BASS CUBE and ported boxes.

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Blad09

BASS CUBE and ported boxes.

Post by Blad09 »

Just curious if anyone is using their CUBE on the wide Q setting with a ported box, manual says to set to narrow Q and tracking ss filter, but mine sounds way better set up as if it were a sealed system ( wide Q and fixed subsonic) Is this gonna hurt anything if I leave it? I wouldn't think so, but like I said just curious! ( I did adjust the filter inside the cube to what I think is about 30hz, box is tuned to about 38hz)
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Re: BASS CUBE and ported boxes.

Post by dedlyjedly »

What frequency would you approximate you're boosting at? You should probably be good to go with the fixed frequency subsonic filter and I would imagine for everyday listening it would sound best that way given your box tuning. The tracking subsonic option really becomes beneficial when you're boosting at higher frequencies for spl purposes.
Blad09

Post by Blad09 »

Most of the time I seem to have the frequency dial at about 11:00, probably about 50hz? I do adjust it with each song though. The way I look at it is, what's the difference between the subsonic fixed on the cube and a ss built in to an amp, right? Same thing really. Just wasn't sure if it HAD to be set on tracking filter and narrow Q for ported boxes. It always helps when u hear from other ppl that somethin is okay to do! Thanks :D
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

No, it doesn't HAVE to be set as tracking. I have mine set at fixed and I run ported. Though your SSF I feel is set to low still for your box. I know it's not easy to set for a specific freq, but I'd aim a bit higher at ~35-37Hz.

Give this a read if you haven't yet.

http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Manua ... ecrets.pdf
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
Blad09

Post by Blad09 »

I have full view of the sub from drivers seat (it's in a 98 explorer) and have yet to see or hear any unloading. The sub barely even moves really. Kind of embarrassed to admit it, but its a single 10'' Sony explode :oops: in a box built to DD specs and it sound really good for what it is (about 250 rms). I pulled my other gear out as the exploder may do just that soon, explode!! I just couldn't handle having no sub bass so I threw the 10 in and was actually surprised, it almost keeps up with two 10'' Pioneers (sealed) that were in it before. Anyways, enough ramblin. Future plans (along with a new ride) include everything in my signature. Thanks for replies, I am gonna leave the filter fixed and q wide for the time being.