Amp suggestion for amps.

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Mongoose

Amp suggestion for amps.

Post by Mongoose »

Yo

Been out of the game a little while so bear with me please. I drove the last car i had a system in through a intersection and totaled it :oops: and had to sell off most of the stuff at the time, about 3 years ago or so now. Old system was a set of CDT 2way seperates powered off a zx350v2 and 2 alumapro alchemy 12's sealed in 1cu boxes powered off a zx600ti@2ohms mono. Some random 2 way coaxials for rear fill powered off a pioneer deh-p4400 iirc. All run through a audiocontrol three.1.

Audiocontrol/all CDT speakers/zx600ti were sold off and that pioneer hu was nothing to write home about 6 years ago or so. Ive still got my pair of 4 ohm alchemy's and they look to have survived storage without any issues. The zx350v2 is most likely dead as i was careless and moved the box that it was in to my non heated garage and left it next to a window for about 18 months. IDK if its survived or not but its got some nasty surface rust on the case. We'll assume its dead, the right channel was gett'n weak before i smashed up the car anyway.

Now im gett'n close to finishing my Mustang for cruise'n season but i'll need some tunes.

The plan as it stands now is a pioneer deh-p880prs or a deh-p860mp(if i can still find one), one of my alchemy's in a .9cu sealed box. I may hunt myself up another audiocontrol three.1 but those newer pioneer hu's might be good enough. I have a set of old infinity refrence 605cs comps that i purchased for one of my past gf's cars but never installed. They should be good enough to get me going. If i find i really must have rear fill coaxials off the hu should suffice and they are cheap anway. Just need to decide on amps. I was think'n something like a xenon 100.4. Front channels on the infinity comps and the rear channels bridged to the single alchemy@4 ohms. Then if i found down the road i really must have that second sub i can throw a xenon 400.1 on the 2 alch's. I will be running a set higher end seperates for the frontstage eventualy, i had my eye on CDT eurosports and dynaudio seperates before i got out of the car stereo game.

How do these RSD/xenon amps compare to the old MS/ZX/Ti series amps? Hard to compare to some of the best amps ever made. The low prices on these new pg amps has me a little concerned. I think im going to keep my eye out for a zx/ti 500.4 for a little while since im used to em but wanted to get some input on these xenon's/RSD's and how they would fit in my current set up and how well they will grow with what i want to do.

thanks
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Tons of reviews on this site on the amps your interested in. My suggestion to you is pop some corn, pour you a drink and get to reading. You'll find tons of info to help you decide.

FYI sound quality is nearly the same in all the amp lines you listed above. Features are what really sets them apart.:wink:

Good luck.
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

I think the Xenon 400.1 is a class D amp while the Xenon 100.4 is an class A/B. I personally wouldn't put one sub on a A/B and another on a D.
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Xenon 600.1 will power both of those subs perfectly. VW337 is selling one I think. A Xenon 100.4 or 200.2 would be a perfect match for it as well.

The newer top of the line amps sound every bit as good as the old ones.

Most important factor to give advice here is probably what your budget is. You should be able to get both Xenon amps for under $500, power wiring will be at least $100, etc.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

im not sure im going to run both my alchs. Im planning on only running one at this time and the comps amped. Budget is the least i can spend but have'n room to grow with whatever amp(s) i choose. I "can" spend more but dont want to buy a sub amp thats really only got enough juice to power one sub and then find i want both in later down the road and have a amp that isnt up to the task. But if the quality of these new amps is up to snuff i think i'll be fine.

a 600.1 will be a overkill for one, thats why i was think'n of going with a 100.4 to start out with running a single alchemy off the rear channels and the comps off the front. If i throw the second sub in there i can run both off a 400.1 or 600.1. And have the 100.4 biamped or running both front and rears or whatever, i'll have options with it. Or similar amps from the RSD line if the xenon's prove hard to find or the Ti/ZX line if i can find em.

Now that ive been think'n about it more than a day ive never run a 4 channel amp like that. I'll have to have an additional crossover i think anyway so i'll just go ahead and figure a Audio control 6xs into my calculations.

Temp plan

deh-p880pms
Audio control 6xs
xenon 100.4
100wrms x2 to the 605cs comps
200wrms x1 to a single Alchemy 12

That will leave me open to something like this down the road
deh-p880pms
audio control 6xs
xenon 100.4 biamp'd to a quality set of seperates
xenon 400.1 running 1 alchemy or 600.1 running 2 alchemy's if i want both.

Add in some additional signal processing like a EQS or something down the road if i really want to do something fun.

thanks for the replies
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Sounds like you've got it all figured out man. Don't forget to post pictures 8)
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Yea, these newer amps are very inexpensive compared to the stuff im used to. If someone would have told me you could buy PG's highest power amp from there top line for under $400 5 years ago i prolly would have laughed at them. When i bought my zx600ti it was $550 iirc. I would still love to have a ti900.7 to run my entire system tho. They are prolly worth just as much if not more today than they were 4 or 5 years ago. Love single amp installs for some odd reason.

