TLD22 line driver and RCA query.

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
saber

TLD22 line driver and RCA query.

Post by saber »

I've got 1 set of RCA leads from my head unit.

I’ve connected the leads to my amp. Everything works as it should.

Over the weekend, I decided to add a line driver (PG TLD22). In the future I plan to add an external processor, so the line driver is a “dry test run” to see if everything would work, and if any issues would arise.

The setup was as follows:

RCA leads -> Line driver -> amp.

The problem is, it isn’t working! There is no music coming through.

For whatever reason, when I plug an rca lead into the driver, the voltage at the RCA leads drops from a varying voltage signal to a constant 0.0003v. If I adjust the gain of the line driver, all I get is a bit of static coming from the speakers. There is no music :(

I know the above by the following test: I used my multimeter to monitor the voltage of 1 rca lead without it being connected to the line driver. The voltage varies (as I expected). I then connected the other RCA lead to the line driver. The voltage now drops to a constant 0.0003V. The output voltage of the line driver is also constant.

I’ve tested to see if the line driver is faulty as follows: I connected the line converter (Stinger SGN13) to the rear speaker wire, and feed the output of the line converter to the line driver, which then feed the amp. The setup was as follows:

Speaker wire (rear) -> Line converter -> Line driver -> amp.

The above setup works perfectly! If I adjust the gain on the line driver, the volume adjusts up and down accordingly.

From what I understand, the RCA leads signal is unbalanced (ie think of an RCA lead. The inner electrode is the signal, the outer metal ring is ground).

Should I be providing a balanced signal to the line driver?

Any help is much appreciated!