I got more clear! Installed the Xenon 200.4!

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Pillow

I got more clear! Installed the Xenon 200.4!

Post by Pillow »

As friend of mine used to say to his wife when his very high end home stereo was obscenely loud... "It's not loud. It's more clear."

Last night I installed a clean used Xenon 200.4 that I purchased from a phellow phorum member here and removed the ZX450. The ZX450 was a great amp, but of course we all need more powa! Ok, really the ZX450 does a great job in the current setup driving a 6.5 component set, but I plan on upgrading the doors to a 3 way setup and figured the extra power couldn't hurt. :)

I dialed in the x200.4 using the Focal demo discs (link off of DIYMA is priceless!). I started at the normal 25% gain... Went up to 50%... Then to an unheard of level 75% gain before finally finding my happy place at about 3/4 HU volume. Even at this level of phucking loud there was no audible distortion and the front stage actually kept up with the subwoofer for once!

My listening impressions are that the Xenon is just as clear as the ZX450 at moderate sound levels, but really shines with the extra power at elevated volume levels. The fan is completely inaudible once the initial boot up is complete.

From an installation point of view, this amp is huge! I really like the rubber boots for the wires, they make the installation look clean and professional IMO. If you have the real estate, this is a monster you should consider trying out as this is STILL one of the beefiest amps out there period. I only fused it at 100A, but can go up to 120A... I doubt off music that this will matter.

All in all, I am happy... Give me a few weeks to rebuild the doors and we should have some magic. :)
2003 Saab 9-3 Vector: Faital, Dayton, JBL,+ DIY mixed up mess
1979 Porsche SC: Kenwood X-994, X100.2, RSd6.5cs
1971 Chevy C-10: wind noise
Pillow

Re: I got more clear! Installed the Xenon 200.4!

Post by Pillow »

http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/Car%20Au ... index.html

A review and gut shots are always welcome! Thanks to our own Dr Fosgate :)
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Are you bridging the front and rears to make 2 channels? Glad you like the Xenon, they get a bad rap but I like them.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Glad to hear you are enjoying it, I've always loved the xenon gear.

If only they were smaller........
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

The X200.4 is a great amp and one of my favorites! Out of my whole stockpile of PG amps, it's the only one I'm using at the moment. Glad to hear you're enjoying yours too!
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

Just to clarify, as for setup, I am using each of the 4 channels to drive a set of 6.5" component sets. Granted the rears are turned down to almost nothing unless I have passengers in the middle or rear rows (Suburban).

... I should probably take some pictures!