RSd THD rating and general THD ?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

RSd THD rating and general THD ?

Post by bdubs767 »

I know it's high because of the weird CEA rating but can some one explain to me why their testing method produces such a high THD rating ?

Also any one know at what the number is % wise that the human ear can hear to, for total harmonic dist. ?
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
dragonplayboy

Post by dragonplayboy »

I read on DIY that you can't hear less than 1-5 if I recall correctly
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

The human ear can not pick up anything less than 3% and the average speaker produces 6-10% on it's own.

In regard to the CEA rating when you increase the power of an amp by their guidelines, once you hit 1% THD at any frequency then you have the power they will accept as your CEA value. No matter how you look at it the rating is equivalent to Xpower at 1% THD on any item rated to CEA standard, not just the RSd's
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

VW337 wrote:The human ear can not pick up anything less than 3% and the average speaker produces 6-10% on it's own.

In regard to the CEA rating when you increase the power of an amp by their guidelines, once you hit 1% THD at any frequency then you have the power they will accept as your CEA value. No matter how you look at it the rating is equivalent to Xpower at 1% THD on any item rated to CEA standard, not just the RSd's
O I see....basically amps today are rated totally different then they were in the past.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

yes and no.

if you look at the ratings area there is usually a box with the a rating and the CEA logo, this is the CEA rated power. You will also see a second set of ratings outside of the CEA box that have "other" power ratings, these are traditional numbers per the manu's previously used methods.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Well still the PG rating of RSd lists a 1% THD just w/ more power, while older amps like MS series list a .04 % or .02 %THD (cant remember the # exactly)
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Attachments
RSd Amp chart.PNG
RSd Amp chart.PNG (57.1 KiB) Viewed 3410 times