has it all just about covered. I would best describe the imprint add-on as a system that will auto calibrate the dsp but leave you with very little adjustability after the initial setup.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

it would have been nice if alpine would have built in an adjustable eq function as well. im sure if some one knew what they were doing the may be able to hack it and open it up.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

over on ca.com there is both imprint things you need for $100
tonym

Post by tonym »

that only works on some alpines?
todd217

Post by todd217 »

tonym wrote:that only works on some alpines?
he has one that uses it.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I know it is only good with some units, mine is compatable and that is the price I am looking to pay for one NIB with the mic.
Grim0013

Post by Grim0013 »

I have no experience with Imprint, but from the various comparisons I've seen, the JBL MS-8 (finally available) is vastly superior.
Octane Limited Edition (maybe for sale soon)
MS2125TA MS2250TA (Thanks Wakeup)
MS2125 x 2 (white, need caps)
MS275 (Burr Browns and fresh caps - Thanks, Matt)
AAMP217

Post by AAMP217 »

my PXA-H100 is dope and hammers the voltage on the RCA's. The mic and software are hit and miss, it just takes some time to get it right. Worth every penny IMHO
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I didn't really expect to hook up the mic and have a perfect system but I figured it could help.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

mic placement is a big part of getting it to sound right. dont just do l/r and f/r do all the positions also find a quiet area to do it. the mic will pick up sound from outside if someone drives by. also make sure you have a long enough usb cable to keep the laptop out side of the car.
tonym

Post by tonym »

do you have to adjust stuff while its testing the system?
todd217

Post by todd217 »

yes and no if the laptop is in the car after you move the mic you may not get the door closed b4 it starts. with it outside this is not an issue it will never start if you are not ready. if you mess up and dont get the door closed you will need to start over from the beginning. otherwise it will hear the door closing and try to adjust for it.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

sounds like I will need find a battery charger to do the tuning with as I can't run off thebattery and I know it will pck up the side exhaust that I have on it now. Thanks for that FYI!
todd217

Post by todd217 »

the amps sit idle for much of the time. the imprint sends short pulses to each driver 1 at a time. so i think you may be ok. i ran the imprint 1 time with my ms1000 with the car off and only a single battery.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

my system as I said is wired with a 4 channel amp with its eq running active, into the diamond audio hex x-overs bi-ampes section. In this mode one side runs the 6.5 and the other runs the 4 and the 1. The rear speakers are ran off that same signal with ther rear audio fill on the x-overs so I will probably disocnnect them while tuning or see what happens. Not sure which channel that runs off if its woofer or the mid.

Now I am getting excited, the reports I get on it sounds like it should make a difference
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

so what would you guys think about matching the imprint piece with it time alignment with an EQ232 and a Tbal to help balance the signal to my liking? While I hate to add so many componants since I know each one adds a little noise I think the tuning of those two pieces together should make for a killer sytem although an rta would be needed to get it perfect......

Like I said I came across a 232 and a tbal for a good deal that I am going to try and squeeze in if it isn't too stupid of an idea. My only other delema is that I am getting an older one in white which would match nothing in the car(dark green/black). Is there anyone that has teh TI version that they would want to trade for one that will not rust? I have been considering doing a rear seat delete in it for some time and might flush it into the delete as I would be able to reach it from the front seat.

so dumb idea and too much or go for it and let ya know what I find? If I like it I will be on a quest for a Ti version though.......
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

there a ti 232 on ebay sorry i sold my to tom years ago
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I assume you mean this one? What is the difference beween the 232 and eq30?

not sure I ever saw this before..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Phoenix-Gold-Titani ... 2eadf09037\

I already have a line on a white one with the balanced transmitter for $100. I would just love to trade it for a black or Ti one or it will be the the automotive equivelent of a dark suit and white socks.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

there is nothing differnt about the eq30 and 232 just the year they were made
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

they looked the same so I figured they were just different makes but I sold the Ti line and didn't remember it.

next question, if I use the balanced inputs with the tbal, I will have to use the balanced outputs as well then right? Or can I use the rca output on it to the amps?
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

you can use the rca out on the eq to the amp no problem at all
2020 honda accord sport