New (to me) m100 problem

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
RacerX

New (to me) m100 problem

Post by RacerX »

So I recently bought an m100. As soon as I got it, I powered it up on my bench and found that it would come on even without anything connected to the remote input. I promptly opened her up to see if there was something crossed internally, but saw nothing obviously wrong. So I figured what the hell, reassembled it and installed it. Sure enough it powered up without the remote wire connected. I connected it anyways. I should have done an amp draw test, but didn't. It pounded my 2 JL 12 w6's perfectly........... for 3 days. Apparently it had been drawing my 1 month old optima yellowtop enough to kill it. I have since removed the amp.

Are there any common problems that could cause this? I really want to continue to use this amp and would be willing to repair it or have it repaired.

Thanks!
rolandk

Re: New (to me) m100 problem

Post by rolandk »

A transistor in the remote circuit is shorted. Its near the fuse and either a ZTX749 or MPS750, iirc its labelled Q2 on the PCB.
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Sounds like I found the right place! Thanks!
tonym

Post by tonym »

RacerX wrote:So I recently bought an m100. As soon as I got it, I powered it up on my bench and found that it would come on even without anything connected to the remote input. I promptly opened her up to see if there was something crossed internally, but saw nothing obviously wrong. So I figured what the hell, reassembled it and installed it. Sure enough it powered up without the remote wire connected. I connected it anyways. I should have done an amp draw test, but didn't. It pounded my 2 JL 12 w6's perfectly........... for 3 days. Apparently it had been drawing my 1 month old optima yellowtop enough to kill it. I have since removed the amp.

Are there any common problems that could cause this? I really want to continue to use this amp and would be willing to repair it or have it repaired.

Thanks!

a few ppl here can fix that amp to pound another 20 years...

valeks1 and ericd would be who you would want to contact....
Ive used both with 5 star results
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

ZTX749 it is, got it off the board. Going to pick up a replacement tonight hopefully!