Kicks for RSd 65CS components

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
dragonplayboy

Kicks for RSd 65CS components

Post by dragonplayboy »

OK, so next weekend it looks like I'm finally going to get started glassing some kicks for my rsd 6.5" components for my scion tC, as Errin recommends this location greatly over my initial plan of tweets in the a pillars and woofs in the doors. I'm going to put them in a temporary baffle and try aiming them in a few different places (between the drivers head's, both at the driver, etc) and unless I misunderstood, I should keep both the woof & tweet on the same plane, and should NOT seal the kick enclosure. this is my first time doing kicks, and my first fiberglass project, so any advice is greatly appreciated!!
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

you cant allow the air space back into the cabin you have to cut your kick area and vent it through there.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Why not seal them? Doing a proper IB install in your kicks would be the world's biggest pain in the ass.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

stipud wrote:Why not seal them? Doing a proper IB install in your kicks would be the world's biggest pain in the ass.
IMO its easier then glassing kicks.... and sound better.

DD Ill snap some pics of mine for ya give me few mins.
dragonplayboy

Post by dragonplayboy »

so wait, I DO seal them? aw hell this is gettin too complicated
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

IMO it will mud up your midrange fr as you will not be able to get enough air space for them. But you cant allow for the back waves to enter the cabin thus you have to vent through the kicks and seal the vent off from the cabin.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

bdubs767 wrote:IMO it will mud up your midrange fr as you will not be able to get enough air space for them. But you cant allow for the back waves to enter the cabin thus you have to vent through the kicks and seal the vent off from the cabin.
Which only a maniac has the balls and time to do, which brings me back to my point... just run them sealed :roll: :lol:

IB is for doors or shelves, it takes a real nut to make it happen in kicks.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

stipud wrote:
bdubs767 wrote:IMO it will mud up your midrange fr as you will not be able to get enough air space for them. But you cant allow for the back waves to enter the cabin thus you have to vent through the kicks and seal the vent off from the cabin.
Which only a maniac has the balls and time to do, which brings me back to my point... just run them sealed :roll: :lol:

Its easier to throw a sawall in there chop your kicks up then it is to glass kick.....

saw or sand not a hard choice IMO.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

bdubs767 wrote:Its easier to throw a sawall in there chop your kicks up then it is to glass kick.....
Yeah, but... who wants to carve up a perfectly good car? A sawzall isn't coming within 5 feet of my car. I guess if you drove an Intrepid...

So, back to my original point. Brandon, you are nuts 8)
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

stipud wrote:
bdubs767 wrote:Its easier to throw a sawall in there chop your kicks up then it is to glass kick.....
Yeah, but... who wants to carve up a perfectly good car? A sawzall isn't coming within 5 feet of my car. I guess if you drove an Intrepid...

It's a little part of your kicks 4"x4" section no one will miss that. If I had a BMW/ Benz Id saw that bitch up too :twisted:

If we are ever close to each other, I'm gonna sneak out to your car one night saw it up throw your elites in there and your smile would be enough when you hear it :D :D

nuts hell yes...
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

stipud wrote:

rofl. im gonna have to side with tom on this one....cutting + my car = NO
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
dragonplayboy

Post by dragonplayboy »

so are they going in the doors then? this is driving me crazy.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

I smell pussy....its a little piece of the kick no one will know if it's gone.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

dragonplayboy wrote:so are they going in the doors then? this is driving me crazy.
if you cant vent em through the kicks go w/ the doors
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

bdubs767 wrote:I smell pussy....its a little piece of the kick no one will know if it's gone.
Until your kickpanels rust out??
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

They wont rust out, what do you think they made spray paint for then liquid nails ontop for.

Fyi when you saw through the first layer of the kicks there is still gonna be atleast one more layer until the outside, so it's not liek the speakers are killing outside. Mine had two layers behind the initial.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Well if there's more layers behind, you aren't venting anywhere are you? There needs to be a path for air to escape outside of the car somewhere. This is what bugs me the most.

I still say run them sealed.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

the area behind the baffle, runs up about a foot to where the fuse box is then hits a wedge of foam, then down along side step to the back seats where there it again hits a wedge of foam.

This allows for plenty air space..... :wink:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

bdubs767 wrote:the area behind the baffle, runs up about a foot to where the fuse box is then hits a wedge of foam, then down along side step to the back seats where there it again hits a wedge of foam.

And you think all cars use this exact same layout? Behind my kickpanel is the exterior paneling of my car. In fact, my car doesn't even have kickpanels. The carpet runs right up the side.
dragonplayboy

Post by dragonplayboy »

seriously... I'd much prefer not having to cut a damn thing. I appreciate the advice though. I'll rip the kicks off tonight and post pics, maybe that'll help.

