are all canister type capacitors created equal?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

are all canister type capacitors created equal?

Post by The Golden One »

i just got two capacitors off the craigs list and was wondering if there is any difference in quality of different capacitors. one is a phoenix gold QX series 1.0 farad and the other is an impulse 1.25 farad cap. i just want to know if they may be the same quality as my two phoenix gold XSC 10 capacitors mainly is the QX as good as the XS capacitior or what?
AAMP217

Re: are all canister type capacitors created equal?

Post by AAMP217 »

The Golden One wrote:i just got two capacitors off the craigs list and was wondering if there is any difference in quality of different capacitors. one is a phoenix gold QX series 1.0 farad and the other is an impulse 1.25 farad cap. i just want to know if they may be the same quality as my two phoenix gold XSC 10 capacitors mainly is the QX as good as the XS capacitior or what?
All I can say is HELL NO they are not all the same. There are no restrictions in place on how a manufacturer labels caps. Up until about 7 years ago, when you bought a 1 farad cap, that's what you got. Once you saw a lot of no name brands and brands like Boss started making accessories quality went out the window. I have some comparision pics to show you. All the Phoenix caps (even the Rodin ones i am pretty sure) are rated true spec. Stinger, Rockford, Kicker, etc... Make true spec caps but if you see a 2.2 farad for $59 and a 1 farad for $119 there is a difference.
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

yea i can believe you on that statement its kinda wierd i weighed both of these capacitors in my hand and the qx feels more heavy than the impulse one and it has the voltage display and plastic clamps on the impluse one and its also a 1.25. so im thinking there must be less of the good stuff in this implulse cap ah i only paid 25 bones each for these so its not a total loss.
AAMP217

Post by AAMP217 »

The Golden One wrote:yea i can believe you on that statement its kinda wierd i weighed both of these capacitors in my hand and the qx feels more heavy than the impulse one and it has the voltage display and plastic clamps on the impluse one and its also a 1.25. so im thinking there must be less of the good stuff in this implulse cap ah i only paid 25 bones each for these so its not a total loss.
You would be surprised what keeps the weight the same on today's off brand cap's
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

AAMP217 wrote:
The Golden One wrote:yea i can believe you on that statement its kinda wierd i weighed both of these capacitors in my hand and the qx feels more heavy than the impulse one and it has the voltage display and plastic clamps on the impluse one and its also a 1.25. so im thinking there must be less of the good stuff in this implulse cap ah i only paid 25 bones each for these so its not a total loss.
You would be surprised what keeps the weight the same on today's off brand cap's
A brick, perhaps? :lol:

http://www.popgive.com/2008/07/dont-buy ... ranty.html
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

wish we could open some of them up i have a older RF cap the silver one im not going to use but i would not real safe cutting into one...

I wonder how much he paid for the Rock in your post Tom..lol
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

stipud wrote:
AAMP217 wrote:
A brick, perhaps? :lol:

http://www.popgive.com/2008/07/dont-buy ... ranty.html
He could have at least used a large potato.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Then there's this old classic... :lol:

oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

That is what I call high quality work!
buzzy54

Post by buzzy54 »

kg1961 wrote:wish we could open some of them up i have a older RF cap the silver one im not going to use but i would not real safe cutting into one...

I wonder how much he paid for the Rock in your post Tom..lol
I have seen some caps opened up here in our R & D department, and was just amazed as to what some product lines have to offer and claim their product to be.

I've seen tar paper, sand, gravel and yes I even saw CONCRETE inside to add weight with little tiny capacitors hooked up to a digital display!!!

What can that possible do except get your cash.

It's just not right!

It's a damn shame that there is no regulation in the 12 volt industry as there are in others to protect the consumer.

There is, in almost anything else you can purchase, to assure you get what you paid for, but not in 12 volt. UGH

Stick with brand names you know, purchase from a local retailer that you have a relationship with and can revisit if you ever have an issue and enjoy what your hard earned money is for, YOU.
Buyer beware.

If it sounds too good to be true........you know the rest.

That's all I've got to say.
ED S
Do it right or just don't do it!
AAMP217

Post by AAMP217 »

Hit the nail on the head buzzy^^^
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

i did some more thinking along the lines of some caps may not put out their rated output. and i was wondering if there was a way to test the capacitance of each capacitor with a multimeter. i just got the impulse cap for a system in my beat around car but still don't want to lug around a tar and sand filled cylinder just for looks.
jay00f4

Post by jay00f4 »

That is ultra high performance electrolytic sand. Very rare, only found in extreme remote areas of China.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

jay00f4 wrote:That is ultra high performance electrolytic sand. Very rare, only found in extreme remote areas of China.

Im sure that is what they are trying to sell...lol
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

no no no I am sure you are confusing the facts, it would be called super-electrolityic-x'ism-silicon(SEXS for short) that makes for a high quality sand-electrolitic....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ShockTherapy

Alumapro 5 farad for dirt cheap

Post by ShockTherapy »

Here you go my friend. Give this guy a call and see if he still has this. The Carbon Alumpro caps are fantastic. I added a 15 farad alumapro and I love it! I probably only need a 5 farad though. anyhow, check it out.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/1853548254.html
Clarion DRZ-9255
JL HD 900/5
Zapco Z300
JBL MS-8
Dynaudio MW160 (midbass)
Audible Physics XR3m (mid)
Morel MT23 (high)
Morel 5c (Rearfill)
Morel Ultimo SC12
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

jay00f4 wrote:That is ultra high performance electrolytic sand. Very rare, only found in extreme remote areas of China.
im willing to bet that's why they wrote extreme on the capacitor it must have extreme power i bet it even makes your car drive faster probably like adding nos stickers on your car extreme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!