Amp mounting, easily removable amp "rack" ?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Amp mounting, easily removable amp "rack" ?

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I have a fabrication like question about mounting my amp(s). I already have one, looking for another.

I want to keep the mounting location I have now, which is on the back side of the back seats for both space saving and wiring convenience. The amp I have is mounted on the right side seat. I want to mount the second amp on the left.

BUT! here's the question: How can I make some kind of system to allow the amps to be easily removable. Right now I'm screwing the M44 down to the metal in the seat. It's sturdy and fine. But I want removability for offroading. I want to be able to remove my sub, prized amps and kicks (already removable) so that they never get ruined on a bad trip or from just being knocked around like hell.

So, is there some kind of mount I could use to make the amps removable besides screwing them off and on each time?

If possible, the solution would require little other than a simple mounting post or something because I want to keep the amps snug against the back of the seats and not use a ton of other material.

Ideas?

Here's what it looks like back there:

and

SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

if you securely mount everything wont it be fine? Or are you guys that rough off roading?
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

I'm no master but I like to be challenged and take crazy stuff. For instance, I when up a fallen tree with a total height of about 3/4 of my 31" wheels... while driving down a frozen river bed. We also when down that on the way back. It's quite bouncy and impactful both ways with those 31" tires and no suspension lift... but very doable.

I did take the M44 offroading and it was secure, but something about bouncing it around like hell for a few hours on end gives me the heeby jeebies. It was fine though...

You're probably right and I'm just being paranoid.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

An amp being ruined in that form is like a lug bolt breaking off. It could happen, but the chances are highly unlikely.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

if you are really worried go get your self a drawer slide from the local Hardware store then, fashion a mounting plate on the seat, attach one half of the slide at the seat/board and the opposing side onto the amp do this at both ends. You should also be able to fashion a latch/lock system pretty easily even if it is a block that screws into place. Make certain you get the heavier grade slides that interlock to prevent side-side torsion otherwise the amp won't hold in place with the modified mounting system.

You can also fashion interlocking MDF guides but it may get a bit bulky real quick.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

That's definitely an interesting idea!

See, this is why I ask. Good responses. :D
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I wouldn't worry about vibration as much as random shit flying around your trunk.

I know you don't want to have to "relocate" your screw holes in the seat. You could just screw some sort of mounting board to the seat, then screw the amp into the board. E-Z. Or throw a blanket over them and leave them turned off??? :roll: :lol: