help picking out new subs

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
smokeyand thebandit

help picking out new subs

Post by smokeyand thebandit »

Hi guys I was wondering if you could help me choose some new 12" subs for my PG1200.1 amp. I currently am running some 10" shallow mount kickers behind my seats in my truck and they sound alright but I would like some more bass now. I have a ported box for 2 12's and I have already blown 4 mtx thunders that I had laying around. They were single voice coil 4 ohm 300 watts rms max running in parallel. Two only lasted about a week then poof the other two only a couple days. Any way could you help me pick a good match for this amp.
HP = FUN
smokeyand thebandit

Re: help picking out new subs

If it helps this is the box I have for the 12's. thanks
HP = FUN
todd217

Post by todd217 »

what is your budget? do you know what that box is tuned to?
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

I'd say 2 PG Rsdc 12's svc 8 ohms or dvc 4 ohms and call it a day

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

knightrider358 wrote:I'd say 2 PG Rsdc 12's svc 8 ohms or dvc 4 ohms and call it a day

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
If he cant find those maybe look at some SSA Icons.
smokeyand thebandit

I was looking at jl audio w3 but they have a 3ohm rating so i wasnt sure on those. Then at alpine type r with a 2 ohm rating and wireing in series but those subs didnt look very impressive. I have never wired in series before. What is the preferred method of wireing parrallel or series? I was thinking of dual voice coils this time. I was going to run the amp at 2 ohms.
HP = FUN
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

smokeyand thebandit wrote:I was looking at jl audio w3 but they have a 3ohm rating so i wasnt sure on those. Then at alpine type r with a 2 ohm rating and wireing in series but those subs didnt look very impressive. I have never wired in series before. What is the preferred method of wireing parrallel or series? I was thinking of dual voice coils this time. I was going to run the amp at 2 ohms.
Voicecoils can be run in series or parallel, but you should only ever wire woofers in parallel.

And for all intents and purposes, the JL 3 ohm load can be treated like a 4 ohm sub. It's just a nominal rating anyways, and most amps will easily be able to handle the slightly lower impedance.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

how did you get 3ohm on a w3 sub? they are 2ohm or 4ohm subs? the w7 or tw5 sub are the only that are 3ohm subs??
v3 mean the third series of them
http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-subwoofer-drivers-w3v3
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
smokeyand thebandit

Sorry I was looking at the w6 subs @3ohms. But i was wrong on that too, youre right it seems only the w7 is 3ohms. So if i get two dual voice coil subs should i go with 4 or 2 ohms. What is the best way to wire them up so the amp is running @2ohms?
Last edited by smokeyand thebandit on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
HP = FUN
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

smokeyand thebandit wrote:Sorry I was looking at the w6 subs @3ohms. So if i get two dual voice coil subs should i go with 4 or 2 ohms. What is the best way to wire them up so the amp is running @2ohms?

only the old w6 are dual 6ohm
2020 honda accord sport
smokeyand thebandit

So would the dual 4 ohm be best for that amp? Sorry for the mistake and thanks for the help
HP = FUN
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

smokeyand thebandit wrote:So would the dual 4 ohm be best for that amp? Sorry for the mistake and thanks for the help
the new jl are nice but bigger $$$ i would say the RSDC sub sound about the same and less $$ to buy
what kind of sound are you looking for clean sq boomy or just plain loud?
2020 honda accord sport
smokeyand thebandit

Clean and boomy for Rap and house music.
HP = FUN
smokeyand thebandit

Im looking at different wiringdiagrams and it looks like i need the dual 2ohm subs to run the amp at 2 ohms. I need to use a series/parrallel circuit.
HP = FUN
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

smokeyand thebandit wrote:Im looking at different wiringdiagrams and it looks like i need the dual 2ohm subs to run the amp at 2 ohms. I need to use a series/parrallel circuit.
Right you are sir. You will need the dual 2 ohm or single 4 ohm woofers to get the most out of your amp. It will present that 2 ohm load you're looking for when each woofer is wired to 4 ohms and ran parallel together.
Last edited by lukeman269 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

I had one of those bassworx ported boxes before as well, they are tuned pretty high. I would say around 40-44 hz or so.

As for putting new subs into that box, you might want to consider a pair of Boston Acoustics G2 woofers. They handle 300 rms and compare the to JL Audio W3's. They are cheaper too. Since your amp pushes 780 rms at 4 ohms and 1200 at 2 ohms, you could always run the Boston G2's at either load. They come in single 4 or dual 4 ohm configurations.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

lukeman269 wrote:I had one of those bassworx ported boxes before as well, they are tuned pretty high. I would say around 40-44 hz or so.

As for putting new subs into that box, you might want to consider a pair of Boston Acoustics G2 woofers. They handle 300 rms and compare the to JL Audio W3's. They are cheaper too. Since your amp pushes 780 rms at 4 ohms and 1200 at 2 ohms, you could always run the Boston G2's at either load. They come in single 4 or dual 4 ohm configurations.
Why not the Boston G3's? i believe 375 watts rms and a great sub for the price...G5's are even better yet.
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

Bchester6 wrote:
lukeman269 wrote:I had one of those bassworx ported boxes before as well, they are tuned pretty high. I would say around 40-44 hz or so.

Why not the Boston G3's? i believe 375 watts rms and a great sub for the price...G5's are even better yet.
I guess if money isn't an obstacle, G3's are the way to go! I have one in my car right now and love how it sounds.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

Then G3's it is!!! Haha. Seriously though, they aren't that much more and for sure can handle the power.... and then some.
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

[quote="Bchester6"]Then G3's it is!!! Haha. Seriously though, they aren't that much more and for sure can handle the power.... and then some.[/quote

I think they are around 160 a piece now. Yeah and they sound great ported and sealed! I had one in a 2.3 cubic ft box tuned to 36 hz and it pounded, but I got sick of the boomy bass so I built a 1.1 cubic ft sealed for it and it sounds amazing! Just need a bass cube and carpet on the box and I'm set!
Attachments
DSCF2566.JPG
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

smokeyand thebandit wrote:Im looking at different wiringdiagrams and it looks like i need the dual 2ohm subs to run the amp at 2 ohms. I need to use a series/parrallel circuit.

I have 2 brand new 12" RSdC dual 2 ohm subs that I'd be willing to sell. PM or email if interested, I respond to email quicker....

avicjr at earthlink dot net

My Feedback
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

if you want a stupid deal i would sell 2 focal vs 11" subs they need 225 and up and 20 to 40 leter thats .75-1.4 cub

they are super clear let me know
mike

i paid 575 never used them and would sell them for 500 and 1/2 shipping
2020 honda accord sport
doggn8

Post by doggn8 »

In my opinion there is only one company that has truly impressed me in a long long time! FI...FI..FI....! and there made in America!!!!
Solid bass, the shit that makes you feel like you need a facelift after a good pounding... You know what I mean!

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio. ... shopscript