Errin, anything to add as far as to seal or not to seal?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

stipud wrote:
bdubs767 wrote:the area behind the baffle, runs up about a foot to where the fuse box is then hits a wedge of foam, then down along side step to the back seats where there it again hits a wedge of foam.

And you think all cars use this exact same layout? Behind my kickpanel is the exterior paneling of my car. In fact, my car doesn't even have kickpanels. The carpet runs right up the side.
Most cars IMO will have enough room to pull it off....
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

bdubs767 wrote:Most cars IMO will have enough room to pull it off....
You have to be weary of making sweeping generalizations. Before this you were telling us that it is the only way to do it in any car... now just "most" cars "in your opinion". I am willing to bet that "most cars" is actually few cars, because I know for sure I have had not owned a single car that is constructed in the same way you speak of, and this solution would be next to impossible to execute.

You should have said "a more IDEAL solution than sealed would be to vent it out through the kickpanels, if your car allows for this setup", instead of proclaiming it as the rule instead of the exception. I am not trying to argue with you that an IB setup wouldn't sound better, but I don't think it is feasible in many cases. You have to be careful when giving advice... what if dragon went out and carved up his car, only to find out that his kickpanels vent right back into the car a half foot up? What if he put a sawzall right through his fender?

So basically what I'm getting at here is... dragon, have a look in your kickpanels. If it looks like you can pull off what Brandon is talking about (i.e. you have a kickpanel that vents outside of the car rather than inside), then you would only have to seal the kickpanel onto the vent. Otherwise, sealed is pretty much the only way to go. I personally think these speakers sound great sealed, and I haven't come across any issues that can't be solved with proper power and EQ.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

stipud wrote:
bdubs767 wrote:Most cars IMO will have enough room to pull it off....
You have to be weary of making sweeping generalizations. Before this you were telling us that it is the only way to do it in any car... now just "most" cars "in your opinion". I am willing to bet that "most cars" is actually few cars, because I know for sure I have had not owned a single car that is constructed in the same way you speak of, and this solution would be next to impossible to execute.

You should have said "a more IDEAL solution than sealed would be to vent it out through the kickpanels, if your car allows for this setup", instead of proclaiming it as the rule instead of the exception. I am not trying to argue with you that an IB setup wouldn't sound better, but I don't think it is feasible in many cases. You have to be careful when giving advice... what if dragon went out and carved up his car, only to find out that his kickpanels vent right back into the car a half foot up? What if he put a sawzall right through his fender?

So basically what I'm getting at here is... dragon, have a look in your kickpanels. If it looks like you can pull off what Brandon is talking about (i.e. you have a kickpanel that vents outside of the car rather than inside), then you would only have to seal the kickpanel onto the vent. Otherwise, sealed is pretty much the only way to go. I personally think these speakers sound great sealed, and I haven't come across any issues that can't be solved with proper power and EQ.
I have never stated any larger sized mids should be sealed off in a small enclosure like a avg size kick which will only offer around .1 cu ft ....You need about .3 cu ft IMO for a woofer that size; which is near impossible unless you cut off your left leg lol. Were talking about a 6.5" mid not a 4.5" mid....the thing needs some space. Not to say that fuzzy doesnt sound good, just a rule of thumb that to small of a space muds up your midrange.

As for putting a saw through his fender, I hope hes smart enough to figure out he doesnt have enough room to do this before hacking it putting a sawsall through it, which. You can tell by a simple glance about how much room you have down there and there will be stock holes for screws ect on avg in the area that you can poke anything into to tell how deep the kick the kick area is. In reality you dont even have to cut that much up as you could if you wanted build an entire kick then take a small hole like 2" x 2" and just vent your fabericated kick into that then sealed it off.

Heres a few examples....in my car, old BMW, S4, SCION TC

It's really not that big of a deal IMO, but I guess maybe to some it is.
Attachments
DSC01350.jpg
DSC01350.jpg (263.75 KiB) Viewed 7964 times
attachment-2.jpg
attachment-2.jpg (235.18 KiB) Viewed 7964 times
DSC01350.jpg
DSC01350.jpg (263.75 KiB) Viewed 7964 times
P1060785.jpg
P1060785.jpg (181.12 KiB) Viewed 7964 times
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg (321.07 KiB) Viewed 7964 times
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

You should have said "a more IDEAL solution than sealed would be to vent it out through the kickpanels, if your car allows for this setup"

sorry If I conveyed that...not my intention.

But I feel it should be one of these two...
Vented through kick area or in the Doors. Just my opinion though, and your opinion about sealing is probably more then valid, I'm just stating what I think works well.
Last edited by bdubs767 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.