SLD44?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
df.dima

SLD44?

Post by df.dima »

Hello people, I stumbled upon SLD44 line driver.
Wanted to know if it's any good or should I skip it?

Why do I need it?
Because the gains on my X200.4 are sky-high and i don't really like that (I have read the topic where I think Errin explains that Xenons like high voltage on input). So I thought I'd pick up a line driver to try it out.

My head is clarion drz9255.

What can you tell me about it?
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

It will definitely lower your gains by increasing the voltage from the HU to the amp via your RCA connections. That particular LD puts out a super high voltage. GO FOR IT! It also saves your amp, as your not driving it with the gains up like you have them now.
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Line drivers are nice especially if you have a high noise floor. You can beat the noise issue with drive level. PG amps allow this so as to improve fidelity in the car environment. If you got it use it I say.

It can only hurt if you don't use it correctly C :)
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

1moreamp wrote:Line drivers are nice especially if you have a high noise floor.
What exactly is "high noise floor"? Engine noise/whine bleeding through?
df.dima

Post by df.dima »

okay i'll go for it.
i do have some alt noise, very slight. i can't beat it anymore! argh..

also my noise level isn't great, i can hear the overall shhhh when I crank it up and music is dynamic with peaks and quiets in between.

thaks guys!
df.dima

Post by df.dima »

alright it's on the way.

I was also wondering if there's a line driver from the same SLD line, but for the sub. I'm sure I can buy another one like that, but was just wondering. I can't find any 1-channel SLD one. I know there are other model numbers though, but was just wondering about the same one, but in mono.
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

i dont think there's any 1-channel version of this .... if u need 2-channel then's there's the TLD22 .......though its not the exact spec of the SLD..
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

df.dima wrote:alright it's on the way.

I was also wondering if there's a line driver from the same SLD line, but for the sub. I'm sure I can buy another one like that, but was just wondering. I can't find any 1-channel SLD one. I know there are other model numbers though, but was just wondering about the same one, but in mono.
Does your sub amp only have a one RCA input? You might be able to "Y" it into your sub amp if so. BUT....can someone help confirm this?
df.dima

Post by df.dima »

Sorry I got you all a bit confused. When I said 1ch I mean to say 2-ch. I said 1ch because I always think about sub as mono :)
The sub amp is an X600, so it has two inputs. I'm all good now, figured it out. I can either get a tantrum 2ch line driver, or get a second SLD44. And I will probably get a second one.

Thanks for your help. I'm all covered.
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

There is a TLD66 that has 3 channel inputs. How many amps total are you running. The 66 will allow up to 3 sets of RCA's of line driving.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

sorry i came into this late.

the sld is a line out converter AND a line driver, whereas the tld series is just a line driver.

the tld sounds a little better suited for you as the sld is typically more expensive and you don't need the LOC.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Bfowler wrote:sorry i came into this late.

the sld is a line out converter AND a line driver, whereas the tld series is just a line driver.

the tld sounds a little better suited for you as the sld is typically more expensive and you don't need the LOC.
You may not need the LOC option of the SLD, but as a line driver alone the signal clarity is better than that of the TLD and the signal voltage capability is far greater.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

SLD - < 0.002 THD , 10Hz - 40KHz +/- 0.5db
TLD - 0.02 THD , 20Hz - 20KHz +/-1db

SLD wins on paper too..... :D
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

Yea the SLD is actually a pretty clean and neat little design. I think that THD that you're mentioning there I took at full rated output voltage. It actually is a lil lower than that under I think 8V it was where I measured that. And the SNR was well over 100dB if I remember correctly too. I think even the high level converted stuff was over 100dB but the THD was like an order of magnitude worse.

I wonder if the manual to the SLD44 still has ALL the specs in it or if the marketing department has hacked and slashed it. When I got the info for that manual I was hoping to create a template to be followed... But didn't end up sticking around long enough to try to help it along. But oh well I like where I am better now. Although from the sounds of it PG is becoming a funner place to work again.
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

Also when/if you get one PM me and tell me if they are still using the opaque LED's or if they went to two colored ones. For the longest time they wanted to put two colored LEDs into it and I wanted something that actually matched but just illuminated the different colors. It only adds like a dollar to the cost of the thing to the customer and I think its one of those touches that people appreciate...

Let me know what you think...

Oh and BTW the spec does say up to 11V output but I wouldn't recommend going over the 8V... At 11V you're hitting 1%THD (which is what was used to determine that as the highest output voltage). The THD is introduced due to clipping.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

if by funner, you mean retarded....then you are correct.

welcome back brett, you should make a lil thread about your italy adventures....and you should let paul out of your bag now
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

Bfowler wrote:if by funner, you mean retarded....then you are correct.

welcome back brett, you should make a lil thread about your italy adventures....and you should let paul out of your bag now
At least the new boss is a good guy... Stu was a great guy to work with which is a lot more than I'd say about some of the managers when I was there.

As far as too much BSing on here I doubt I'm around for long. Just had a slower moment between classes and figured I'd drop in.... I start school again today.. Maximizing shareholder wealth. MBA540 Whoohoo!! Thank god its free or I'd not be in school anymore! Also thankfully my Fiance is taking the classes with me...

I get married Sept 15th. Which is just a week pas the end date of this class. UG! Oh well at least by the time we're done we'll have 5 college degrees between the two of us.
df.dima

Post by df.dima »

Bfowler wrote:sorry i came into this late.

i'm not too worried about money here. I paid about $50US shipped for SLD (bought it within Canada). this is actually quite a bit better than any of the prices I've seen for TLD66 ($100-$120CAD I think).
I see TLD66 on ebay for 50 + 10 shipping, in US$, that would come to about $80-90CAD in the end with taxes and everything...
TLD66 would technically suit me better... but I didn't want to deal with wait times etc...

am am running an x200.4 and a x600.1. I would eventually like to run a line driver for 600.1 too, but the gain on it isn't as up as on 200.4. I was shocked at the level I had to set to make my fronts sing... almost all the way up. That's bothersome! :shock: :)

but hey, I'm thinking of switching out the amps in near future maybe. I don't know if I'm crazy or not, xenons seem to be great amps, but they are a bit too big.
on the other hand, I would need quite a bit of power.
I'd like 100x2 @8ohms to my midbass, about 50-70x2 @8ohms for my midranges and 50-100x2 @4ohms for my tweeters. Plus about 600w to my w7... So you get the idea... I get away with 3 amps now, otherwise I'd need 3 amps that produce as much power, or 4 amps for each piece.

damn this hobby, I was about to stop switching the equipment. but that's a totally different topic. :D
BH wrote: I get married Sept 15th. Which is just a week pas the end date of this class. UG! Oh well at least by the time we're done we'll have 5 college degrees between the two of us.
I'm already married and we don't even have one degree between the two of us! :D