Whats the difference in the "ZX" series and the &q

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
gentlejax2

Whats the difference in the "ZX" series and the &q

Post by gentlejax2 »

I asked about the variouse titaniums yesterday....

now I want to know what was difference between the straight ZX line and the Titanium

ie ZX200, ZX400,ZX450..........ZX SERIES

VS

Titanium...any?

I want to know what makes the ZX different or better and why?
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

Zx = gold plated circuit boards

Ti = no gold

Zx = better xover in some peoples opinion

Ti = opposite

Zx = powder coated or painted case better rust resistance

Ti = rust will happen unless it’s a Al version

Zx = sound better in some peoples opinion

Ti = not as good in some peoples opinion

The list goes on and on
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Mastiff wrote:Zx = gold plated circuit boards

Ti = no gold

Zx = better xover in some peoples opinion

Ti = opposite

Zx = powder coated or painted case better rust resistance

Ti = rust will happen unless it’s a Al version

Zx = sound better in some peoples opinion

Ti = not as good in some peoples opinion

The list goes on and on

Zx = standard thru hole electronics

Ti= some thru hole and some SMD <Ti 1000's and 1200 predominately

Zx= gold circuit traces < prevent corrosion>

Ti= No more gold but a coating of brown that was a great solder mask, and a anti-corrosion coating for the electronics traces. I just recently cleaned up a 1200 with water damage, The circuit board held up great. It was like using a toothbrush and cleaner and it was repaired. PG always wanted they circuit boards to hold up. Thats why the gold was used in a engineering sense. We all just thought it was pretty, but it served a purpose for years

Same basic circuitry, but different semi's in the circuit, Basically the Ti is a Evolved ZX amp that grew with current technology and semiconductor advances. Shame about the bad plating on the Ti amps, But I don't blame PG for that. It was the outside contractor that plated them that caused that IMHO.
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

whats the difference power wise? any? quality wise?

I take it the ZX is the more wanted...?
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

gentlejax2 wrote:whats the difference power wise? any? quality wise?

I take it the ZX is the more wanted...?

The Zx were the last issue of the much loved gold circuit boards. The Zx cases being painted could be touched up in a pinch, nothing can be done to the Ti except replacement. The ZX were used in the Reactor and the Octane LE amps.
Some folks don't care for SMD built amps, so the Ti have a few with this engineering inside, none of the ZX amps used SMD build technology. Other than that the different semi devices, which were considered to be better parts by the way. But yes it appears that the ZX amps are more popular with some

Except for cosmetics its pretty much 6 of one and a half dozen of the other, but cosmetics are half the deal with most folks :wink: :)
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The Octane LE is made of two Ti amps, the Ti400 to be exact (or ZX400Ti, same amp).

ZX amps have more output voltage (i.e., more headroom).

I believe they have more power also, but I don't have a powersupply to verify this officially.
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

how does the rsd amps compare to these amps guys ???
rsd250.2/500.4 and rsd1200.1 in particular ... :D
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

are there any problems I need to know about with the titaniums?

Looks like I will have my greedy mits on 2 600.2ti's very very soon.....
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Eric D wrote:The Octane LE is made of two Ti amps, the Ti400 to be exact (or ZX400Ti, same amp).

ZX amps have more output voltage (i.e., more headroom).

I believe they have more power also, but I don't have a powersupply to verify this officially.

This might be why they always cut off from heat related issues also. Something they seem to have been notorious about in their day. I can see why PG would lower the rails, it causes less heat build up.

I do know this on every Zx and Ti amp I work on I upgrade the fan to a 11 blade that has about 25% more air flow over the sink area. the stock 7 blade has about 29 CFM, I use a 11 blade that has about 40 CFM. It seems to help. :)

As for the Octane I was referring to the prototype that JOMA recently sold on e-bay it was built from ZX amps, as they still had the gold boards. I have never had the pleasure of seeing the production amp in person. :(
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Only the prototype Octane LE had ZX350 boards in it. The production unit was ZXTi all the way.

Be careful using a 40CFM fan in a ZX series amp. The fan circuit is not capable of very much current, and any fan much more powerful will burn it up (been there, done that, learned the hard way).

I think the V1 fan draws slightly more current than the V2 fan, so if you stayed close to the spec on the V1 fan, you should not have a problem.

I considered using a micro relay with the ZX fan control circuit, and mounting a very powerful fan in there.