Soundstream Class A 6.0 - Knowledgable opinions please

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ShockTherapy

Soundstream Class A 6.0 - Knowledgable opinions please

Post by ShockTherapy »

I'm going to try a Soundstream Class A 6.0 on my frontstage after having fantastic results from the Reference 1000sx. Does anyone on here have any first hand experience with this amp? I've heard that this is the best of the Class A Soundstreams. I trust opinions on this phorum so let me know the scoop.

Also It's rated at 50x2 but I've heard it puts out much more in a real world environment. I'll be powering my CDT Eurosport 3-ways with this. What do you think?
Clarion DRZ-9255
JL HD 900/5
Zapco Z300
JBL MS-8
Dynaudio MW160 (midbass)
Audible Physics XR3m (mid)
Morel MT23 (high)
Morel 5c (Rearfill)
Morel Ultimo SC12
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I always loved the clean simple lines of those amps but was always afraid to get into them. I worked with a guy that had been in the biz for ever and whos opinion I really reaspected that use to sell them and he said they had problems with them in the early stages. I am sure they would have corrected those issues as that was really the only warning I had ever heard, everything else about them was great.....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

any class A series from old school soundstream were really great
never tried the 6.0, but have tried and used 10.0 and picasso
Get a picasso for your front end if you can, and run active
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
lashlee

Post by lashlee »

In the early days they were bullet proof, and one of the few that really could play down to .5 ohm. The class A's didn't have trouble since they used a different topology, but when SS transitioned to the SX series with crossovers is when things began to fall apart. The original ref series were great. I used two ref 300's on the front stage (one bridged per side) and two 500's on the two subs. It rocked!!

The shop I worked at sponsored a guy and he two class A 5.0's on the front stage and two class A 10.0's on the subs. That's when IASCA was big and shows still had decent attendance!!

I remember getting the ref SX's out of the box dead!! :evil: I would love to see the new ref series gain some momentum and really perform like the old ones.
ShockTherapy

Post by ShockTherapy »

lashlee wrote:In the early days they were bullet proof, and one of the few that really could play down to .5 ohm. The class A's didn't have trouble since they used a different topology, but when SS transitioned to the SX series with crossovers is when things began to fall apart. The original ref series were great. I used two ref 300's on the front stage (one bridged per side) and two 500's on the two subs. It rocked!!

The shop I worked at sponsored a guy and he two class A 5.0's on the front stage and two class A 10.0's on the subs. That's when IASCA was big and shows still had decent attendance!!

I remember getting the ref SX's out of the box dead!! :evil: I would love to see the new ref series gain some momentum and really perform like the old ones.

Yeh... The 1000sx I have at the moment is a little beat up but not too bad. It actually sounds really good on my frontstage at the moment... the amp needs a switch for the bal/unbal... I change it with a screwdriver. lame. anyhow... I have gotten ahold of one 6.0 and I'm sourcing another to have one on each side for my frontstage. This should be phenominal. It's rated at 200x1 at 4ohm, but thats at 12v. I'm not sure which model soundstream I'm going to use to power my subs. What's the largest early model? The Refernce 500? 700? I want it to run my 2 idq tens efficiently.
Clarion DRZ-9255
JL HD 900/5
Zapco Z300
JBL MS-8
Dynaudio MW160 (midbass)
Audible Physics XR3m (mid)
Morel MT23 (high)
Morel 5c (Rearfill)
Morel Ultimo SC12
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I have owned a Class A 5.0, 6.0, two 10.0s, and a Picasso.

The Picasso is probably the best amp I have ever used, tested, or owned for components. It is just an excellent amp sonically.

I would take a 10.0 over the 6.0 any day, but that does not mean I don't like the 6.0. The 6.0 is just not as great of an amp as the 10.0.

All four of the models I had suffered from weak power supplies, and that has been Soundstream's downfall IMO. The 10.0 for example really needs twice the power supply is has to get the job done.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

Hey Doc,
I was waiting for you to chime in, and yes, the 10.0 would benefit from a better power supply
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
lashlee

Post by lashlee »

If I remember correctly, the 500 was the biggest of the ref series before they started with the S and SX series, which obviously you konw they went all the way up to the 1000SX.
AAMP217

Post by AAMP217 »

itchnertamatoa wrote:any class A series from old school soundstream were really great
never tried the 6.0, but have tried and used 10.0 and picasso
Get a picasso for your front end if you can, and run active
I agree the 10.0 is the truth and I have been hunting for a Picasso for a while now
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

I have found a picasso I'm looking at getting
waiting for pics