6.5" Zero point comps

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Bchester6

6.5" Zero point comps

Post by Bchester6 »

Anyone familiar with these? I found some locally for sale and was contemplating it. Funny enough, there isn't a whole lot out there on these and reviews are even more sparse. Kinda hard to find comps? Holler if you know something I should. :clap:
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Re: 6.5" Zero point comps

Post by itchnertamatoa »

they're crap ... sell them to me ...
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

ah, this would be the time huh?

I worked at a store that sold pg for 6 yrs, and Never got to install a set as we had them mounted next to ID speakers in the sound board. There was no comparison between the two and honestly the alpines we had sounded better imo. You would play them once, then move on and I never had a customer that liked the sound of them enough to try them out.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

were the zero points the ones made by Morel or were those something else? was there a Ti set made by Morel?
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
(2) RSdC 102 10" Subwoofers - Sold
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

those were the Ti elite. The zero points were made by pg IIRC
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

ttocs wrote:ah, this would be the time huh?

I worked at a store that sold pg for 6 yrs, and Never got to install a set as we had them mounted next to ID speakers in the sound board. There was no comparison between the two and honestly the alpines we had sounded better imo. You would play them once, then move on and I never had a customer that liked the sound of them enough to try them out.
I think I can get them for real cheap from the guy. If me no like, some lucky member on these forums will be a proud owner of these.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

I'll take em if you no likey!!!
LMK
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

ttocs wrote:ah, this would be the time huh?

Those Alpines sound good on a board but shit in a car. Having heard both, Zeropoints are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the early alpines were crap agreed but they made some changes that just really made them sound better then the zero points did. MAybe they needed to be in a car but with an A-B comparison on the board, well the numbers sold spoke for themselfs... We sold the crap outta everything else PG but could not give those away when we had ID. PG has always been good at amps and processors, perty damn good with subs and suck but with speakers I think the best thing they ever did was contract with morel to make the best speakers pg ever put out. Even the cross overs in the Zero points just feels a little cheap, plastic containers on a set of componants that costed what they did was just funny/stupid. For that price range the ID or diamond audio speakers/cross overs just put them to shame in both build quality and SQ.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i'm not sure how the sound room was set up, but the zeropoints, especially the tweets were made for off axis listening. that might have had something to do with it.

also, they were super over priced in their day. they are sorta like JL gear is now :) they are perfectly good drivers....but if you paid retail...you got taken :)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that could easil make a difference but I think the woofer is what was really lacking. They were a paper cone too right? As good as a paper speaker can sound I would never want to put one in a door if I wanted it to last. But yea, paper speakers, plastic cross overs in a price range where diamons had a SUPER nice machined AL x-over and just an overall better build quality. I certainly do not mind paying a preimium for a premium speaker, but when you hold of listen to that premium speaker I want to forget what I paid for it. Looking at those I just could never justify the price.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

I'll just try'em out and see what happens..If they deserve to stay, they will. Recently, I switched out my "old reliable" sub for the first time in years and it stayed so maybe change is in the air again. :? The never-ending audio evolution continues... I should of just picked up tennis instead :(
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Stryker wrote:I'll take em if you no likey!!!
LMK
If Stryker doesn't take 'em :hmm: ...I will if they're in good condition, lmk either way. :thumbs:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

So I went and picked 'em up today and it turns out they are the 5 inch model instead but I went ahead with it anyways. Pretty decent shape, although the crossover covers have been quite worn but who really cares because those are usually stuffed in a dark hidden area of the vehicle. Anyways, I look over in the corner of the garage and the guy had a barely used M44 with original box and papers... Did I mention he HAD a M44? :D Daddy's got a new baby!!! Just gotta to find somewhere to hide it so wifey can't find it. 8)
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

have you opened up the x-over yet? I thought about it later but it is common for people to thow the in the bottom of the doors where they rust and corrode. Always check them out if you buy them used as people just do not know how much water get in their doors...
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

No corrosion, in fact the terminals are somewhat immaculate. It's just the plastic x-over covers that have seen better days. I suppose finding replacements would be damn near impossible...?