FINALLY getting around to installing something!

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Audiophiliac

FINALLY getting around to installing something!

Post by Audiophiliac »

When I bought my current car, a '95 VW GTI VR6, my plan was always to do a system in it. Of course, getting married, having kids, working, and other priorities took over and it has been 3 years. I finally bought a head unit and installed some speakers this summer because I had to do some long trips and could not have handled it otherwise. But now I finally have all the stuff I need and am even somewhat motivated. Mainly because my bro in law went and bought me an enclosure for some subs I have laying around. It was a Christmas gift so I felt obligated to use it. Cheesy I know....but whatever. So here is what I have. I am glad I have been "patient" acquiring this stuff because most of it I got dirt cheap. :)

Eclipse CD8053 ($180), I bought a Kenwood X896 this summer and it is just not what I want...so it will get moved to the wife's car.
Phoenix Gold MPS2500 (~$250), thanks to nutxo for middle man duties on this one. I just need to send it to Altser for a tune up
Phoenix Gold Xenon 200.4 ($120 shipped ebay special), looks great inside and out, hope it works. (crosses fingers)
Exile Xtec65 components, I had a pair in my old VW and loved them...so when i was able to win a pair on ebay for $90, I was stoked! They came in with tweeters covered in screws because some doucher does not know how to package things well and magnets attract screws. I put them back in the box and let them sit for a year or more. When I finally decided to install them, I opened the box and all the dents and creases in the tweeters were all but gone....I have been happily listening to them for 5 or 6 months now.
2 Rockford Fosgate Audiophile RFA412 subwoofers in a sealed box. (a grab from a phorum member several years ago. I bought 3 of them for $140 shipped. Not a bad deal. I want to use all 3 but I do not have the time to build the proper box to fit in the small hatch at this time.

I also have a pair of Exile Xtec10 subs in a nice sealed box I picked up on ebay for $90 shipped. I will compare them with the RFs and the ones I like better will stay and the others will go in my wife's car.

I just ordered a battery terminal and fuse/ground distro. and am going to get the hook up on some Stinger HPM 1/0 today.

I am horrible at doing install timelines, and this install is going to be completely functional...not a show car at all. It will not be "ghetto", but it will not be my best work. I do not plan on keeping the car much longer. We are looking for a minivan and I will end up driving our 2005 Sonata which all this will likely end up in. So I am just going to throw the stuff in and make it work, and then enjoy the piss out of it as long as I can. :)

I will take some "after" photos when it is "done" :) Wish me luck. I think it will kick some a$$ for being a sub-$1k system....that includes the MPS2500 trip to Altser. Not too shabby for a super budget system, eh?