zx 500 2ohm bridged

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
todd131

zx 500 2ohm bridged

Post by todd131 »

hi!

I want to run my zx500 at 2 ohm bridged. i know i need to put an external fuse in the distro block for it however, i am wondering what the proper size would be? additionally, i know i should have the gain low but should it be all the way down or should i start at like 1/4 and back it off if i blow fuses?

any assistance would really help. in doing my research i found

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car ... apped.html

AND

http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12387&p=132687

Thanks!

todd
kg1961
Got wood?

Re: zx 500 2ohm bridged

Post by kg1961 »

Last edited by kg1961 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

I never ran a fuse by the amp using my ZXTi, and it was bridged at 2ohm, was like that for years and I had gain at half you'll be fine.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

kg1961 wrote:manual said @full power and peak it would need a 80amp fuse. if your poping that i would say you driving the amp into clipping
That's not quite how I read the manual.

Yes it says maximum peak current draw can be 80A, but still gives a recommended fuse size of 50A. The peak draw should be for such a short time that the fuse ought to handle it. Something like an AFS / midi fuse will usually handle twice its continuous rating for over a second, maybe more, so should be fine for a few milliseconds of musical peak.

As I say, that's just from reading the manual, not from personal experience (yet) :)
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The ZX500 does not have an internal fuse. If you have only the one ZX500 in your stereo, and are using your head unit for other speakers for example, then you can run a 50A fuse under the hood near the battery and be fine.

The problem arises if you run more than one amplifier. If you use a ZX450 and ZX500 together, and have an 80A fuse under the hood, but none back near the ZX500, then you can kill the ZX500 if you drive it too hard. The ZX450 has an internal fuse which will protect itself, but the ZX500 would only be protected by the 80A under the hood, and that is too much. Things get worse the larger you go under the hood. For example, I ran a 200A circuit breaker under the hood of my vehicle, but had a 50A fuse in a distribution block for my ZX500.

You can run the ZX500 at 2 ohms mono, but you need to stick with the 50A fuse. If you pop the fuse, then you need to turn the gain down, NOT put in a bigger fuse. At 2 ohms mono with greater than 50A for your fuse, you will kill the amplifier (I have repaired more than a few ZX500s which were damaged this way).
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

Eric D wrote:For example, I ran a 200A circuit breaker under the hood of my vehicle, but had a 50A fuse in a distribution block for my ZX500.
Similar here. I have a 150A fuse up front near the battery (which I may up to a 200A if needed), then the distribution block near the amps has a 50A for the ZX500, 50A for the ZX450, and a pair of 40A's, one for each of the ZX350's.
Starunit10

Post by Starunit10 »

I have 08 charger, battery is in the trunk (or boot) 3 -4 ft away from amps. was planning to run 0 from batt to distro and fuse out the distro, no fuse at batt, Why do you fuse at the battery? I know for the cars and batt protection. Is it because the power wire usually runs front to back , through firewalls,under seats , and past all sort of sharp edges that could cut and short the wire after time?

I think I may not need it because of the short distance and lack of the above hazards. whats the opinion?
Collection Growing..........
todd131

Post by todd131 »

thank you for all of the replies! I should've been more clear regarding my system so far. the zx500 will be running 1 sub @ 2ohms. i also have an audison 4.300 running my front speakers. there is a distro block installed that can handle up to 4 amps. i will put a 50A fuse where the zx500 is being powered.

one more question...i will be upgrading my power wire to 1/0 (already bought wire just need the time) currently i have 4gauge running from battery to distro block. will that be sufficient to run the 2 amps in the short term? i will be able to run 1/0 wire next weekend.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

upgrading the power wire from 4 to 1 gauge is indeed a right thing. you never can go wrong !!!!!

having a second battery in the back and even a 1F cap or more close to the amps will make a big difference....

I would listen good to the advice of the 50 A fuse. Don't go that far until you damage the amp !!!

But if you're electrical system is powerful enough to keep the voltage on the amps at 14.4 V or somewhat close to that,

will be also an important key to succes. the current will be much more at 12 V then at 14.4 V.

i had a zx450,zx350 and a zx500 in my car for more then 10 years, and running the zx500 at 2 ohms brigded. no problem !!

If i can just suggest you one thing you maybe have to know about the zx amps, is, after some years they need a checkup to

put the dc offset and bias back good. After 4-5 years my amps started to play less powerful, you could hear it..... when i got

them back from service they played much much better then before....

I would just suggest you to maybe send your amp one time to Eric D, let him do a checkup, new caps and setting dcoffset/bias back

good , and you will definitly hear the difference in performance and power, believe me !!!

This last one is up to you.....everybody has to make his own descisions....
Drock

zx 500 2ohm bridged

Post by Drock »

I had problems with my ti800.1 shutting down/thermal protection constantly, or blowing the 80 amp fuse at the battery. I had a 5ga power cable at the time. As soon as I ran a 2/0 cable to a dist block everything works great. Amp has never shut down or blown a fuse since. I'll be adding a second ti800.1 very soon.