Dls a4/a6

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Dls a4/a6

Post by Mackenzie »

The internals look interesting. Any comments on the design vs some of pg amps? Discuss..

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/DLS_A4/

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/DLS_A6/
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

The second one kinda reminds me of old schools soundstream, only more stuff
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

vin78 wrote:The second one kinda reminds me of old schools soundstream, only more stuff
i agree with vin on this...
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Never seen so many capacitors scattered around like that... :lol:

Usually they're grouped together somewhat...
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

any more comments on the build?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

get the a3 besides that those amps look like there all over the place
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Thumper88 wrote:Never seen so many capacitors scattered around like that... :lol:

Usually they're grouped together somewhat...

Don't worry about the spread out caps. it actually does not matter where they are as long as they are there. I see brown 105 degree C Nichicons. Thats a great start over many of its competitors.

The assembly was taken from SoundStream all the way back to the D series up till now.
I can't see the power devices, perhaps their Darlingtons? The Power supply uses the same type and style toroids I see in other amps. the Ceramic emitter resistors are fairly standard.

The amp uses both thru-hole and SMD technology, so its a up to date design like the larger Ti series amps. It has good cosmetics. I would be interested in testing it and looking at it closer before making any stronger statements about its character, but on the surface it looks a lot better than most amps I see everyday.

I would say that it looks to be built to replace the Ref and Rub lines of SoundStream since you can't really get those type amps anymore :(

All in all a Nice looking amp C :)
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Those look like some nice amps. I especially like the symmetry of the design, and the mirror image circuitry on the 4-channel.

Lots of caps all over is fine by me, as it puts the reserve power closest to what is demanding it.

I don’t much care for the cheap terminals, or the exposed blade fuses. Every amp with fuses like that seems to fall short on something. Multiple exposed fuses is often a hallmark of a flea market amp.

I like the Soundstream style device clamping. That has always been nice in my opinion, as it puts the devices closer to their sources and outputs, instead of forcing a bunch of extra tracing to get to the devices on the side or end of a board.