Poll: Xenon x100.4 or the new ti 600.4

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.

Xenon or the new ti amp

The new ti 600.4
57%
Xenon x100.4
43%

Total votes: 14

wooferdog

Poll: Xenon x100.4 or the new ti 600.4

Post by wooferdog »

What amp do you like the best :?:
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
Kirghiz

Re: Poll: Xenon x100.4 or the new ti 600.4

Post by Kirghiz »

The new Ti line is completely being re-done to be full Class D, and they don't ship until April, so no one has heard the new Ti amps. If I understand right the Ti600.4 is going to be phased out when the new ones are released. They aren't even listed on the PG website yet. Put the Xenon against the Elite.4 though and it isn't close. The Elites are pretty beastly.

EDIT: I stand corrected, the new ones are on the site, just down at the bottom of the Ti listing. This is the new four channel. http://www.phoenixgold.com/products/amp ... oductID=90
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

what are you using the amp for would be a valid question other than what one do you like. if it the black x i love the look of them
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

I would be running the midbass,mids,tweets with one of the amps.
winno

Post by winno »

I'm still not convinced that Class D amps are as nice to listen to as a nice Class A/B.
I've not been tempted to change 'up' my original titanium 600.2 and 500.4 amps for this reason.
[b]Source: Clarion HX-D2 & changer
Mass storage and GPS: Sony Ericsson X1i
Amps: PG ZX475Ti, 500.4, 600.2
Cable: Monster XLN Pro
Drivers: Morel MT23, CDM88, Elate 6, 2 x Infinity Perfect 10VQ[/b]

[i]Australian MEASQ Judge[/i]
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

winno wrote:I'm still not convinced that Class D amps are as nice to listen to as a nice Class A/B.
I've not been tempted to change 'up' my original titanium 600.2 and 500.4 amps for this reason.
I used to feel this exact same way, until I came to the conclusion that my listening studio is traveling 45 MPH+ down a road, so it does not make any difference.

Back when I first got into car audio I would sit in my driveway listening to the stereo off battery power for a very long time almost every day (any day I had a chance too). Under these conditions subtle details in equipment can be much more noticeable. Well, these days I have a home stereo for that purpose, and my car is for getting me from point A to point B.

Now, if you intend to compete in SQ at IASCA for example, that is a whole different story...
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Eric D wrote:
winno wrote:I'm still not convinced that Class D amps are as nice to listen to as a nice Class A/B.
I used to feel this exact same way, until I came to the conclusion that my listening studio is traveling 45 MPH+ down a road, so it does not make any difference.
This. Also the efficiency of Class D's and the size of Class D's is a huge plus in the car audio environment, not to mention that they are MUCH smaller. Look at it like this, apples to apples.

The class A/B Ti800.4 makes 125wx4 at 4 ohms, is 20.4"L x 9.8"W x 2.5" H, and is 50% efficient, so at the full 125wx4 load it is pulling about 71.5 amps from the electrical system.
The class D Ti21000.4 makes 150wx4 at 4 ohms, is 11.7"L x 7.1"W x 2.0" H, and is 80% efficient, so at the full 150x4 load it is making 20% more power, and pulls only about 53.5 amps.

If you are content to upgrade your alternator and give up your trunk for the audio system, the Class A/B is fine, but if you want to keep down the electrical upgrades, and want to hide the amp in a small space, the Class D is most definitely a good option. I say this as I am trying to figure out how to hide two Elite.5's behind the back seat of a Silverado, they'll reach from one end of the cab to the other end to end, and I am wishing those amps were smaller, so take it for what it's worth.

The Ti21600.5 is about 1/3 the size of my Elite.5, and part of me wishes I had that instead. It's just the part that is trying to figure out how to make them fit though. The other parts are ecstatic to have an Elite.5 and add another one. LOL
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

I do not believe there are ANY shortcomings comparing a good full range class D design to a good A/B design. I ran a trio of Xtant 1.1i at one time and it sounded every bit as good as the M44 and Ti500.4 and SOFAS I had previously. In fact, it seemed like it did some things better than any of those. But I could really only tell if I was sitting in the car with it off and the windows up. As Eric said, once you are driving and road noise enters the equation, it all goes out the window...literally too if you open them. :)
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

Both amps in the poll are class A/B ,the ti is not the new D class and both are close on power and size.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

than i feel same differnce. i would buy the x as they are much less $$ to pick up but still pg a/b sound
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport