RSD 65cs for home audio

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
dozy_production

RSD 65cs for home audio

Post by dozy_production »

Ill repost this in this section just because there seems to be more activity.

My room mate and i want some cheap but still decent sound for our small room. Thats why i was thinking of just building a couple of bookshelf enclosures and putting some 65cs' in them. So practically im being a really lazy and cheap DIY'r. :)

I just want to ask if i can get away with the RSD's sounding 'decent' for the home. Most likely this will just be for a stereo system, so no home theater duty just yet.

And if so... how big of an enclosure? Recommended second chamber for tweeter?

adam
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Honestly I have no idea.

For one, I think you'll want to keep the mid and the tweet close to each other as WV337 has mentioned that the Xover has been designed for the two parts to be mounted within a certain short distance from each other. This shouldn't be a problem with bookshelf stuff.

The next issue I suppose is enclosure size. Most people running RSD65sc sets are running them IB in doors or or what not... I've got my RSD6cs sealed but the enclosure is pretty small compared to a bookshelf box. I wonder if increasing the air space is a good or a bad thing.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i will look into this for you, but keep in mind that they aren't shielded either if you are planning on putting them near a TV
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

they have a Q around .55 so they should be so so...

My guess is they will sound not so good tho unless you put them in the wall.

Personal If I were you Id pick up some Dayton Reference, Seas Standars, or Peerless HDS drivers. Then give madisound a call, and they will make you a passive xover designed on linear X for around $50. SO your looking at about $300 that route and will have a lot better performance then the RSds in the home.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
thehardknoxlife

Post by thehardknoxlife »

Or an even cheaper route. Go to your local Best Buy and pick a set of the Insignia NS-B2111 bookshelf speakers. For what they cost you can't go wrong.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

thehardknoxlife wrote:Or an even cheaper route. Go to your local Best Buy and pick a set of the Insignia NS-B2111 bookshelf speakers. For what they cost you can't go wrong.
Great idea and to go further add some deading and sound proof material to the inside of it they actually will sound great for the $
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?