My first cap job

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
JK

My first cap job

Post by JK »

Well! I just got another sofa in #55. I need the caps done so I don't burn up another amp.. Eric sent me Picts some time back of how to do a cap job.. I'm going for it.. I'm over waiting on this truck to be done and want to see it finished.. Is there anything I should worry about?
joerg
SOFA-KING

Re: My first cap job

Post by joerg »

JK wrote:Well! I just got another sofa in #55. I need the caps done so I don't burn up another amp.. Eric sent me Picts some time back of how to do a cap job.. I'm going for it.. I'm over waiting on this truck to be done and want to see it finished.. Is there anything I should worry about?

SOFAS 55 or FAS 55?
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
finbar

Post by finbar »

Eric's tutorial as well as Stipud's really helped me out. Eric's recommendation to use the Chip quik de-soldering kit was right on, it made removing the old caps very easy with no via damage.
I took before photos to record the orientation of parts to be replaced.
Good luck with the re-cap.
:)
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I was able to do it with a Radio Shack 30watt iron using chip-quick. For better results, a 50-60watt would be best and you won't need so much chip-quick aside from cleaning the vias after removal. A good flux is also a must to get the solder wick to work quickly. I hated using the wick until I accidentally used flux when cleaning up a solder joint. Now, I use so much flux I spend almost as much time cleaning after I am done as I did soldering the caps in.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

personally for removing solder I prefer to have the suction removers with the bulb built into the iron. For me it always made quick/easy clean ups and didn't need to soak the unit in as much heat either. They all work though, to each his own.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
JK

Post by JK »

I know there are several post on caps, but I need to order some now.. Will someone please tell me whAt caps to order. Thanks!!

It's a SOFA joerg.. #55. I got the franked 230 as well and the 406
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

JK wrote:I know there are several post on caps, but I need to order some now.. Will someone please tell me whAt caps to order. Thanks!!

It's a SOFA joerg.. #55. I got the franked 230 as well and the 406
Buy yourself a digital micrometer off ebay for next to nothing. Then you won't have to ask in the future on any amp what size caps........you'll also be able to determine what is the max size you can stick in. Usually most amps allow you to go taller or wider or both.......this allows you stick in better replacements.
JK

Post by JK »

Thanks!!! ^^^^^^ I'm not all that smart like you buddy... I love advice.. I'd rather be told whT to do and whT parts to use. As we all know there's better ways to go and better parts to use.. I personally would not know what caps are better than others.... I'm going to pm Eric... I'm sure he will tell me what caps to order... I'm glad the amp has arrived. I got my original FRANK back (the one I took to randy house) from Eric. After I do the caps I should be good...