So are all 1/0 gauge wire created equal?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ZTwenty8SSR

Post by ZTwenty8SSR »

AAMP217 wrote:If you value driving the vehicle you are installing the system in DO NOT USE copper clad aluminum wire in your vehicle. No matter how cheap it is. In the business of high current wire, you get what you pay for.
The KnuKonceptz is copper clad aluminum I almost bought some until I read this.
What is so bad about it?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

this is all news to me. I mean I have seen cheap wire that shouldn't be used in a car but CCA not being good to use is something I would like to hear bout.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
akwizeguy

Post by akwizeguy »

i bought some knu entry level wire that i suppose was CCA, the strands were hard to work with, they didnt really mold together like most wiring ive had experience with. It was difficult placing the wire into the amp power terminals for me anyways. So personally im going to try to stay away from that type of wiring.
-2014 Honda CRV LX
//PG zx475ti// PG zx600ti// JL Audio 12W7// Hybrid Audio Imagine I61-V2
tonym

Post by tonym »

akwizeguy wrote:i bought some knu entry level wire that i suppose was CCA, the strands were hard to work with, they didnt really mold together like most wiring ive had experience with. It was difficult placing the wire into the amp power terminals for me anyways. So personally im going to try to stay away from that type of wiring.
KCA Kable is hard to bend?
Kolossus Copper Aluminum Kable (KCA Kable) has arrived! The KCA Kable uses the same ultra flex PVC found in the Kolossus Fleks Kable and the Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA) conductor from the KLMX Kable. Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA) is made up of 90% Aluminum and 10% Copper. CCA overall provides a cost effective solution to most audio systems. Assembled from stranded 34 gauge CCA, the KCA Kable is equal in size to the Kolossus Fleks Kable, but is designed for lighter current loads and not lightening your wallet.
The KCA series 1/0 Black Cable offers improved flexibility over the 'KLMX' Series and a rugged PVC outer jacket that is impervious to grease and oil. The PVC outer jacket can with-stand the extreme temperatures (-40 to 105 C) and capable loads of 250A. Price is per foot.
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

I'm guessing he's talking about the older KLMX series cable. I've heard it's not so flexy.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
akwizeguy

Post by akwizeguy »

no its not hard to bend, what i was trying to say was the strands didnt really mold very well together. Like for instance, speaker wire, you can twist the copper with ease if your trying to fit it into an opening or what not, the strands just sort of mold together right? With that entry level Knu wire, the copper strands just kind of went everywhere, so it was difficult trying to place it in the power terminal of the amp. Im trying to explain it as best as I can?
-2014 Honda CRV LX
rscecil007

Post by rscecil007 »

Ah, yes, I understand what you mean now. It just wanted to "frazzle" or frizz out, for lack of a better term.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
akwizeguy

Post by akwizeguy »

yeah exactly, i found that really frustrating personally, so just my opinion
-2014 Honda CRV LX
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I think that is just the way most high current cable goes. The thinner the individual strands are the better and also the harder to get to twist together.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Kolossus Fleks Kable for me then..

stuff looks nice...
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

tonym wrote:Kolossus Fleks Kable for me then..

stuff looks nice...
I absolutely love the stuff....wouldn't use any other wire for the price.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Thumper88 wrote:
tonym wrote:Kolossus Fleks Kable for me then..

stuff looks nice...
I absolutely love the stuff....wouldn't use any other wire for the price.
do you have ends on it? im looking at some stinger ends

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/produ ... egoryID=10

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop ... /SFV/30046

will be going with that 1

Just want to make sure the cable will fit without having to thin the heard at all...
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

I don't use those type of ends....crimp and solder style for me. Standard 1/0 terminals fit just fine though.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

in both my truck and my stang around the dist blocks that I mounted in the consol would not have been able to happen if it was not super twisty wire. The knu wire was just barely able to make it, I should try and get a pic of the truck as it would help to sell it to you guys. it is good stuff...
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

the stuff is like a wet noodle ..... for the price it's top notch 3.60/ft is nothin for a good chunk of wire. I personally would not skimp and get CCA wire just for the fact that i spend good money on good gear why skimp on power wire.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
JayGold

Post by JayGold »

Continuing with this thread...

So I'm about to pull the trigger on the Knu Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 Red Power and they just happen to be out of stock :cry:

In the mean while, I'm estimating I'll require 25 feet to cover the following:

Battery to trunk Ti power distribution
Alternator to fuse box-->battery
Starter to fuse box-->battery

Is there anything I'm missing above?
Any suggestions as to wiring to the OEM fuse box, or do I avoid this and install my own fuses?

In addition, I'll need about 5 feet of 1/0 ground to cover:

Battery to chassis
Engine block to chassis
Ground distribution to trunk chassis

Anything I'm overlooking here?

All my other wiring bases (interconnects/remote/etc.) are covered, so I'm all good there.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

small car?
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

ttocs wrote:small car?
ya Thats what i was thinking. I'd grab 40 feet just to be sure and get 12 ft. for the ground points, i mean do you really want to chance comin up a tad short. I would avoid the OEM fuse and either add your own or just wire straight to the battery from the alt. i know some people insist there has to be a fuse between the alt. and battery but the guys at Mechman where i got my new H.O. unit told me i could wire straight to the battery and avoid the giant Maxi fuse my car has. i do not think he would have told me that If it was terribly risky, again it's your choice. my .02
JayGold

Post by JayGold »

Stryker wrote:
ttocs wrote:small car?
ya Thats what i was thinking. I'd grab 40 feet just to be sure and get 12 ft. for the ground points, i mean do you really want to chance comin up a tad short. I would avoid the OEM fuse and either add your own or just wire straight to the battery from the alt. i know some people insist there has to be a fuse between the alt. and battery but the guys at Mechman where i got my new H.O. unit told me i could wire straight to the battery and avoid the giant Maxi fuse my car has. i do not think he would have told me that If it was terribly risky, again it's your choice. my .02
To both quotes above...

Yes, its a relatively small sedan, 2000 Subaru Impreza L.
I over-measured the length I require so I figured 25 feet, roughly about 11 feet for engine compartment and 14 feet to the trunk and my Ti distro before it gets split into (2) 4 awg to the MS amps.

I'll still require a new battery and H.O. alt after I get everything else laid out and installed before tuning real use.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

ok i always over compensate on those sorta things.
JayGold

Post by JayGold »

Over-compensating is what I always tend to do to.

The Subaru's overall length is 14 feet, so I believe I'm good adding in another 11 feet of wire.
Last edited by JayGold on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tonym

Post by tonym »

JayGold wrote:Continuing with this thread...

So I'm about to pull the trigger on the Knu Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 Red Power and they just happen to be out of stock :cry:
Yeah same here....:( wanted the blue but will be going with the smoke black...will kinda match my outlaw install anyways...
JayGold

Post by JayGold »

tonym wrote:
JayGold wrote:Continuing with this thread...

Yeah same here....:( wanted the blue but will be going with the smoke black...will kinda match my outlaw install anyways...
I'd go with the blue and black combo but I already have red 4 awg and don't want to repurchase that too.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I saw some audison 1/0 awg in a shop in Edmonton it was by far the most flexible 1/0 I have seen yet.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

gridracer wrote:I saw some audison 1/0 awg in a shop in Edmonton it was by far the most flexible 1/0 I have seen yet.
Got some in the local shop and I was just as impressed, it comes with quite a price tag though :|
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!