Monster amp

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
JK

Monster amp

Post by JK »

I just got a kicker warhorse... Has anyone used this amp before or know much about it bad and good? Please let me know... Thanks!! If you do know. What speakers would be best to use.. I have 6 w7 12's and am using 2 fosgate power 2500's strapped at the moment.. I'm wondering if this amp will be better than what I have...
phoenixgoldman

Re: Monster amp

Post by phoenixgoldman »

[quote="JK"]I just got a kicker warhorse... Has anyone used this amp before or know much about it bad and good? Please let me know... Thanks!! If you do know. What speakers would be best to use.. I have 6 w7 12's and am using 2 fosgate power 2500's strapped at the moment.. I'm wondering if this amp will be better than what I have...[/quot

For that amp I would try the solo x. I went to a show in New Mexico a few weeks back and someone there had a warhorse with 2 solo x 18's and it was deafening
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

A local shop just installed one of those on 6 Kicker woofers (don't know the model). I do know it was an impressive setup. I don't think it did much in the way of SQ, but was great at breaking windows. I think they ran 10 batteries to it, plus 6 or something power cables. All in all a very extreme setup.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

You will certainly need a HO alternator in the 300 amp range and at least 6 batterys if not 8 to give this beast the current it needs.
As well you will need some massive power handling subs.... Would be sick to run a couple or four Digital Designs 9500's with a very sturdy box :wink: built to hit mind numbing/shaking lows You would hit some good numbers I'm sure. If anything, do not skimp on the power accessorys to power this fugger...
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Stryker wrote:You will certainly need a HO alternator in the 300 amp range and at least 6 batterys if not 8 to give this beast the current it needs.
As well you will need some massive power handling subs.... Would be sick to run a couple or four Digital Designs 9500's with a very sturdy box :wink: built to hit mind numbing/shaking lows You would hit some good numbers I'm sure. If anything, do not skimp on the power accessorys to power this fugger...
most cars are regulated from the computer....not sure it would put out over the max the stock alt would ... per the computer...
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

tonym wrote:
Stryker wrote:You will certainly need a HO alternator in the 300 amp range and at least 6 batterys if not 8 to give this beast the current it needs.
most cars are regulated from the computer....not sure it would put out over the max the stock alt would ... per the computer...
My car has no such regulation, I know newer hondas have that sort of issue, if someone is gonna buy an amp like the warhorse they had better do there research first, not sayin JK did not but you can't run something like that on a stock anything.....lots of guys run larger HO alts and have no issues putting out tons of amps to feed there amps.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I don't know if the Warhorse "requires" anything crazy with the power feed too it, unless you plan to use it as intended.

From what I have read, it is very efficient. Well, with its switching design, it probably has low idle current (a few amps). I don't see why someone could not install one with a single 2ga, or even maybe a 4ga power wire and run it to a pair of typical 12in woofers. With the gain set low, you could still get 500-750W out of it for a loud setup, and not need anything over a stock electrical system.

Now before anyone goes nuts on me over my comment, yes I understand this is not the way the amp was intended to be used. Yes I understand you won't be getting 10,000W with it this way.

It is what ever floats your boat. I personally ran a old Rockford Power 500.2 (250W RMS by 2, 1000W mono) in my vehicle long ago with only an 8ga power wire. But, at the time I had it running a set of components and no sub. It was not as intended (an opinion really, I think the bigger the amp on components the better), but it worked great. The components were very loud, and there was little to no voltage drop at the amp.

I have even gone as far as to install amps in people's systems which were not even hooked up. If someone has say 4 matching amps, but really only needs three for their setup, why not install all 4 run fake wires to the one which is not used, and the system looks more impressive? The spare might even come in handy should something fail in one of the other three.

If I had the money to burn I would be fine with installing a Warhorse in my car, and not connecting it too anything. Then use something small like an S series PG amp, or maybe a JL HD hidden in the vehicle to actually run the system.

Just my deranged thoughts...
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ROBSCUSTOMSAPK

Post by ROBSCUSTOMSAPK »

Warhorse requires dual 200+ amp alternators, 8-800 amp batteries, dual 1/0 power from front to back. Be very careful with this amp!!! It can kill you. It uses forklift style plugs on outputs. By no means, touch the outputs of this amp while on. I have a build for this amp and 2- solo x 18's comin up. Amp comes with a DVD training manual and booklet. Pretty serious.
JVC usb/cd h/u
PG ti eq6
4x PG ti6cs
2x Eminence alpha 12"
2x Incriminator Audio 18" Judges
2x Incriminator Audio 3.4
2x Incriminator Audio 40.1

AUTHORIZED PHOENIX GOLD DEALER.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

ROBSCUSTOMSAPK wrote:Warhorse requires dual 200+ amp alternators, 8-800 amp batteries, dual 1/0 power from front to back. Be very careful with this amp!!! It can kill you. It uses forklift style plugs on outputs. By no means, touch the outputs of this amp while on. I have a build for this amp and 2- solo x 18's comin up. Amp comes with a DVD training manual and booklet. Pretty serious.
ya like i said above..... This is a serious piece of audio equipment.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Just as the JBL/Crown amp. Very serious power, could kill you.

The cars computer does not regulate the alternators output, the alts regulator does that. So an aftermarket/HO alt will work.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

eh, its only electrons..........
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

IMO unless your doing a spl paid by the company making gear why bother the weight and cost alone is stupid. I have been in strykers car and for a everyday driver it way to much for me(but still cool)
i could not enjoy more if there was more
also we just had a week of minus 25-40 so not like we can enjoy it all the time in coldary
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

that amp will warm the car up for ya with out the motor running, at least until the batts die....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Lowcountrypsulion

Post by Lowcountrypsulion »

JK wrote:I just got a kicker warhorse... Has anyone used this amp before or know much about it bad and good? Please let me know... Thanks!! If you do know. What speakers would be best to use.. I have 6 w7 12's and am using 2 fosgate power 2500's strapped at the moment.. I'm wondering if this amp will be better than what I have...
Wow! I can safely say my system with an M25 powering one Punch 12 has absolutely nothing in common with your surely-impressive setup. :)
Ride: 1999 Honda Civic Si (Blue; complete, unmodified B16A2)
Source A: Alpine CDA 9884
Source B: Alpine CHA S604 (Circa 1997)
Line Driver: PG PLD-1
Equalizer: PG EQ215
Crossover A: PG AX406A w/LPL44
Crossover B: PG AX204A
Amplifier A: PG M44
Amplifier B: PG M25 Series II
Front Stage: MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" Q-Series Comps (the real German deal; not Maxxsonics)
Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Punch 12
Install: http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19590
lowblueranger

Post by lowblueranger »

It will be much more powerful if fed proper power but the two T2500's are way more efficient. I don't think the JL W7's can handle the maximum power the warhorse is capable of. I'd stick with the RF's unless you switch subs.