Only knock is there isnt a PG dealer with in a hundred miles of here. So online/ebay/used are my only choices :( There are RSD 500.4's on ebay right now NIB BIN $199. I should prolly just do that
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Mongoose wrote:Yea, these newer amps are very inexpensive compared to the stuff im used to. If someone would have told me you could buy PG's highest power amp from there top line for under $400 5 years ago i prolly would have laughed at them. When i bought my zx600ti it was $550 iirc. I would still love to have a ti900.7 to run my entire system tho. They are prolly worth just as much if not more today than they were 4 or 5 years ago. Love single amp installs for some odd reason.

Only knock is there isnt a PG dealer with in a hundred miles of here. So online/ebay/used are my only choices :( There are RSD 500.4's on ebay right now NIB BIN $199. I should prolly just do that
Sup dude, I have an NIB Ti900.7(check out audio sales if ur interested) I am thinking about selling but not for cheap, has never been installed. I am looking for 675 shipped. I bought it for 750 so I am already taking a hit but if you want to spend it, I got it. Also includes an LPL44. If not, it's all good, but just letting you know they're around if you want them bad enough. I have it available but if I can't get that sales tag, I am just gonna use it myself within 2 months.
Rides History-www.cardomain.com/id/HotColt22

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthre ... did=142047
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthre ... did=142046

If I didnt have a great headunit and didnt get my amps for so cheap I'd buy those....
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Phoenixcolt wrote:
Sup dude, I have an NIB Ti900.7(check out audio sales if ur interested) I am thinking about selling but not for cheap, has never been installed. I am looking for 675 shipped. I bought it for 750 so I am already taking a hit but if you want to spend it, I got it. Also includes an LPL44. If not, it's all good, but just letting you know they're around if you want them bad enough. I have it available but if I can't get that sales tag, I am just gonna use it myself within 2 months.
I'd love to but right now im not letting myself spend that much. To many other things to spend money on for this season. Thanks for the consideration tho.
bdubs767 wrote:
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthre ... did=142047
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthre ... did=142046

If I didnt have a great headunit and didnt get my amps for so cheap I'd buy those....
Yea im not close'n myself off to zapco's or arc's, even the old ppi art series. There is a 360.4 on ebay im watching right now I also wouldnt mind find'n some old soundstream refrence/rubicon's. I had a lil'wonder 4 for a few months, was very impressed with it at the time. Ive also heard some good things about soundstreams vangoh series of amps. Car wont be on the road till early to mid june-ish because of other updates being performed so ive got some time and keep'n my eye's open.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

oh, does anyone remember the flat/low profile power wire for under carpet? i think stinger made it around 6 or 7 years ago? Used it through the cabin of my last install with a coupler since 5/8" diameter wire isnt fun to try and hide.

Im going to be running 1/0 gauge to a hatch distro and 6 channels of rca's and 2 remotes right off the bat so i dont have to tear into my interior more than once but cant find that flat power power anywhere, even on stingers website. If anyone can remember the series that wire came from or anywhere with any stock let me know. I can run a dist block under the dash and run dual 4 gauge through the cabin if i have to but that flat 0 guage was thinner than 4gauge diameter.

thanks
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Lightning Audio made flat power wire, don't know about Stinger....

Lightning Audio SQ series

Don't know where to get it, not made anymore, see some distro blocks and 4 guage kits on eBay, but no 1/0 gauge.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

If you want flat power cable look for Ixos.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

is ixos the stuff sound choaice carryed that i commented on? if so....it is hott
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

That is correct.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

http://www.ixos.co.uk/us/index.asp

is that their site?

All I see it RCA cables...I can't find any power wire there... :?:
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

That is their site but they don't show their car stuff as it is dealer only............
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

http://ixos.co.uk/car/ if you want to see what they have. Ive got 3 dealers here with in 50 miles of me but they dont carry ixos car audio lines, home audio only.

There is still stinger expert series 4ga on ebay for $2 a foot. Is as nice to work with as anything ive ever used so i'll go that way.

Im half tempted to just say screw it, go with a xenon 200.4 and save myself about $100+ on wire/blocks. Its got enough power to push my comps beyond there limits on the front channels and to the limit of one of my alumapro's and 2 will run fine on 400~450rms bridged on the rears. I'd only have to run 1 4ga power/ground instead of 2 and no dist blocks and only 4 channels of rca's.

I should have never sold all my old stinger expert series blocks/wire from my old install :cry:
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Mongoose wrote:Im half tempted to just say screw it, go with a xenon 200.4 .......... I'd only have to run 1 4ga power/ground instead of 2 and no dist blocks and only 4 channels of rca's.

POWER WARNING--------

The X200.4 has two sets of 4gauge inputs, it is advised to use both.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

damn, i missed that bit when i skimmed its manual in pdf :oops: . oh well back to the original plan then
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

^^Fixed.^^

:siren: :siren: :siren: POWER WARNING--------:siren: :siren: :siren:

The X200.4 has two sets of 4gauge inputs, it is advised to use both.