looking to bounce some ideas

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
lopezi

looking to bounce some ideas

Post by lopezi »

I'm trying to work through some options for my next setup but some of the things on the list are items I haven't used before so I was wanting to get some feedback on the ideas to filter out some of the less than ideal ones.

I have recently acquired a 2005 Subaru Outback XT Ltd. This vehicle has esentially the same interior as the Legacy GT Wagon and the dash layout is the same as the Legacy as well. One downside (and I knew this beforehand) is that the factory radio panel includes the electronic HVAC controls making it difficult to swap out the radio (metra and scosche do not make a replacement). However, there is an option to acquire a jdm double din radio kit. It appears that the jdm version of the vehicle has the option of a nav. radio or McIntosh radio in which they created a separate section for the HVAC controls. However, to order this kit/part runs ~$350. There is also an option to leave the factory radio in place and order a single din jdm kit that is used in the upper cubby area (the US vehicles had an option of a nav. system in the upper area, if you don't have the nav. it's just an area to put your phone or sunglasses in), which runs about $120.

I already have a Clarion DXZ785USB headunit which I'd like to re-use in this vehicle but $350 in order to keep the HVAC controls is a bit steep. I could go the single din jdm kit route and leave the factory unit in place but part of me thinks it looks out of place and then my wife will forget which radio actually is the one to turn on.

So, a third option is to keep the factory radio (sell off the Clarion) and do some type of OEM integration. If I went this route I'd like to have the same features as I have with my Clarion unit (time alignment, parametric eq., crossovers, usb thumb drive access, XM connectivity). From what I've come across, the JL CleanSweep would give me the integration plus the addition of AUX module would allow for other connectivity but I would not have crossovers, end user time alignment or end user parametric eq. The 360.2 looks to have the crossovers, time alignment and eq. capabilities but it's a bit pricey. The MS-8 also looks to have these features but again a bit pricey.

So, are there any other options I haven't come across? The Clarion unit was under $200 and had 6V pre-amp out, crossovers, time alignment and para-eq. How come there aren't any OEM integration tools in the same range price-wise? I don't necessarily need a DSP auto eq. to correct the factory radio's output as I could probably correct it via whatever other end user options are available.

Am I missing something?
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

the clarion is i nice unit! the better question is what are you going to run amps/speaker subs ect
to know that will help us know what might be the best answer
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
lopezi

Post by lopezi »

kg1961 wrote:the clarion is i nice unit! the better question is what are you going to run amps/speaker subs ect
to know that will help us know what might be the best answer
I haven't made a decisive choice on my amps yet. I have a few in my collection. The list includes:
PG ZX450
Crossfire CFA404s
Crossfire CFA602
Blaupunkt PA4100
Blaupunkt PA2150
Sony XM2150
Sony XM1600GSD
(before anyone jumps to dump on the Sonys, they were free and when I have used them, they've been reliable)

As far as speakers go, I currently have a pair of Pioneer TS-C1653s which have worked out great on my past two vehicles. From what I've gathered about the Outback factory speaker locations is that the factory tweeter is in a bad spot and people have recommened a point source speaker in the doors. With that said, I have added Polk Audio MM651 to my list of candidates unless I can mount the Pioneer tweeters near the woofer in the door somewhere. Rear speakers will just be a pair of JL Audio TR-650CXis.

Subwoofer options are still being decided as well. A company makes an enclosure that mounts in the rear right side of the wagon and I have a JL 10w1v2 that I could use if I pick up that enclosure. I've thought about fabricating my own enclosures one on each side of the wagon using a pair of RE8s that I have. There is also the option of doing an enclosure that sits just above the spare tire area with either the 10 or the 8s. My goal would be maximum usage of the wagon area, no intrusion of a subwoofer box (so no box along the back seat).

Not sure if that helps any...
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

I would throw that ZX450 at the Polk's or Pioneer's( running active ), I would throw the crossfire 404s at the rear speakers ( bridged output ), and put that Crossfire 602 on the subs.
Nico156

Post by Nico156 »

dBincognito wrote:I would throw that ZX450 at the Polk's or Pioneer's( running active ), I would throw the crossfire 404s at the rear speakers ( bridged output ), and put that Crossfire 602 on the subs.

Hi
I send you pm and email but you don't answer me. What are you doing?
Alpine 9835
ADS PQ20 for Morel mt-23 and sw6
Phoenix Gold Pld1 + ZX350 for Morel sw9
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I am personally a big fan of OEM integration. I did that in my Saab. As it turns out, the stock headunit was a Pioneer with balanced line outputs! Since I don't listen to MP3 CDs, there was no need for an aftermarket HU. I used an AudioControl Four.1 to add an aux-in jack for my iPod on rare occasions.

Sounds fantastic, looks and functions totally stock! No loss of integration with the dash displays, etc. And the stealth factor is fantastic, since I don't worry half as much about people stealing my equipment!

