Phoenix Gold X6.5 too or not too

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
skitz

Phoenix Gold X6.5 too or not too

Post by skitz »

hey guys,

i currently have 5X7" alpine type-r splits in my front doors and i give them hell and i am after a better set. the new set needs to be hardy and well made as i really give my speakers hell.

anyway my question is how do these rate compared to what i have and in general what are they like? or bang for buck should i look else where? i would be using a OCTANE-R 5.0:4 to power them alone.

also whats the go with the giant sized crossover and the fact that there is only one....? info on that would be great. and where do ppl put them as i got no idea boot? ....

thanks heaps in advance

cheers kyle
Last edited by skitz on Wed May 16, 2007 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

Just pick up the rsd's. They are a much better set all around, and can be had for cheap.
skitz

Post by skitz »

Mackenzie wrote:Just pick up the rsd's. They are a much better set all around, and can be had for cheap.
u seriouse...? and yeah they are way cheaper too does everyone agree with this?
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

skitz wrote:
Mackenzie wrote:Just pick up the rsd's. They are a much better set all around, and can be had for cheap.
u seriouse...? and yeah they are way cheaper too does everyone agree with this?
Yes I am dead serious. Take a minute, and search around the forums. The 2 sets do not really even compare..
skitz

Post by skitz »

"Yes I am dead serious. Take a minute, and search around the forums. The 2 sets do not really even compare."

hmm well if thats the case.... am i better of staying with the Type-R's? as i want to upgrade and i was under the impression that Phoenix Gold rsd's splits wernt the best thing on the market... i was also looking at a set of Boston Acoustics Pro60 6.5 but then i came across the Phoenix Gold X6.5 and i liked the look and thought if they were as good a build and quality as the xenon 10d4 subs i got then i will be most impressed but from what ur saying they are EXTREAMLY crap.... now i am confused

cheers though
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

I'd like to say that like close to half this forum has or is buying RSD 6.5s. Best bang for the buck is what I hear. I'll let you know on friday
skitz

Post by skitz »

Capital_M wrote: I'll let you know on friday
cheers, what did u have before though?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

The problem with Xenon subs is they have no midbass, so they require a front speaker with good low end to be able to play those missing frequencies.

The problem with the Xenon components is that they ALSO have no midbass. This means you will have a big gap between your bass and your front stage.

The RSD components have an improved tweeter from the Xenon line. The midrange is nearly as clear, however the midbass is astoundingly loud and clear. A set of the 6.5's fit into your doors, and properly sealed or sound deadened would certianly be enough to blend well with your Xenons.

For many of us here, we know of the RSD line as the "best bang for the buck" set on the market right now. The subwoofers are equally good... lots of tightness, lots of deep bass... very musical.

Do not be fooled. The RSD line is a decent replacement of the Xenon line. The speakers are MUCH better, however I still personally prefer the Xenon amps. The RSD amps are no slouch either, however I am just very pleased with Xe.load ;)
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

skitz wrote:
Capital_M wrote: I'll let you know on friday
cheers, what did u have before though?
... stock, lol, but ive heard plenty of speakers in friends and my brothers car.
pnyryd

Post by pnyryd »

RSD 6.5's Kick Butt I was really surprised with the sound and performance.
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

yeap ..........those comps are really musical....movin from oct-r6.5 to these was a huge leap.....rsd sounds much relaxed and the treble is sweet....
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
skitz

Post by skitz »

okay so i am now leaning towards the RSD's but the next question is... will they be way better than the Type-R 5X7" splits as they are giving me a nice mid atm i guss being a 5X7" helps that a lil bit too :P

and are they going to be up to the beating...?

i am willing to spend more than this level though... around 500AUD but only if need be i just want a set of splits that will keep up and give good vocals and clarity with my system which atm is 2X xenon 10d4's and pioneer yellow cone splits in the rear.

cheers
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

so since you have a r5.0:4 is there any way you could do a 3 way set up front? (do you have room for say a 5.25 AND 6" on each side?)

an rsd 6.5 dedicaded midbass with a 5" comp set (or even a 5.25 coax) would creat an amazing front stage and bridge the gap you have with your xenon's
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
skitz

Post by skitz »

Bfowler wrote:so since you have a r5.0:4 is there any way you could do a 3 way set up front? (do you have room for say a 5.25 AND 6" on each side?)

an rsd 6.5 dedicaded midbass with a 5" comp set (or even a 5.25 coax) would creat an amazing front stage and bridge the gap you have with your xenon's
hmm atm i dont really have the $$ to have my doors redesigned to look nice and fit 3 way setup as much as i would love it... my doors have a shitty design and there is a usless pouch in them and they would need work that i cant afford atm to be done. (i will get a pic up tomorrow for you to see what i mean. but the stock mount is a 5X7"...)

as a side note i will be bridging the amp for the front channel so i have more head room and no chance of the amp cliping ... (need to know how to bridge it though as i am new to all this)

so it looks like the rsd 6.5 are still the way to go kool glad i asked before i bought the x65's hahaha

cheers
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

gotcha,

lol the rsd are better then the xenons all around. (actually their mids are about equal so i shouldn't say all around)

even though it sounds like we already convinced you on the rsd's superiority, another downside to the xenon's is the size. the mids have huge magnets and assemblies and don't fit in most typical applications
skitz

