Focal 40KX setup help

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
lawrence131

Focal 40KX setup help

Post by lawrence131 »

I recently bought this sub for a good deal on Ebay and want to set it up in a Mercedes S550 for SQ while still maintaining use of most of the trunk. Can you guys recommend a mounting configuration that would be good and a decent amp?

I have a Xenon 400.1 - will this be enough to push this sub? The RMS output should be about the same on both but I know most of you guys with nice subs like to push like double the rated output to the sub. This car is my baby carrier so I will never listen past moderate volumes.

I saw in a car magazine an S-class competition SQ setup with 12s sealed in a carpeted wood box mounted up-firing through the rear deck, but the box stuck way down into the trunk, killing most of the space (they obviously were building for pure SQ and not trunk space). For a 16", this is a very shallow and light sub (7.5 inches, 23 pounds) - would a custom fiberglass box hugging the top of the trunk firing through the rear deck be an option? (It only needs 1.4 CF sealed). This will be a very expensive setup due to the high difficulty of such a box but I assume some people do this so there is better sound transmission without pushing sound through the very thick and insulated rear seats.

Or would I just be better off doing a standard fiber side mount and just deal with the volume loss pushing most of the sound through the rear seats? Much easier and cheaper, but I'm worried about how built up the rear seats are.

Thanks.

40 KX
16″ subwoofer, dual voice coil, multiferrite magnet

SPECIFICATIONS

woofer
K2 composite sandwich cone
enclosure
Sealed or Vented
voice coil
4 Layer
max power
1000W