8" subs?, 4 X 6 speakers?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
smgreen20

8" subs?, 4 X 6 speakers?

Post by smgreen20 »

My friend has .55 cf of air space to fit an 8" sub. I've got 2 we're looking at right now.
1 is the Memphis M8
2 is a Bazooka 8"

It's going in a 91 Cyclone behind the driver seat w/a PG RSD300.1 to push what ever sub he gets.

Anyone else have any other suggestions on an 8" or possably a 10" sub that'll sound good. He wants it to fill in the low end, not bust out windows.

Also looking into 4x6 dash/rear panel speakers as well. Powered off of a Alpine HU and we'll be using "caps" to cross them over.

Looking at Infinity Kappas or Memphis Street series. Your suggestions?
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Exile 10" Xtec, there is supposed to be a 12" also.

http://www.exilecaraudio.com/2006/products/subwoofers/
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Pick up dragon's ID 8" from the classifieds... and talk to Brian about a set of RSD 4x6es.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

stipud wrote:Pick up dragon's ID 8" from the classifieds... and talk to Brian about a set of RSD 4x6es.
i concure.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I'm not sure on the mounting depth on the subs you guys mentioned, but he's only got a MAX depth of 4 3/4" for the sub. I'll look into all of those.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i just fit one into a 06 ford ranger single cab with room to spare...
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
lopezi

Post by lopezi »

RE8s require .35 cu. ft. sealed and are pretty darn good.
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

AVICJR wrote:Exile 10" Xtec, there is supposed to be a 12" also.

http://www.exilecaraudio.com/2006/products/subwoofers/
I agree, I have an Exile Xtec 10". I actually haven't listen to it yet, (I have the box made, but my truck's engine is apart and I haven't wired it up to listen the sub). I probably should hook it up to my daily driver's M25 one of these days. Their is more option for shallow 10's then 8's. Single 8's are going to be underwhelming to any bass head.
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

smgreen20 wrote:I'm not sure on the mounting depth on the subs you guys mentioned, but he's only got a MAX depth of 4 3/4" for the sub. I'll look into all of those.
I would try to go less than that because you need some clearance for the sub and the sub to move air so it isn't all absorbed by the back of the seat. As you can probably see the room really necks down behind th eseat about 8-10" of height. I would try for 1" of breathing room. I did my enclosuree with 1/2" Birch in the back, reinforced with braces and fiberglass. If I was going for an 8's I would try the RE8 becuase of its 4" mounting depth. (Exile Xtec 10 is 3.5" BTW)
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Thanks Dave. I'll look into the RE8s.

Install:
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

The local dealer will sell me an RE8 for $65.00 out the door. They state 175 wrms, will they take the 320 from a RSD300.1? If not, what would be the max rms you would think/know they'll take daily? I'l DMM it to that.

Install:
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I like those Errin, but it's the price at which they cost that would through him. I'll bring it up to him. Damn, a 10" w/2" of excursion.

Install:
lopezi

Post by lopezi »

smgreen20 wrote:The local dealer will sell me an RE8 for $65.00 out the door. They state 175 wrms, will they take the 320 from a RSD300.1? If not, what would be the max rms you would think/know they'll take daily? I'l DMM it to that.
I've had a pair of them running off of a Crossfire CFA1000D before. I have the 2 ohm versions of the RE8s and they're still alive, obviously I did not beat the snot out of them, so with judicious use of the "knob" you should be quite fine.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

lopezi wrote:
smgreen20 wrote:The local dealer will sell me an RE8 for $65.00 out the door. They state 175 wrms, will they take the 320 from a RSD300.1? If not, what would be the max rms you would think/know they'll take daily? I'l DMM it to that.
I've had a pair of them running off of a Crossfire CFA1000D before. I have the 2 ohm versions of the RE8s and they're still alive, obviously I did not beat the snot out of them, so with judicious use of the "knob" you should be quite fine.
The manual states that they're dual 4 ohm coils, which, wired in parellel, is 2 ohms. So, do you have dual 2s or 4s?

Install:
lopezi

Post by lopezi »

smgreen20 wrote:
lopezi wrote:
The manual states that they're dual 4 ohm coils, which, wired in parellel, is 2 ohms. So, do you have dual 2s or 4s?
The ones I have I bought several years ago when RE was still a bit of an underground operation in which you ordered direct and did not have a dealer network. At this time they did not have the dual 4 ohm set up that they now have. Mine are actual 2 ohm single coil drivers.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Aweyeght, cool.

Install:
hawaiianbasshead

Post by hawaiianbasshead »

I had the single 2ohm version too, they sucked imo, I'm gonna try the new version and see if it's an improvement.. I have vids on roe of it, back then I liked the eD 9kv2 better (IDv3 wannaB) made by ID I believe but nice subs anyway :)

I've had 06 L7 8"s as well and DD 1008 1st gen, and am supposed to have a pair of 1008a's on the way, but they're allready late :( so we'll see what happens if/when they come, they are a step up from the original DD 8" which I had, it sucked too imo... TC 2+ 8"s romp ported, but won't have the slightest possibility of fitting there, they are like 6 or 6.5" deep, mine were similar to Rl-i 8"s...