Look into how your headunit communicates with the stock amplifier (if there is one). Many cars have an interface that you can easily tap into. All I had to do in my car was splice some $2 RCA female ends onto the stock wiring!
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

sounds good 8)
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
lopezi

Post by lopezi »

stipud wrote:I am personally a big fan of OEM integration. I did that in my Saab. As it turns out, the stock headunit was a Pioneer with balanced line outputs! Since I don't listen to MP3 CDs, there was no need for an aftermarket HU. I used an AudioControl Four.1 to add an aux-in jack for my iPod on rare occasions.

Sounds fantastic, looks and functions totally stock! No loss of integration with the dash displays, etc. And the stealth factor is fantastic, since I don't worry half as much about people stealing my equipment!

Look into how your headunit communicates with the stock amplifier (if there is one). Many cars have an interface that you can easily tap into. All I had to do in my car was splice some $2 RCA female ends onto the stock wiring!
Yeah, thanks for reminding me what you had done with your set up. Although I had been searching for a couple of weeks now I had not come across anything yet about deriving line out from the factory unit (outside of LOCs, Cleansweep etc.). Last night I finally stumbled on a thread where someone had found the points on an '08 factory headunit but they believe the same points exist on the '05 factory headunit. This person even found how to disable the factory "loudness" circuit (it isn't defeatable from any of the options). This all requires tearing apart the unit to get to the circuit board, but I've done my fair share of Playstation modding, Macrovision circuit bypassing in the day that I should be able to accomplish these mods.

In the end, if I perform the mods, I'll get a usable line-level output of 1.5V if the factory eq. is left at 0 and 2V with the factory eq at full. The people that have inspected the output say it's a clean unclipped signal throughout the full volume knob. The factory eq is a three band setup although I'm not sure where any of the bands are centered at and what the bandwidth they cover but at least there are three bands to work with.

Without being too expensive are there any line driver/ para-eqs available? I know Audio Control has some but the eq's are fixed frequency with the sub channel having para-eq. I was wanting 3 or 4 bands of para-eq if possible. If not, then I might just go with a straight 6 channel line driver.
lopezi

Post by lopezi »

dBincognito wrote:I would throw that ZX450 at the Polk's or Pioneer's( running active ), I would throw the crossfire 404s at the rear speakers ( bridged output ), and put that Crossfire 602 on the subs.
That'd be great but I'm not sure if my stock alternator would concur. It is an uprated alternator though, cold weather package with power heated seats and heated windshield wipers so it might have more output than I'm giving it credit for (actually has 110A output, which is not too shabby).
Last edited by lopezi on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

lopezi wrote:Without being too expensive are there any line driver/ para-eqs available? I know Audio Control has some but the eq's are fixed frequency with the sub channel having para-eq. I was wanting 3 or 4 bands of para-eq if possible. If not, then I might just go with a straight 6 channel line driver.
That would be the PG TEQP4 if you can still find one!
Last edited by stipud on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
lopezi

Post by lopezi »

stipud wrote:
lopezi wrote:Without being too expensive are there any line driver/ para-eqs available? I know Audio Control has some but the eq's are fixed frequency with the sub channel having para-eq. I was wanting 3 or 4 bands of para-eq if possible. If not, then I might just go with a straight 6 channel line driver.
That would be the PG TEQP4 if you can still find one!
Thanks, figures that would be an elusive unit. I found the TEQ6 available but not the TEQP4.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

from the price i would just buy the TEQ6 this is one on ebay new shipped for 75
you can't beat that

http://cgi.ebay.com/TEQ6-PHOENIX-GOLD-T ... 1e5dae1a1e

Mike
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

The 6 isn't parametric though, like he was looking for. Parametric allows you to adjust the frequency and Q (within a range) so you can more accurately EQ your equipment (albeit with less overall bands). However without an RTA I wouldn't bother with this at all (parametric or non), since it will be a total shot in the dark.
lopezi

Post by lopezi »

stipud wrote:The 6 isn't parametric though, like he was looking for. Parametric allows you to adjust the frequency and Q (within a range) so you can more accurately EQ your equipment (albeit with less overall bands). However without an RTA I wouldn't bother with this at all (parametric or non), since it will be a total shot in the dark.
True, a RTA would be key but I just use the para-eq features to round out the sound of the overall setup. I've found that different vehicles along with varying speakers have peaks and valleys that a fixed frequency eq doesn't always let me "correct" for (plus I don't always have the luxury of building tweeter pods/kick panels, etc). The para-eq lets me slide around the range I think the problem is in until it sounds ok to me, this could be too harsh in the 3-6khz range or too much in the 150Hz area, all depends however.

The para-eq allows for sculpting similar to a 31 band fixed freq./narrow bandwidth eq.
lopezi

ok, another quick question

Post by lopezi »

I've also found a mod for the factory headunit that'll allow it to accept an aux-in. However, I'll have two inputs that'll I'll want to use.

The Soundgate AUX 3 item sounds like it would solve my dilemna but it's discontinued and it also looks like Kicker killed the whole line of products. Is there another manufacturer that makes a similar product?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

you can make a switcher out of a couple of relays.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.