coaxial vs seperates

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
BigDaddy

coaxial vs seperates

Post by BigDaddy »

I am looking at 2 sets of speakers for rear fill in my truck. I know rear fill sucks but for some reason I just need to have them back there. I have a set of rsd65cs on the way for the front and I'm looking at either rsd 5 1/4" coaxials or seperates for the back. They are about the same price on Ebay.

Will the seperates sound better since they have an xover or are they going to be exactly the same?

Thanks
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

the coaxs should be good enough since its just for rearfill application
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

^^As the all watching EYE said^^ coaxes should be fine, don't worry about amplifying the signal to them just use HU power.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

what is powering them? the separates loose power through the passive crossover, so if you are giving them deck power, the coaxs will likly sound better as they will be seeing a little more power.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Yeah Bfowlers right about the coaxes seeing more power, if you have an amp, I would just amp the comps in the front and run the rear coaxes off deck power, that way it will truly sound like rear fill. If your coaxes are overpowering your comps, there will be no imaging at all...unless your ok with that.

When I run speakers, I always amp the front comps and run the rears off the deck. A lot of higher end decks also allow you to turn off the rear speakers if you desire so I usually only turn them on if people are riding w me. I love to picture the music in front of me. In fact I don't like it when I can't :) . But thats only me, it's ur preference.
Rides History-www.cardomain.com/id/HotColt22

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy »

The only reason I'm using rear fill is because I have a clarion processor that I want to play with. It needs the rear fill for the time delay and things. I may remove it completely after I'm bored with it. As for powering them, I will be using an MS250 on the rear fill. Turned way down of course. The front will be run off of an MS275. All I have to use for subs is another MS275. Hopefully it will power a couple of 8's well enough.

The seperates are actually $10 cheaper on Ebay but I'm not sure if I can hide them under the speaker covers. If theres no real difference then if I can fit the seperates I'll go for those. If not I won't be too worried about using coaxials.

Thanks.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Yeah the past two clarion decks I have had had built in Dolby Pro Logic 2 processing which was fun to play with. My Pioneer has dolby digital and I also have it time aligned and delayed and everything for when I watch a dvd but I like that it allows me to turn the center channel and rears off for reg listening and actually the subs which is good for tuning the system.

One of my favorite things is a high end headunit with many features to play with : ).
Rides History-www.cardomain.com/id/HotColt22

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy »

Well seperates it is. I think I can hide them under the stock cover. I guess for $39 I can't really go wrong.