So how should i set my gains

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Capital_M
Baby on Board

So how should i set my gains

Post by Capital_M »

LPL 44 > TLD 66 > x600.1 > RSD12

How should gains be set?
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

http://phoenixphorum.com/gain-setting-w ... vt280.html

See if this helps from the How To section here on the forum :wink: :)
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

Well I have read that, but the thing is Errin said you need max imput volts to get the full output of the xenon, so I was thinking that would mean setting the gains at max.

Im probobly completeley off tho
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

leaving the gain at max ( minimum sensitivity = 8v ) on the amp does not produce full output from the xenon or from any amp in this case.

The gain setting is merely to match the whatever input level form HU or processor to the amp in order to reap the maximum output ftom the amp.
This is where the " gain setting with DMM " comes in.

What errin was trying to say is that to gain the full potential of a xenon or any amp, the input voltage has to be high enough to drive the amp to its max output .
This way the output signal from the amp remains clean and as distortion free as possible.

Line drivers helps here by amplifying the input line level from the HU or processor before getting to the amp.
This is because most HU does not produce very high line level output though i've came across one eclipse that actually puts out 15v !!!

hope this helps and pls correct me if i'm wrong.
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Sounds about right, but your avatar keeps looking at me :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

no, you are all wrong.,
according to the local shops here the gain is an independent
volume control that allows you to get more power from your amp.
also they said not to use to big of pwer wire so that the amp wont suck as much juice from your alternator andkill your battery.

im just joking ok..... :twisted:
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Leave your amp gain at full CCW (rotated left) and adjust your TLD to get the output voltage you are looking for, only adjust the amp gain if you can't ge the output needed with the TLD alone, measure for DC to verify no clipping as the TLD can clip if over adjusted just like an amp. Do the adjustments with the LPL44 disconnected or in the full CW (rotated right) position.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

So basically the LPL is only going to be used to turn the bass down becuase in its resting position where tested, its putting out full output of the amp
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

ummm
Attachments
Rotate.PNG
Rotate.PNG (9.31 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

ok makes sense
dragonplayboy

Post by dragonplayboy »

I'm curious, I've got the eclipse cd5000 deck running to the rsd500.4, bridging the back half on a rsd10. two questions here, how do you use the DMM to set the voltage? also, is there a graphic representation somewhere on LPL/HPL x-over? it just says 40-400 hz and you pretty much have to guess where the hell it's at since it doesn't click or anything...
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

Capital got a piece of advise for ya.

There are lots of technical ways to set gains and I used to be all worried about it and constantly tweak my Tbat / EQ230 / what ever amp I had. I always had it in my mind that it wasnt just perfect.

Then one day I decided to hell with the DMM and all the high tech mumbo jumbo and just set them by ear playing a high quality CD, such as something produced by Telarc. Ive been happy with it ever since.

The way I would do it is:

Verify all gains on minimum setting

Turn your HU most, but not all of the way up

Play a high quality CD and turn your TLD66 gain up till you have the highest clear volume you can get. Remember to step back away from the car a few feet and see what is sounds like there as well as inside the vehicle.
Have switched to Home Audio:

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
Klipsch Refrence II 5.1 set up
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

tsonka wrote:Capital got a piece of advise for ya.

There are lots of technical ways to set gains and I used to be all worried about it and constantly tweak my Tbat / EQ230 / what ever amp I had. I always had it in my mind that it wasnt just perfect.

Then one day I decided to hell with the DMM and all the high tech mumbo jumbo and just set them by ear playing a high quality CD, such as something produced by Telarc. Ive been happy with it ever since.

The way I would do it is:

Verify all gains on minimum setting

Turn your HU most, but not all of the way up

Play a high quality CD and turn your TLD66 gain up till you have the highest clear volume you can get. Remember to step back away from the car a few feet and see what is sounds like there as well as inside the vehicle.

What he says is golden, I also suggest the DMM method as a basic setting and then tweak a little by ear from there.
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

I do it tsonka's way also. If you lack the ear for tuning a system pay someone that has a great rep at doing just that, so your system will sound nice. C :wink: