Shipping a SOFAS in crate.....hmmmm

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Audiophiliac

Shipping a SOFAS in crate.....hmmmm

Post by Audiophiliac »

This will mean something to at least one other person here (you know who you are), but if you were to own a Son of Frank and decided to sell it, how would you ship it? It is in the wooden crate with the straw and all the goodies...the crate has seen better days...the P.O. sent it from FL to ID through USPS with just the crate (address written with sharpie).

Would you...

A) Mend the crate enough to make the journey and attach a shipping label somehow (or write it in sharpie)?

B) Build another crate to put the existing crate into?

C) Screw some additional panels around the crate and ship it? (leaving some non-factory screw holes in the original crate)

D) Make a sturdy cardboard box by just taping cardboard panels around the entire crate in several layers?

I like D because its the easiest and cheapest and will work....but if you were the recipient, would you prefer something different? (chime in you)

It will be traveling UPS if that means anything to anyone. hehe
Attachments
DSC00494.JPG
DSC00494.JPG (588.28 KiB) Viewed 7505 times
DSC00661.JPG
DSC00661.JPG (589.85 KiB) Viewed 7505 times
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

I choose "D" too
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Either B or D, then again I could just come pick that up from you and then you would not have to worry about it anymore! :wink: :lol:
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

B and D....build a wooden box around the crate...just frame work, not actually screwing into the crate itself. then cover it with cardboard.
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

Please allow the shipping master to chime in here …

1. Ok first make a crate that would permit you to slide the old crate into it new crate should be made of at the very least plywood with 2x1 as your frame work.
2. Make a corrugated card board box that would slip into the original crate thus providing you a liner of sorts for the next step.
3. Find someone that has an instapak hot foam machine and use it to pack the amp in the liner box, then close all boxes and crates and send.

Conclusion : crate in a crate in a box amp protection is via injected foam.

Ask anyone that has ever bought any gear from me if how damn near bullet proof my methods are.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

I think you might be onto something there Mastiff. I dont know who has an instapak, but what if I built my outer crate with 1" of clearance, and stuff some 2" heavy foam on all 6 sides? This would accomplish the same thing, yes? :) I will work on this over the next week or so and see what I can come up with.
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

I wish you were close to me as i would just pack them up for you but you live in spud land and i live in fried chicken ville....

you could use 2 part foam as a instapak subtution just remember that stuff does get every where so bag the amp up and make sure its sealed before foaming.

instapak is usaly only used by big MFG's like PG , Airlines ...ect

http://www.sealedair.com/instapak_home.htm
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

parts express also uses it
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

hence the above statment
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

just thought I'd put that out there