picked up some more OS car audio

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
CK1991

picked up some more OS car audio

Post by CK1991 »

Well, I finally bought some more car audio. I didn't really want everything I got, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up, and I got some really cool stuff given it works/ is fixable
The stuff I wanted:
technics r5990 touchscreen tape deck/ cd changer controller. needs a harness

Audiocontrol 4xs 4 way crossover (adjustable)

some LP stuff that needs help
untested 601
952 that works but fades out
401 that doesnt work (looks like someone started working on it then stopped)

other stuff
sony tuner (from a mini component system?)

old school US made pioneer amp (not working)

alpine 3006 (works)

fugly but working coustic A100 amp

coustic 2 way crossover

becker grand prix (the door is not silver, that is glare)

also bought this off of a member on DIYMA.....have yet to fully test it yet
I might use it in my caddy instead of my pioneer fh-5000mp
pioneer fh-m75

Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
Starunit10

Re: picked up some more OS car audio

Post by Starunit10 »

That's a neat old school pioneer deck! Is that the one referred to as the fishfinder?
Collection Growing..........
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I'd call it a fishfinder. LOL

That gear is so old it looks like it came out of Fred Flintstone's car. :D
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

Kirghiz wrote:I'd call it a fishfinder. LOL

You can say that again! All the gear (except the fishfinder) is older than me. Alot of the amps look to be mid 80s at the newest. I'd put that pioneer at the late 70s. If nothing else, it could be a wheel chock. It's heavy and square enough. LOL

Also, does anyone know what I could clean the audiocontrol 4xs cover with? It has turned yellowish from dirt. I'd like to clean it up so I can put it with my PG stuff in my trunk. I'like to clean it, and eventually when I get my trunk together, put it "under glass" along with my PG stuff and light it up.
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Believe it or not I like to use Neverdull polish. The cotton wadding impeded with polish. It cleans up my white ZX gear without harming the silk screening. Try it on the back panel first.
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

tested the crossover...it works great. (I misspoke about it missing xover chips....the white things are the factory chips)

bought some nevrdull and it worked great!
not bad for 6.50 and a couple minutes investment

It's not perfectly white (more like a light off white), but at least it doesn't look disgusting anymore
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

CK1991 wrote:
Kirghiz wrote:I'd call it a fishfinder. LOL

You can say that again! All the gear (except the fishfinder) is older than me. Alot of the amps look to be mid 80s at the newest. I'd put that pioneer at the late 70s. If nothing else, it could be a wheel chock. It's heavy and square enough. LOL

Also, does anyone know what I could clean the audiocontrol 4xs cover with? It has turned yellowish from dirt. I'd like to clean it up so I can put it with my PG stuff in my trunk. I'like to clean it, and eventually when I get my trunk together, put it "under glass" along with my PG stuff and light it up.
am I missing something or where is the pic of the pioneer amp? Do you mean the alpine amp by chance? If so that amp so not all that close to the 70s. As you can see on all the 80s gear, heat sinks were huge back then as efficiency was never a stat they looked at back then.

The old becker radio probably came out of a benz. Find the right person looking to keep the car stock and I could see it selling otherwise its a neat paperweight.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

According to the guy I bought the stuff from, this is a late 70s pioneer amp. Since it doesn't say anywhere on the amp what it is, I can't verify that.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

ok I didn't see that one above before. Granted it looks old but when I do an image search for pioneer 1979 car audio amp the first image that comes up is exactly what I am talkin bout.

THOSE are 1970's heatsinks.. Like I said a late 70s amp/early 80s is generally pretty easy to tell just from the heat sink because were so inefficient then that they had to be huge to handle the heat it developed and those big old things would get hot. Now warm but hot.... Also I think it would be one of the first pioneer made products that wasn't in all black back then. They went to a dark grey in the 90s as well but before that almost everything they ever made was black.

looks like you took the rest of them apart didn't that have any marks on the board?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

I got around to taking it apart. No markings at all on the board, and only a number (production related?) on the bottom. Oddly enough, the FETs are not connected to the outer heatsink. they are held with plastic fasteners to T shaped pieces of aluminum that don't touch the case.
I'll get better pics tomorrow...this is just a quick shot I took