Someone explain batteries to me please

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Someone explain batteries to me please

Post by Capital_M »

Why do battery companies say that upgrading the battery will yeild a better sounding system when the power is being drawn from the alternator, I never understood this.

Just wondering becuase I getting my system all installed on wednesday I wondering if its worth it to use an Optima Yellowtop with a stock alternator. Also can you use these batteries as your only battery?
Last edited by Capital_M on Sun May 13, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

I honestly feel that its all marketing.
When your car is running, your system draws power from your alternator, and its very rare that your system will ever draw power from your battery.

however, when your car is turned off for show purposes, or just thumpin' away, batteries are important, since the battery is the sole source of power for the system.

all `n all, performance batteries can's hurt, but make sure if you buy one its suited for its intended purpose.

The only reason why I bought a yellow top is that the stereo shop that I worked at carried them, and I got it for a good price when my OE battery died. Its been pretty reliable for me so far. :wink:
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

A Stock battery and charging system that is working propely will be pleanty for MOST systems.

Id pay more attention with running 0 or 2ga power wire to your amps. And mabay just doing "the big 3" to your charging system.

1. Improved battery to chassis ground
2. Improved wiring between the Alt and the battery
3. Improved Engine to chassis ground
Have switched to Home Audio:

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
Klipsch Refrence II 5.1 set up
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

I am running 0 gauge to a 600.1 and a 100.2 (about 1100 watts) I was just planning on doing the big three but my brother told me a yellow top would probobly be a good idea, but i was thinking if anything an H/O alternator would be better
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

I've currently "slimmed" my system down to about what you have. I have a HO alternator and a yellowtop and everything seems to run fine as is.

Except, I keep blowing fuses on my X600.1 but I believe it's because of the sub it's running.
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

whats wrong with the sub?
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

It's the Ti Elite, and it's too much for the amp to handle. It pulls too much from the amp in order to push it. I'm switching it out to an RSd soon. VERY SOON!!
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

AVICJR wrote:I've currently "slimmed" my system down to about what you have. I have a HO alternator and a yellowtop and everything seems to run fine as is.

Except, I keep blowing fuses on my X600.1 but I believe it's because of the sub it's running.
how does elite sound with a x600.1?
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

So final verdict, stock alternator stock battery or stock alternator and yellow top?
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

vin78 wrote:
AVICJR wrote:I've currently "slimmed" my system down to about what you have. I have a HO alternator and a yellowtop and everything seems to run fine as is.

how does elite sound with a x600.1?
Decent, but the gain is down really low and it's really overpowered by my mids and highs at the moment. I keep blowing fuses when I crank it up even a little. I've finally given up on it, that's why I decided to scratch it. I've had tons of problems so far with it.

Cap--sorry for the thread jack. :oops: :oops:
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Capital_M wrote:So final verdict, stock alternator stock battery or stock alternator and yellow top?
Go with a Kinetik brand battery or something specifically made for car audio. Yellowtops may not be the best for car audio applications. Then if you need more look into the HO alternator.
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

Dont worry about the Hijack 8) Why dont you buy Errins last x600 and use two to run the sub?

Also I dont want a Kinetik as the shipping of a battery to Canada would be :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Plus the yellow top already has the side posts for GM cars so its basically just drop in.

But my question is, would a battery make any difference?
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Power is not a problem. I do have 2 X600.1's for the sub, but do to different problems, I've decided to get rid of one.

As far as your situation, install what you got now. Then, if you need to upgrade it will become apparent right away ie.. voltage drops, headlight dimming, etc, etc...

Have you read any of this?

http://phoenixphorum.com/proper-power-vt181.html
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

I guess we'll just have to see :?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

vin78 wrote:I honestly feel that its all marketing.
When your car is running, your system draws power from your alternator, and its very rare that your system will ever draw power from your battery.
While this is true, doesn't a batter "filter" power from your alt to a degree? I mean the battery is connected to the circuit and power is always running "through" it. So wouldn't a good battery have some affect in this way?
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:
vin78 wrote:I honestly feel that its all marketing.
While this is true, doesn't a batter "filter" power from your alt to a degree? I mean the battery is connected to the circuit and power is always running "through" it. So wouldn't a good battery have some affect in this way?
Fuzzy, I'm not quite sure what you are talking about...
But if I'm reading it right, it seems that you are talking about a very small amount of power here, the battery's main purpose is starting.

Yes it can provide a little extra juice in extreme situations, but for the most part, It doesn't do too much in terms of adding extra power for car audio.
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

doesnt the battery help in stabilizing the voltage during peaks ?? I believe stiffening caps does the same thing too rite..

correct me if wrong pls....
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

http://phoenixphorum.com/proper-power-vt181.html

A battery will filter the AC ripple coming off of your alternator. Also a battery designed for audio purpose as previously mentioned is a lower drain on your alternator. If your battery rests at 12.6 volts and your alternator runs at 13.8-14.4, the battery presents a load. However if the battery has a stable voltage of 13.2 it is a lesser load on the system.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.