How would my tweeter sound here?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Phoenixcolt wrote:Wire up the comp xo to the coax I had but replace the coax tweet with the comp tweet?!
No, leave the coax tweet... just use the comp XO on the coax set... voila.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Is it the same tweet on the coax as it is in the comp set?

Wow, I thought it would have been an upgrade on the comp set...

Kind of disappointed about that...but it is probably a normal practice.

Well how would it sound if I mounted the tweets only in the existing kicks and left the mids in the stock door locations like vin78 suggested? Keep in mind I can correct things somewhat with that time alignment.

Short of custom kicks, I am trying to get opinions on the best placement in my door or dash for the tweets that would offer the best imaging.

Is coax style that?
Rides History-www.cardomain.com/id/HotColt22

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Can't say for sure what's best. The only real solution is to move your tweeters around and find out where you like it the most. Install them with some long wires and use double-sided tape, until you find where YOU are the happiest.

Technically the ideal setup would have two drivers producing the entire audible frequency range. We all know this is very difficult to achieve, so this is why we get separates, like components and subwoofers to do their individual tasks well.

In this case, a coax set is technically pretty much ideal. The only downside with Coaxials is that they typically cheap out on the crossover or tweeter, so they end up sounding worse than their component bretheren. In the case of the RSD's, I believe the tweeters are the same, though there is no external crossover. If you were to add it, I'm sure it would sound quite good.

One problem with low mounting the tweets like that in a car (especially when they are facing inwards like a coax set in a door does), is that feet can easily absorb most of the treble. This sucks for having passengers in the car, and is why I opted to install mine on the dash instead. It doesn't sound as good, but because I have passengers 95% of the time, it will sound better in most cases than if it were to be muffled by feet.

In the end we don't ever have to listen to your stereo, so only you should pick what is best for yourself.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

That is true, I was just trying to get everyone else's input on what has worked best for them and sounded best. Of course I will ultimately decide where they are mounted by my own ears. I appreciate everyone's input greatly.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

So I decided to hot glue the tweets into the grille centers. Much better imaging, sound sweet and I still have plans to seal those mids whci hwill make them even better. These comps r SWEET!
Attachments
IMG_1128.JPG
IMG_1128.JPG (63.84 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1130.JPG (81.66 KiB) Viewed 3238 times

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Looks good, glad it worked out for you. I'm starting next week to tweak my imaging.
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

Phoenixcolt wrote:So I decided to hot glue the tweets into the grille centers.
did u remove those PG logos before gluing it up there or are the tweets actually sittin on top of them ??
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

eyesofra wrote:
Phoenixcolt wrote:So I decided to hot glue the tweets into the grille centers.
did u remove those PG logos before gluing it up there or are the tweets actually sittin on top of them ??
I actually have a pair of RSd coaxes as well and am not using the grilles so they already had the hole where the logo is on the comp grilles. And they r still sitting on top of them, I just angled them and hot glued from behind but they are so low profile when u strip them down that it came out looking really sweet.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Nice. I am happy with mine there.