Really odd..

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Really odd..

Post by ydnap »

So the other day I finally ended that 0awg ground cable that scott (R.I.P.P) (rest in phoenix phorum) send me.

I didnt notice before but the actual ground cable running from the battery cable to the chassis was like 10awg, hair wire !

Well since adding the 0awg I have noted some strange activity, namely.

My car starts faster with less chug from the alt.

My system is LOUD, alot louder than before, and now alot of it distorts.

The bass is harder and heavier.

So does this mean that I have to adjust all my gains? Oh, I also noticed that the whine from the alternator that I chased for a year has now gone.
If you're going through hell keep going

Winston Churchill

"this is the world's most powerfulest high's amp."

Some dumb cunt.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

wait wait....so are saying that when you don't cut corners it makes things function like they are supposed to? popycock!!!!

maybe this new learning could be applied to other areas! (tuning your car :wink: )

you are likly getting quite a bit more current to your amps now, so the same amount of input voltage is probibly pushing them into clipping.
time to reset the gains
Last edited by Bfowler on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Sounds like you found a major bottleneck and cleared it up.
Boomshackalacka
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Amazing ! :)
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

Yeah Ill have to take out the active and set the gains.. Thats the only bummer with that as theyre all on the top of it so you need to remove it to set them.

No problemo tho :)

My car's wires are all 4awg, I never realised the 10awg one was to the ground in honesty, had I have realised that I would have switched it ages ago. I thought the 4 awg coming off the neg was the chassis ground and hence thought "well I aint pissing around with all that right now 'cos my amp cables are 4awg"

Plus I wasnt sure how youre supposed to solder on the ends, I know that its impossible to heat up 0awg enough using a solder iron and I dont have a torch..In the end I used the gas cooker burner lol.

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Hi Pandy,
I crimp then flux lightly, then solder all my power connections. crimping is OK if you have those 36 inch crimper's that apply 5 tons pressure on the crimp, but even then I feel soldering is the best. it seals the connection from moisture and corrosion, especially if you shrink sleeve it just after.

Oh they make shrink with epoxy on the inside if you want to seal them right. I hear if you contact the maker of the shrink they will send you samples for free , just a though as I know how you like to do things right when you get going. :wink: :)

And a good 150 watt soldering iron will solder those wires it just takes a bit of time for the heat to flow thru the mass. Oh and use gold or platinum connections only the rest are junk pretty much and corrode just by looking at them. best of luck my friend C :)
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

I usually put the wire in and then smack it with a hammer til it's tight, then solder it lol.

Havent had a single failure yet :D

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I use previously mentioned 5 ton crimpers I then use a propane torch to get things nice and hot, then just feed solder in till the connection is full. I however haven't used 4AWG in years I use strictly 1/0 so the soldering iron will not work in my case.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.