do i need an EQ ?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
eyesofra

do i need an EQ ?

Post by eyesofra »

guys,
Do i need an EQ ? Is it a must in a car or only when u've got some unbalanced frequency response in car ??And how do we know that :?:

let me explain whats goin on in my sytem now, its a little long but pls bear with me guys.... :D

The sound is quite enjoyable but what i noticed was that it sounds much better when i hit the " Loud " button on the HU . This is the second HU i'm havin in the system and both has the same effect when the " loud " turns on.

The bass increases a few volumes up when i hit " loud" but the midbass from the front comp seems to boost up with the percussion sounding much controlled and energetic.
The midband just comes out more defined and i can't get to this even if crank up the volume , i get loud sound but not the rich midband sound that that "loud " gives me.

I would leave it turned on but somehow i dont enjoy the treble that seems to become a little sharp and harsh with " loud " on.

Yesterday i plugged in the SLD 44 line driver and after all the setting with DMM and a few hours of burning-in i tried listening to my stereo again .

The result , the treble shrills a little but i think that's because the SLD is still fresh but amazingly the midband was much better as if i turned on the " loud " button , not exactly the same as " loud " but close.

at that point i started do wonder, do i need an EQ ??
am i havin peaks/dips that i need to correct usin an EQ.

Components in the stereo now :

Nakamichi CD-400
rsd250.2
rsd1200.1
rsd65 comps
rsd12"
SLD44

2 pairs - Audioquest Diamonbacks RCA from HU to SLD ( 0.7m )
4channel - Streetwires ZN9 from SLD to amps in trunk ( 5m )
Last edited by eyesofra on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
tsonka

Post by tsonka »

If you can make the sound to where you are 100% pleased with it then no you do not need an EQ, all the loud setting does is boost the high and low freq.

Myself I could not live without my EQ but that is mostly due to poor tweeter placment from my desire to utilize stock speaker locations. If you look at the pic of my EQ settings it is mostly flat except for the high freq which is sloped down to a -12db reduction.
Have switched to Home Audio:

Anthem Statement A5
Integra DHC-9.9
Klipsch Refrence II 5.1 set up
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

tsonka wrote:If you can make the sound to where you are 100% pleased with it then no you do not need an EQ, all the loud setting does is boost the high and low freq.

that makes sense cause only the bass and treble part becomes significantly improved with loud button .
But i think since it boosts the lows, the midband gets boosted too that makes it so nice to listen too.

So would it make sense to actually use an EQ to increase the level of mid frequencies without using the " loud ".

The reason for this as i stated before, i dont enjoy the treble harshness that comes with the " loud " so i need a way to improve that mid without that " loud" .

I would luv to go without an EQ ( more money , more complications :wink: ), but if i need one to rectify the problem then i've got no choice rite.
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

It's better to use an EQ as "loud" usually adds distortion at higher levels. If you're happy w/it and you hear no sound, see no signs of distortion then that's all that matters.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998