What do you think of this configuration?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
biplaza

What do you think of this configuration?

Post by biplaza »

I am planning a system to upgrade my OEM audio, based in my research and budget I think this might be a good configuration:

Amp:
Ti21600.5

Front:
Elite.65cs

Rear:
Hertz coax DCX 165.5

Sub
(2) R312 subs

I will keep my OEM HU because is difficult to change it in my car =/

What do you think?? I am almost sure about the amp and front set, the rear its not very important, only rear fill. But the subs, what do you think about them?

THANKS!
joerg
SOFA-KING

Re: What do you think of this configuration?

Post by joerg »

Great besides the rear coaxes. Not saying that because they are not Phoenix Gold but because rearfill is the most useless thing ever. How often do u listen to a concert with your back facing the stage. :wink:
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

what kind of car?

I can say that I left my rear speakers connected because my son sits in the back sometimes. I just leave it faded to front usually.

there are 2 reasons to have rear speakers:
1) rear seat passengers
2) you mostly run video and need surround sound.

if neither of those apply then dont waste the money and effort on rear speakers. I left the factory rear speakers in place.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

3.) you like rear fill.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
PhuckinGood

Post by PhuckinGood »

4.) Its a campervan
Alpine CDA-9886R
PG ZX250v1
PG ZX350v2
PG ZX450v1
PG Elite .65cs
PG QX 5.25
PG Ti12 sub x2
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

5.) You have theater seating.
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

6.) because there are holes there.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

RayBuck wrote:6.) because there are holes there.
and the nature of a men is to fill up wholes :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
biplaza

Post by biplaza »

yeah, you are right probably I wont go for the rear fill...but how about the R3 subs? I know that are not the best from Phoenix gold, but for my purpose do you think is ok? (My purpuse is SQL with very good presence of bass in my music, I dont mind if my car flex or not) are this subs reliable? Work good in sealed enclosure? or I should look to another model or brand? Ti2 are good, but I dont have the budget neither the power from the amp to run those.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

R3's are alright, but you'd likely get roughly the same performance from a pair of Ti2's off that amp as three equal size R3's, and do it in less space. Two Ti2's wouldn't be THAT much more money than three R3's either.

Space requirements withstanding, it'd probably be six of one, half dozen of the other in terms of output though. You will however have trouble matching impedance with three R3's to that amp. It isn't 1 ohm stable, so you need to get close to 2 ohms. If you run three 4 ohm drivers you'd end up at 1.3 ohms, which is too low, and three 8 ohm drivers would end up around 2.67 ohms, and have you sending only about 200 watts to each sub.

Either way you go, I tend to think you'd be better off with a pair. A pair of Ti2 12's with 400 watts a piece would get you better performance than a pair of R3's seeing the same power.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
biplaza

Post by biplaza »

Well I was thinking only in 2x R312 not 3. So you think that 2 ti2 12" underpowered with only 800 watts at 2ohms for both should have more quality and output sound than the two R3? You know the MSRP for those Ti2 12" ?

10" and 12" Ti2 are rated 600watts rms, but you think that 2 Ti2 10" would give me any advantage to counteract the lack of power of the amp?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

7.) Because imaging and soundstage are two things you prefer to do without...
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

If your rear fill is hurting your imaging or sound stage then you have definitely done it wrong.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
biplaza

Post by biplaza »

And what do you think about R3 with good power vs Ti2 underpowered? Actualli, I didn't consider Ti2 before this post.

offtopic, Eric D and ttocs, what about tour signature phrases? haha
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

The msrp on the Ti2 12" will be around $240 or $250, and the R3's are about $100 less I think. One thing you have to remember about Phoenix Gold is that their amps are always underrated at 14.4 volts. If you are going to feed it clean power you'll actually see closer to 900-950 watts rms from it, but if you are just going to run a stock alternator and battery set up, you may well be better off with the R3's because you may only see 700 watts or so from the amp at times if it isn't getting good constant voltage. A lot depends on the electrical system. I do think that if you put 400 watts to an R3 12" and 400 watts to a Ti2 12", the Ti2 will perform better simply because it's a better sub.

That being said, I consider anything over half of rated power to be plenty to drive a particular sub unless the manufacturer explicitly says you need a certain amount. 400 watts rms would be fine on a Ti2 imo.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.