tech question about PG x200.4 and lpl

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

tech question about PG x200.4 and lpl

Post by bdubs767 »

Been a while since I used an LPL so I need a refresh...

First question w/ the LPL connected to the x200.4 it only influences the rear channels right ?

Second w/ the LPL engaged does it bypass the onboard gain or work only up to the area where the onboard gain is set ?
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

The lpl should work on any channel that's utilizing a low pass filter.

The gain on the amp determines the peak output level, which is achieved when the lpl44 is turned all the way up. The lpl only attenuates the signal down from this highest level.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

dedlyjedly wrote:The lpl should work on any channel that's utilizing a low pass filter.

The gain on the amp determines the peak output level, which is achieved when the lpl44 is turned all the way up. The lpl only attenuates the signal down from this highest level.
thanks jed,

Gay though I have to use the LP xover to use the LPL arghh...
444 FED

Post by 444 FED »

So if all 4 channels were set to LP, the LPL would effect all channels?

On the subject of LPLs, any body have details of the control it self? resistance, pin out, etc? I don't have an LPL44, but have access to a lot of RBC-1s (JL Audio), and hope that I could just simply plug in a RBC-1 and work, or if slight modifications are needed, that would work for me as well.

Thanks
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

444 FED wrote:So if all 4 channels were set to LP, the LPL would effect all channels?

On the subject of LPLs, any body have details of the control it self? resistance, pin out, etc? I don't have an LPL44, but have access to a lot of RBC-1s (JL Audio), and hope that I could just simply plug in a RBC-1 and work, or if slight modifications are needed, that would work for me as well.

Thanks

Im almost positive the LPL is a 50kohm pot...
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

LPL44

My instructions are a little wrinkled, but there you go.
444 FED

Post by 444 FED »

Thumper88 wrote:LPL44

My instructions are a little wrinkled, but there you go.
Thanks Thumper, you confirmed what bdubs thought.

The only additional info I need now is the other end of teh cable, where it plugs into the amp (or x-over ;)), is the pin out (colours) just standad telephone pin out? If it is I can verify if this other control will work, or what I may have to do to modify it.

Thanks again.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

yea..

The phone (RJ11) connector is just like that image, viewing it from the top with the prong facing up.

The arrows pointing to the end of the connector.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
444 FED

Post by 444 FED »

Ok, so if I set all 4 channels to low pass, the LPL will control the level of all 4?
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

yes.
444 FED

Post by 444 FED »

Cool, thank you. :mrgreen:
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I have yet to verify it on the xenons but to my understanding the LPL will function when ever the LP XO is engaged, this means it should still operate when set as bandpass as well................ :wink:
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

^^^ My fronts were wired that way at one point - so yes as Erin stated it works
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

x3. I use bandpass xo on my ti500.4 for ti9's. lpl really kicks ass on my midbass!
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

dedlyjedly wrote:x3. I use bandpass xo on my ti500.4 for ti9's. lpl really kicks ass on my midbass!
You got your install done and havent posted pics :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: BAN :wink:
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

Question, since the LPL only attunates(sp) the gain from its highest point (12db) why is the highest point labels at 12 db? Shouldnt it be 0 db at highest gain and then - 12 on the lowest?
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

because that would make too much sense and would be a horrible marketing move saying "install this to turn your bass down", gosh..........

Marketing sense is the reasoning.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

VW337 wrote:because that would make too much sense and would be a horrible marketing move saying "install this to turn your bass down", gosh..........

thats my favorite thing about the clarion DRZ it actually gives you a real reading :D
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

VW337 wrote:because that would make too much sense and would be a horrible marketing move saying "install this to turn your bass down", gosh..........

:lol:
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

bdubs767 wrote:
dedlyjedly wrote:x3. I use bandpass xo on my ti500.4 for ti9's. lpl really kicks ass on my midbass!
You got your install done and havent posted pics :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: BAN :wink:
No, I haven't gotten a damn thing done as far as a personal system! :evil: I just had the equipment set up on the test bench for about a week! :wink:
444 FED

Post by 444 FED »

Well, tonight at work, I dis-assembled a JL Audio RBC-1 and a control from an Alpine PLT-5

The JL Audio control is a 10K pot, the Alpine is a 20K pot. Now if I were to use either of this as is, well the Alpine won't work as is, because it only uses two conductors, and I have to verify teh JL control is connected the same, anyway.... If I were to use thes pots at the lower resistance, I would just have less attanuation, correct? If I added a resistor or two in the circuit I could in theory make them work exactly as the LPL-44, correct?

The JL control would also have to be modified, for connections, since they bridge one of the outer tabs to the inner tabs, along with the wrong pin configuration.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

your guess is well placed.

The lower resistance will indeed yield less attenuation and once rewired should work to some extent.