Post by skitz »

hahahahaha rofl okay u probably wont beleive me hear but i have a 15cm mounting debth on my car before i run into any form of it looking like a problem :P all my mates were like wtf when they saw it :P and yes my doors are soundend:P hahaha

so all things considered if the magnent will fit are they that much worse as if the mids are the same etc etc and whats the go with the MASIVE crossover? and where would u put it as they share it?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Now we just need to get you rocking some RSD 10 SVC's instead of your Xenon 10D4's. That would be a better load for your 15.0:1, and I personally prefer the sound of the RSD woofers as well. The Xenons would be a great fit for a home subwoofer, but they just play too low for a car.
skitz

Post by skitz »

sorry to say and disapoint there man but i am quite happy with what they are doing atm and i am in no rush to upgrade that side of town for quite some time after the new fronts the next big expense is a screen so i can get my modded xbox into my car:P hahaha cant wait

that being said i do really like the idea of gettin 3ways for the front and i might look into geting a quote done on my door trim in the not to distant future. but for now i am just after an easy fix and i cant aford to buy 2 new subs:P

cheers
Last edited by skitz on Wed May 16, 2007 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

i like the xenon subs a ton! i just cant get them to blend with any front stage that i have had. and they are 22lbs each and effect the way my car drives quite a bit!
skitz

Post by skitz »

Bfowler wrote:i like the xenon subs a ton!
i hear ya there man i dig em too
Bfowler wrote: i just cant get them to blend with any front stage that i have had.
thats why i thought the X65's might do the job as i thought that as they are from the same series that they might fix each others flaws if u know what i mean... but when we find the right mix they will go off i recon...

is it possiable it could have somethink to do with the box's? as i dont think mine is anywhere near as bad as its being made out to be ... mind u i get a nice amount of mid from the 5X7" and yes granted that it is a lil low on the mid but with the right filters and HU settings and a good box... it cant be all that bad... can it?

out of my mates cars my 1 xenon 10" out performs all off them hahaha and when i get the second one in ... rofl cant wait

and some of there cars have:
1X alpine type-r 12"
2X alpine type-s 12"
2X Infinity 12"
2X kenwood kfc's

and they have all stated that my single 10" pumps harder and responds and sounds better than theres :P

and also i like it no point in upgrading i aint entering in comps or anythink...
Bfowler wrote:22lbs each and effect the way my car drives quite a bit!
hmm how many of them do u have? 10's or 12'? got any pics of them installed?

cheers
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

i have actually had quite a few setups over the last couple years

i started with 2 xs12's firing forward - they did not play low enough and were damn heavy in their box

next i had 2 xenon 10's - Firing backwards - sound amazing - but between them, their box and all my other amp racks etc my car was noticably slower. the heaviest setup i have had

next i tried 1 xenon 12, i could never put my finger on it...it just didn't sound quite right. not as loud or punch as the pair of x10's

i then picked up a rsd prototype 12 from PG's F&F sale....and was blown away. it was a lot like the x10's but much lighter...i was pleased as punch.

i then (don't know why) decided i wanted to try one speaker again because it was still on the heavy side. i tried the x10 again so i put one sealed into the cabin of my car. it was nice....but not nearly loud enough and didn't blend well at all.

i currently have 2 rsd 10's firing forward into the cabin. its pretty awesome, but i am going to compare it back with the rsd 12 pretty soon

so i guess what I'm really saying is....i loved the xenon 10's the most, but they aren't really an option for me because of their weight and large box requirements. perhaps if i get an SUV or a vehicle where that doesn't matter they will rock again!\

heres some pics from when i was installing the 2 xenon10's
Attachments
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG (749.18 KiB) Viewed 8569 times
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG (804.19 KiB) Viewed 8569 times
davidc81

Post by davidc81 »

i love bmw's bc their batteries are in the trunk. you probably save so much money on power wire :wink:
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

yes i do!!! only 3 feet of 1/0 made my day
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

davidc81 wrote:i love bmw's bc their batteries are in the trunk. you probably save so much money on power wire :wink:
... and you don't have to worry about going through the firewall with large gauge wiring, which can be a pain.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
skitz

Post by skitz »

hmm to be totally honest i cant say i have noticed the weight that much for it to affect my choice .... i am gussing a fibreglass box is lighter than a solid wood one as well...

as fair as the X65's go i was talking a mate and this is what he had to say about his X65:

"I have nothing to compare my Xenon's up against but I'm still extremely happy with mine. I have 600w RMS going into the splits and they have never clipped or anything.

Mine certainly take a beating aswell, I mainly listen to metal and they take on the mid-bass, vocals and highs no problems

I agree there is not a heap of midbass, I have normally increased the gains to make up for the lacking midbass."

again now i am way confused... as metal sounds shit with heaps of bass so it would have to be mid bass that he is getting for him to be impressed...

is it possiable that every speaker will sound different in every car under different setups (different doors, diff soundending levels, different HU setings, different amps?)

hey honestly did you think the 2X10" were better sounding than the 2RSD10"?

cheers