Crossover points

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
tsonka

Crossover points

Post by tsonka »

I have been driving around listening to just my componets and my 200.2 for a week now while I have been waiting on my other sub to get here. Been making it a point to listen to music such as my Telarc CD's which are recorded at high quality and some CD's that have higher recording levels.

Once I put everything together my 200.2 is goign to be a pain in the ass to access so I wanna make sure Im happy with the crossover points before I burry it. Im not concerned with the gain, its at minimum and I adjust my gains on my EQ30.

My question is I have my crossover point set at 166hz. I found out that about 75% of the time the 117-137hz point worked well. On some CD's at a listening level that was kinda high but still within the range of what I would listen to a times, the componets did not like the lower tones bu turning up my crossover another 2 clicks helped a bit.

On paper my subs have a frequency responce of 25-500 and on the chart 150hz is just on the downside of the peak, but doesnt a crossover point of 166hz sound kinda high?

I know bout the only thing you can do is try it and see how it sounds but I dont have my other sub yet so I cant
Have switched to Home Audio:

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
Klipsch Refrence II 5.1 set up
Capital_M
Baby on Board

Post by Capital_M »

a subwoofer should produced the sub bass, < 80hz. Thats what its ment for. If you wanna run your comps that high you should probobly consider a 3way set up
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

Thats what I felt also

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

tsonka wrote:but doesnt a crossover point of 166hz sound kinda high?
That sounds very high. What comps are you using? I have my comps crossed down to 63Hz I know that's low but your comps should be able to cross lower then 166Hz. Try around 75-90 range.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Yea...my CDTs are crossed around 50Hz...since I still need to install my Xenon amp/s, the current amp just can't push the sub.
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

I gave a set of polk db series 6.5" ................ Dont get me wrong they sound good and Id probably never notice it with subs .. Ive never been a fan of tehse subs but been too lazy to get rid of em

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

The only problem is that you may have a gap of unplayable frequencies. Play with it (the speakers that is :shock: ) and set it to what sounds best to you. You may or may not like the adjustments, but it's worth trying to get all you can you out of the comps.
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

Ive been thinking................ I never thought that it might be resonation<sp> of the door and door panel

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9