I'm bored, lets talk about M-series amps

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Mr. Wild

I'm bored, lets talk about M-series amps

Post by Mr. Wild »

I read in many places here and elsewhere that some people consider M25 a reference amp. It's not perfect or terribly powerful, but it sounds very neutral. That seems to be the point.

What about the other M-series? They probably have the same amp topology with more power so shouldn't they sound even better? M50 looks like M25 with double the power capability in its power supply.
M44 and M100 have some onboard processing, so that might add some coloration in the signal path.

So why do I "always" find M25 mentioned as a reference and not the other M amps?
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3
Lowcountrypsulion

Re: I'm bored, lets talk about M-series amps

Post by Lowcountrypsulion »

Mr. Wild,

I will definitely talk about M amps with you. I love 'em! Check out my system on the "Installs" page.

I am using an M44 to power my all-original and complete set of MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" comps - each front channel powers a tweeter and each rear channel powers a mid. Then I have the M25 bridged to power the Punch 12.

I am extremely happy with the transparency and power of both amps. In fact, I have the gains on the M44 turned to their absolute minimum settings. On the other hand, I have the gain on the M25 turned to slightly less than 1/2 of it's maximum. Also, I am not using the M44's crossover functions because I have a old AX406A doing the duty.

Another interesting thing I discovered about the M44 is that, if you're using all four channels, you don't need to run interconnects to all four (front and rear) inputs. You only need to run interconnects to the front channels. In other words, you don't need to run interconnects to the rear channels inputs to use the rear channel outputs.

I am not a technically-inclined person and I have not owned dozens of different brands of amps, but I think the transparency and power of the M-series is terrific and I would be hard-pressed to let them go. Plus, I think they look great!

Lowcountry PSU Lion
Ride: 1999 Honda Civic Si (Blue; complete, unmodified B16A2)
Source A: Alpine CDA 9884
Source B: Alpine CHA S604 (Circa 1997)
Line Driver: PG PLD-1
Equalizer: PG EQ215
Crossover A: PG AX406A w/LPL44
Crossover B: PG AX204A
Amplifier A: PG M44
Amplifier B: PG M25 Series II
Front Stage: MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" Q-Series Comps (the real German deal; not Maxxsonics)
Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Punch 12
Install: http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19590
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I am probably the only guy who considers the M25 a reference amp, but I have been using my M25 as a baseline for so long I just keep using it.

The M50 is every bit as good as the M25 but with more power.

I don't think the M100 sounds as good as the M25 or M50, but chances are this is just in my head. The M100 is the exact same design, other than the addition of the crossover, which is defeatable, so it should not matter at that point.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
tonym

Post by tonym »

I like mine so much I have another set in the closet for that rainy day
Mr. Wild

Post by Mr. Wild »

As far as I can tell M-series amps are every bit as high quality as MS-series. MS just has more current capability judging by the size of the power transistors and heat sink.

I've had an M50 driving components for over 3 years and it has given me zero issues. The sound is absolutely neutral and clear. I can't seem to drive it into clipping because my tweeters sound so harsh I can't turn it way up. I listen to heavy rock so most of my records tend to sound harsh and distorted.

My problem is tweeter placement. They are in the corners of window "sails" which act like sound guides amplifying mid to high range frequencies. I'm hoping to find time to change my tweeter install, so I can enjoy every bit of power M50 is capable of.
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

either move them onto the a pillar or go down in the kicks and it should make a huge difference. My mustang has tweeter pods up by the mirrors as well and all I can think to do with the is to maybe mount some switches in them for when the new doors are finished
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.