Need ideas for "nostalgia" build

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

I have wanted to do this for a long time and I think I am finally going to pull the trigger. Build a system using the stuff I always drooled over back in the 90's when I was getting into car audio but could not afford. :)

The head unit will be an Alpine CDA-7939.
I may get a PRA-H400...but am thinking EQ-215ix instead.
Amp(s) will likely be either a MS275/MPS2240 combo or a single ZX450.
I already have some RF Audiophile v.2 12" subs. I will either use 2 or 3 of them depending on what amps I use.

Only thing left to decide is speakers. I would love to find a set of the MB Quart QM328.21-KC 3-ways that were designed for my MKIII VW GTI. 6.5s in the door, 4+1 in the dash. But I am not sure I would like the tweeter. I am partial to soft domes. I love the Exile XT65 I have now. They are slightly better than the ID CXS62 I had before. I remember really liking the Boston Pros from that era. If I can find a set, that might be it. Other speakers I would love to try are the KEF UNI-Q and the ADS...not sure which set was top of the line back then...346? Any ideas for speakers that would match this system?
Lowcountrypsulion

Re: Need ideas for "nostalgia" build

Post by Lowcountrypsulion »

Audiophiliac,

If you want a nostalgia system, checkout my collection and install. (Copy and paste the link at the bottom of my signature into the address bar.) I built it last summer after beginning my collection in 2009 when I purchased the M44. Since then I have acquired a virtually perfect M25, a flawless AX204A, a fair AX406A, a decent EQ215, a very nice PLD-1, and a like-new set of MB Quart QSD 216 Q-Series 6 1/2" comps - made in Germany, not by Maxxsonics. I also am using an OLD Alpine CHA 601 changer which I bought brand new in 1997.

What I would really love to do is replace the three-year-old Alpine CD player with an extremely old-school Alpine 7909, and the rather new RF Punch 12 with an period-correct PG XMAX12 or and old-school JL 12W4. I'd also like to get another M44 so I could have 10 output channels to utilize both of my active crossovers. But that would require more speakers.

I used to really be into PPI back in the mid 90s, but was out of the hobby between 2000 and 2009.

Have a good one,

LowcountryLion
Ride: 1999 Honda Civic Si (Blue; complete, unmodified B16A2)
Source A: Alpine CDA 9884
Source B: Alpine CHA S604 (Circa 1997)
Line Driver: PG PLD-1
Equalizer: PG EQ215
Crossover A: PG AX406A w/LPL44
Crossover B: PG AX204A
Amplifier A: PG M44
Amplifier B: PG M25 Series II
Front Stage: MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" Q-Series Comps (the real German deal; not Maxxsonics)
Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Punch 12
Install: http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19590
todd217

Post by todd217 »

If I ever get a car or suv that has room I'm going use 4 old c12 kickers and comps running though a vxr powered by a little m25 only.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I would skip the RF subs.

I know that back in the day those subs had a pretty big fan base. However, having worked for Rockford, I discovered they had some of the highest return rates in all of RF product history.

They are some of the first subs RF used rubber surrounds on, and the glues they had were not advanced enough (really just a lack of experience on RF's part with the materials at the time). It is not really a matter of if your speakers will fall apart, it is when. Much like old PG amps have capacitor problems, these woofers are plagued with their own issues.

They make better collectors items than they do actual installed and operating equipment.

If you want old, and you want RF, I think the Punch Pros, or even the newer Power woofers (from 1996 or 1997 I think) are a great choice. These woofers were marketed to bass heads, but really are great sounding subs as well, when used in the proper enclosure.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
bigdwiz

Post by bigdwiz »

I have a set of the v2 RF AUDIOphile 12" subs (RFA-812's I believe) and they sound fantastic. Wouldn't hesitate using them in retro system at all. They are excellent SQ subs.
Old School Car Audio Amp Tests and More:
http://www.youtube.com/BigDWiz

Also see my old school website for tests, reviews and more;
http://www.oldschoolstereo.com